1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Washer Dryer Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gbatch, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

This is about as far removed from trapshooting as I can think of.

My wife and I bought our first washer and dryer (Whirlpool) in 1975. Both lasted nearly 20 years. Since then, we have been through 2 washers and 2 dryers - both made by Whirlpool. Repair people are telling us these things aren't made to last anymore - the best you can hope for is 5-6 years out of each one. What prompts my post is our dryer stopped putting out heat about a month ago and the repair guy 'fixed' it for $150 on 8/29/07. 2 days ago, it started doing the same thing - no heat, then heat, etc. Today it stopped putting out heat at all.

I have a call in to the repair guy but I thought I'd tap the collective knowledge here and pose some questions:

Does it make any difference what brand you buy these days?
    Are these repair folks right - we should get max 5-6 years out of a machine?

Thoughts?
    Opinions?

Thanks for letting me vent a tad. <:)

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. starship

starship TS Member

Gene, for the life of me I can't remember the name of the part but if it's an electric dryer it should be an easy fix.

Call a local appliance parts outfit. Tell them the make, model, and problem. They will say "gee, sounds like the ______" and sell you one. Very easy to install. When you take the front off the dryer you'll see that there's just not much there.

To say I'm mechanically challenged would be polite.
    I've replaced belts, belt tensioners, and I believe they are called heat exchangers, in more than one dryer.

Now if your washer goes out you're on your own:)
    Good Luck

3. gamehog2

gamehog2 TS Member

While I am not a appliance repairman per say, I have fixed mine on a number of occasions. If it is heating sometimes and not others and the lint screen is clean, then you may have a clogged vent to outside causing the over temperature limit to trip in the dryer. You can fix this problem by unhooking the vent on the back of the dryer and inserting your leaf blower into the pipe to outside and then pack something around the opening. Turn the thing on and it should do the job. I did have to climb under my house the last time and beat on the vent while the blower was running to knock the lint loose. Be advised it WILL make a mess on the outside of your house, but it will fix the problem.

Darrel

4. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

It's a gas dryer. There are some things I will tackle fixing, although with caution. Mechanically challenged is an appropriate description for me as well. Cars and other machinery is where I draw my own line. <:)

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

5. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Do you have the workorder for the first repair? Same problem - same fix? Do you trust the repair guy? Think he just reset something and charged you $150? Did he actually replace something?

I bought an LG front load HE washer/drier set 3 months ago. Incredible machines. Direct drive motors, quiet, use less water than you spit. Hi speed spin in the washer means the drier dries a load of towels in about 15 minutes.

6. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

Gas dryer- Check if igniter is glowing red after you turn the dryer on. Mine has a little door in the lower part of the front panel you open for this.

If it is glowing, then clean the little window you'll see that faces through the burner can and senses the igniter glowing. It gets dirty, and won't let the gas turn on.

This works on mine anyway.

Also- check out repairclinic.com for info and parts

Bill

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Just fixed my Whirlpool gas dryer, a clogged vent made a little chemical fuse pop. It's on the housing right in the back, easy fix.

The above website helped me with my washer also.

I will still buy Whirlpool, got screwed on my 2nd Frigidaire. Lasted 3 years after the first 20 year one.

HM

8. halfmile

Here's the link I used for the dryer fix.

HM

9. tachyon

tachyon Member

gamehog2/darrel

Thanks for the recommendation. I got home today to find a "broken dryer". I figured out that the 30 foot run to the outside was plugged. I decided to attack the problem after supper. Your leaf blower recommendation was pure genius. Ten minutes after supper the deck was full of lint, but the dryer was working fine. Thanks

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You might want to take the back cover off and you will find a metal chase that the air flows throght. Take out a few screws and it will come off. Then clean the inside of the dryer from the back after you clean the vent to the outside first. I try to clean these vents on a yearly basis. This if one of the highest causes of household fires nationwide. When the automatic safty does not turn off the heat, when the vent is clogged, the heat builds up and starts the lint on fire. It also saves you money on your dryer bill because the unit runs better when airflow is not slowed down. Break-em all. Jeff

11. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

It's a fire hazzard to have a discharge duct that long, they also should not turn up either. Lint does not travel very far or up.
    Sonny Daniels

12. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

The problem was determined to be that the temperature sensor / fuse blew. Why did it blow? Because the idiot who is painting our house at the moment spray painted over the outdoor vent louvered doors and actually painted them shut. No open doors=no venting of lint and hot air. The heat sensor behaved as it should have - Thank God.
    Our painter is getting the repair bill deducted from his balance due. He has also been given a stern verbal tongue lashing for unnecessarily exposing our house to a fire hazard.

Thanks for all the input gang.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

13. halfmile

Since it's a Whirlpool, that fuse takes way more time to go get the part than to replace it(about 90 seconds).

I would ask for my money back.

HM

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My wife and I just replaced our "harvest gold" Kenmore Heavy Duty W/D pair. The washer gave up the ghost and I couldn't get the pump to discharge, but after seeing the 5/72 date stamp on the timer, I can't complain!

Bought a new pair of Kenmore HDs (Whirlpool mfg I believe) in white. The installer said the same thing about longevity - maybe 10 years... Without a doubt, much more efficient machines.

Jay Spitz

15. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The heating unit went out on my dryer! The gentleman that fixes things around the house for us told us that he wanted to show us something and he went over to the dryer and pulled out the lint filter. It was clean. (I always clean the lint from the filter after every load clothes.) He told us that he wanted to show us something; he took the filter over to the sink, ran hot water over it. The lint filter is made of a mesh material - I'm sure you know what your dryer's lint filter looks like. WELL...the hot water just sat on top of the mesh! It didn't go through it at all! He told us that dryer sheets cause a film over that mesh that's what burns out the heating unit. You can't SEE the film , but it's there. It's what is in the dryer sheets to make your clothes soft and static free - that nice fragrance too, you know how they can feel waxy when you take them out of the box, well this stuff builds up on your clothes and on your lint screen. This is also what causes dryer units to catch fire & potentially burn your house down with it! He said the best way to keep your dryer working for a very long time (& to keep your electric bill lower) is to take that filter out & wash it with hot soapy water & an old toothbrush (or other brush) at least every six months. He said that makes the life of the dryer at least twice as long!

How about that? Learn something new every day! I certainly didn't know dryer sheets would do that. So, I thought I'd share! Note: I went to my dryer & tested my screen by running water on it. The water ran through a little bit but mostly collected all the water in the mesh screen. I washed it with warm soapy water & a nylon brush & I had it done in 30 seconds. Then when I rinsed it the water ran right Thru the screen! There wasn't any puddling at all! That repairman knew what he was talking about!

RECEIVED IN AN EMAIL FROM A LADY WHO WAS AN ALL-AMERICAN ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO. (Just to keep the comment trapshooting relevant.)

Big Heap

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Good tip Big Heap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

my washer just started on fire what do i do