1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

O/T Washer/Dryer Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jm1079, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jm1079

jm1079 Active Member

Need to buy new washer and dryer. May I ask for advice, suggestions and/or warnings regarding major brands?
  2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

They are pretty much all made in the same factory anymore. We bought a Whirlpool Duet Steam front load washer two years ago and have had absolutely no problems at all. In fact I don't think our clothes have ever been so clean and with a fraction of the water and detergent. We are about ready to upgrade our gas dryer. I suppose we will stick with Whirlpool.
  3. Catpower

Catpower Well-Known Member

They are all junk
  4. grunt

grunt Active Member

Toploaders best.
  5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

We bought a top loader hi efficiency washer. Like gentian says the clothes are cleaner with less soap and the spin speed is faster so the dryer doesn't use as much energy.

As far as brand most are made by the same manufacturer.

Bill
  6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I recently read a very positive article about STABER. They build a high quality top loading machine and it's... brace yourself... MADE IN THE USA!!!

They cost a little more but can save hundreds of dollars per year because they operate more efficiently.

Hit the link.

-Gary
  7. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

We bought the Sears Kenmore 90 series top loader washer a gas dryer.

Washer had fill valve hose come off after about 10 years and flooded the wash room and ran out the front of the house through the garage. What a poor design. No clamp or barbs to hold the hose on. Googled it and was an easy fix. I then put a bread tie around it to help hold.Ray

Came back to edit 6-16 to say I did replace a thermal fuse in the dryer in September of 2010. I got three on the web for less than half of what they wanted for one at the store. Ray
  8. halfmile

halfmile Active Member

bread tie.......................High level American Technology.

works for me.

I'm a Whirlpool guy, I buy the cheapest "heavy duty" model. The only thing that breaks is a Lovejoy-type nylon coupling between the motor and the guts. Easy fix, the cabinet lifts right off and it takes about 4 minutes.

Did it 2 times in 15 years on 2 washers. Same dryer still going.

HM
  9. ctreay

ctreay Member

We bought a Sears 70 series quite a few years ago and a matching sears dryer. Had to replace the water fill valve about 3 years ago. Other than that they have just been chugging away two loads a week with no problems.

ctreay
  10. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

SEARS SELLS 50% OF ALL APPLIANCES SOLD. Does that tell you anything?
  11. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Active Member

I've bought my last North American made piece of crap. Bought Matag top end stuff for the last 30 years and as mentioned above they are all now made by the same company. 30 years ago they were great machines ... but now the Matag repair man is a busy guy. I bought 5 new appliances when we moved just over 4 years ago. I've spent money on 3 of the 5 in less than 4 years. I also hear the LG stuff is not lasting either.

I heard the Bosch stuff is very good, but one has to wonder if the Harvard Business School model is creeping into the mess in Europe as well. Bill Malcolm
  12. TC

TC TS Member

Sears Kenmore has been manufactured by Whirlpool in Benton Harbor, MI. Since K-Mart now owns Sears I would go with a Whirlpool before the Kenmore.
  13. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I seriously doubt that Sears sells anywhere near 50% of all appliances. Maybe that was true 30 years ago but not today.
  14. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I am still trying to get the store to take back my new Cabrio washer by Whirlpool. I would advise not buying any "High efficiency" and buy a top of the line old style. This is a piece of junk with far to many things wrong with the design to list. One of the factory service guys fully agreed with me, saying the only reason he keeps his is because he acquired it for free. This statement was from a service rep!

CM
  15. momma91304

momma91304 TS Member

I always wonder how you can add clothing to a front-loader once you begin the cycle--wouldn't water go all over the floor? And also you are supposed to keep the doors ajar to prevent that sour smell--how can you do that in a tight laundry room with a door to the garage? They seem very impractical and terribly over-priced. Just another yuppie toy. I will stick with Whirlpool top-loaders which I have used for over 40 years with no major repairs.
    David's mom
  16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"yuppie toy"....?? That's funny. I bet if you knew my family you would think quite the opposite of yuppies. Maybe rednecks. Anyway, haven't they been using front load washing machines in the laundry mats for over 50 years? I guess if you have a dinky laundry room that also acts as a hallway a front load would not be very practical at all. We do leave the door open and did with our top load washer we had before. As for adding clothes once the cycle has started, you simply press pause and wait for the door to unlock(that long 5 seconds) and add your item. No water on the floor. It doesn't fill the tub completely and doesn't need too. We probably have at least one load going every other day. The front load washers are just a spin(pun intended) on old technology.

As for the HE part, since getting this washer our water bill has decreased a noticeable amount and we use far less detergent. The clothes are absolutely cleaner feeling and smelling. The steam option is great for towels and those hard to get out stains you get with farm work. Of course, there are top load HE washers as well. Great technology if you ask me.

I guess they are not for everyone. That's why they still make both.

Matt
  17. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

18. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Just watch the new HE stuff run , stopping and reversing so many multiple times you will stop counting.Cant last like the old style. Kenmore here 25 years plus. Jeff
  19. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Just watch the new HE stuff run , stopping and reversing so many multiple times you will stop counting.Cant last like the old style. Kenmore here 25 years plus. Jeff
  20. knobcreek

knobcreek Member

We hate our Maytag HE Centennial. You can't let it fill while you're putting detergent and clothes in and it's a pain to add clothes after it starts. There is no way the clothes are getting properly clean and rinsed in that tiny amount of water (just try that with your hair or your hands). We second rinse everything now. We're selling our house and moving soon and the washer stays even though it's only a year old. Nothing but regular old washing machines from now on and since the same manufacturer makes most brands only the size and price with be a factor, the bigger and cheaper the better.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.