1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Want to see a WW2 Operational PT Boat ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Click the link above to see a short video about the restoration of PT 658. Very cool.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Most of those video scenes of the PT Boat were taken in or near downtown Portland, Oregon on the Willamette (Will-am-et) River. I remember seeing it stored at the Oregon Military Museum in Clackamas, Oregon a number of years ago. The museum curator told me it was going to undergo restoration. I thought, boy, that's going to be a project and a half. Once in a blue moon I'll see it on the river here. Sometimes it joins other military collectibles during special events, like DUKWs ("Ducks", an amphibious duece and a half), a SEEP (amphibious Jeep) and a landing craft from the local Military Vehicle Collectors Club of Oregon.

http://www.savetheptboatinc.com/

MVCCO - Military Vehicle Collector Club of Oregon

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

When I was a kid, mid 1950s, in Newport Beach, CA, a gentleman by the name of Judge Joe Marcetti kept one of these in the bay. He would take it to Catalina about once a year. It was still equiped with the 3 original engines. He could only idle with one engine to get it through the harbor at 5mph +/-. It was so damn loud you could hear it before you could see it. I never saw it at full power, but it was really something to see heading out to sea.

In the late 70s, I came to work with a gentleman who had been the captain of one of these in the South Pacific...he knew and worked with JFK. He said piloting the damn thing was truely a team effort. The engineer rode in a seat between the engines. His main job was to keep the RPMs equal in all three engines when the boat would jump out of the water. Imagine going airborne with an 80' speed boat. The sides were plywood and the "gas" tanks were rubber and ran nearly the length of the boat. So, if you go hit by just about anything you were all done. He also said they did most of their work at night. What a thrill that must have been.

Thanks for posting this...great stuff.

Jon Schorle

4. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.