1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Waders

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Going to Canada for a week of fly fishing. Haven't bought waders since the old rubber days. Suggestions? I would appreciate directions to sources as well as brands and models. Thanks, Jake

2. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I bought some Gore Tex waders from Cabela's a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with their comfort and performance.

Bob Schultz

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I also had some Goretex from Orvis.......they wore good for a year, then the leaks started......2-3 yrs and they were a sieve.....virtually impossible to find the leaks.....they did feel nice and light before tho......

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I got a pair of the Cabela's breathable ones and was pleased w/ them. Much more pliable and cooler than the old fashion ones. Have only used them one season and no leaks for the one season.

5. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Cold water ? Like in Atlantic Salmon fishing?

You will want neopremes with separate boots and felt soles

Thats what I used, and needed, in the Gaspe this time of year

regards

6. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

I wouldn't buy a pair of waders from any one other than LLBeans,if they get leaks for ANY reason ,send them back,their guarnteed for life.They also have any style and all the great materials that everyone else has.

7. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

As my handle implies - I have done a lot of wade fishing. And what I have learned is:

1. Buy them plenty large

2. You can always wear fleece under them for warmth. So, if in doubt as to whether to buy light weight vs medium vs heavy - go for the lighter weight

3. When you are though wading turn them inside out and put an electric boot warmer in the boot to dry them out. If stocking foot just hang so it gets good ventilation

4. Creases or folds are hard on them. Don't fold. Hang them

5. If reasonable care is taken I have found that the mid-range priced waders last as long as the expensive ones. Waders will leak after awhile. That is all there is to it. You are probably better off buying a $150 pair every 2-3 years than buying a $300 pair thinking they will last twice as long. If you get more than say 3-5 years out of a pair it is simply because you didn't use them very much

So, my advice is to not buy the most expensive model. Then buy yourself a good wading staff with the money you saved.

And yes - I agree - I think LL Bean sells good products

Dan

8. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I have a pair of Orvis guide waders. Thin and comfortable. Felt sole boots. Very nice. HAve had them for 12 years. Not a problem. Dave T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.