1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T, Volvo XC90

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grnberetcj, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Don't forget the "Save the Whales & No Nukes" bumper stickers.

Curt - Delaware (from the land of Volvo driving yuppies with more bumper stickers than brains)

2. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Hey Curt, I had a business associate who owned a body shop that specialized in yuppie mobiles--he provided grief counseling--when a customer came in with a BMW that had been keyed--he said, "I'm sorry for loss"---this is true--I amost split a gut---his shop was next to mine----Phil

3. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

My wife drives an XC90, so far we have about 30k on it and so far it has been fine. About the only thing is "nag-ware" for getting an oil change or when service is due, not that we would skip it. We typically change oil at 50% intervals.

I like the fact it has all wheel drive. According to the politicians in Seattle, it never snows here, so an inch of snowfall will close schools. When this happens, she can still get around safely. It looks like next year she will have to go over the mountain passes as her job will take her to visits to Eastern Washington and I'll be doubly glad she has all wheel drive.

The keying incident mentioned in the above comments is interesting, now I understand why this happened to hers. Personally I think it is a disgusting practice.

Mike

4. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

You need to pick up the car magazines when they test 5 or 6 cars against each other. Both Volvo and Saab are sometimes considered well built -- BUT -- they virtually always come in last, or close to last in a real world test. After 35 years of scouring car magazines I don't think they have EVER won a comparison test! Throw in a being overpriced, and they come in worst than last usually. I would never buy a car without reading a road test or two.

5. dale t

dale t TS Member

Great car best I have ever owned.I live in s.e.ID. lot's of snow the xc90 does a great job in the white stuff.

the fuel milage isn't bad 19 to 24 depending on how you drive.I will buy another one if this one ever wears out.
    Dale

6. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

My Dentist (of course) owns one. Even he said it was an overpriced and not that comfortable compared to 2 of his brothers american made SUV's that were CHEAPER and roomier! No one ever said yuppies use their brains all the time, since to them status counts more than even common sense. Lots of people have more money than brains.

7. B V

B V TS Member

My son in law has been through several sets of brakes,tires and wheel bearings in a fairly short time with low mileage. He is looking for a cheaper vehicle to maintain. He loves the XC90 but it is costing him.

He does not tow with it or overload it. (He has a Suburban for that.)

8. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I had 3 Volvo's---1) GL 2)-S-70 & 3) S-89----the S-70 was the best If you are thinking about an xc-90 buy a Ford Edge or its Lincoln clone--they have the same underpinnings as the xc-90 also if you can post your balance sheet if you have to impress total strangers---Volvo's are a shadow of their former quality---Phil

9. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

If you are looking for an SUV, my Yukon Denali is tough to beat. Much quieter than the Volvo, roomier too but the big V-8 takes more to keep it going. The 6.0liter engine has come a long way for mileage though. I'm getting 17 - 18 on the freeway which is way better then 10 these engines used to get back in the '70's. The Volvo is the 6cyl version and gets about 23.

People buy cars for status? If that is all it took I would go get another S-class Mercedes. :)

Mike

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

One thing I learned in 40 years in the automotive service industry was to never trust what the owner of a luxury vehicle says about it in public. As a disgruntled oral surgeon friend once told me about his Mercedes after receiving an obscene repair invoice, "Complaining about a car you spent that much money for makes you sound like you have more money than brains or bought more car than you can afford."

Ed

11. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

That why we don't live on a boat any more--I got a bad back & if you don't do your own work on a cruising boat you have zero reliability. An acronym for BOAT--is Break Out Another Thousand---that was 5 years ago now you have to add another "T"---Phil---If you lok at the high wend car scheduled maintenace & fee schedule. Ask yourself am I that dumb---Phil

12. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

Why not look at the Toyota RAV 4 all wheel drive with V-6? That car has very high ratings and likely would hang right with the Volvo in all around performance; the V-6 Toyota RAV is a bit of an overachiever given its price. The engine has 263 HP and at the price...well, it looks over the fence at high performance territory; not there, but knocking on that door..wonderful for the price. Volvos are the wonderful cars that can't. I would like a clean 25 year old Volvo Wagon, however. Solid, reliable, and a great platform for an high performance small block Chevy V-8 and 700-R trans.

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I bought an '06 GMC Envoy Denali last May...it has the 5.3 Aluminum LS V8...303HP...great power...fabulous seats...great brakes...good handling with the air suspension and 245/60-18 tires. Zero problems and I'd buy another one in a minute. We didn't need a full size SUV and this one fills our needs perfectly.

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Poor repair rate, poor resale. If you want to spend a lot of money on it to buy it and after the buy for the status of owning one, go for it

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

newer volvos we service, brakes wheel bearings and tons of electrical stuff.....cooling fans relays window motors and switches. Like stated before lots of cheap ford crap finding there way onto these things. Jaguar same thing when ford took over those they where nothing more than taurus SHO with a new skin now they are the ford 500....which by the way have kept us very busy with transfer cases. One thing very noticeable on Volvos BMW(bring my wallet)audi, vw they are on the higher end of the repair cost, do not take to abuse or lack of maintaince well and will cost you if you are hard on them. Compared to some cheaper imports that seem to take a ass kicking??? If you like it buy it! If you think you are getting a good deal do some home work and find out. Best yet post the deal you are getting bet someone can up it.

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

TOTAL(MSRP) $52,740 BASE PRICE$36,210 Styling$1,550
    Exterior Black
    N/C 18" x 7" Atlantis Chrome Wheels
    $1,550 Interior Off Black Marstrand
    N/C Optional Equipment$7,177
    Convenience Package
    $1,295
    Park Assist, Rear
    Power Retractable Rear View Mirror
    Compass in Rear View Mirror
    Power Child Locks
    Interior Air Quality System (IAQS)
    Climate Package
    $412
    Heated Front seats
    Headlamp Washers
    Rainsensor
    Active Bi-Xenon(TM) Headlights (GDL) with Automatic Level Control
    $800 Blind Spot Information System (BLIS)
    $695 Wood Steering Wheel
    $325 Volvo Dual Screen Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE) - Factory Installed Option
    $1,800 Pre-charged, Electronically-controlled All-Wheel-Drive with Instant Traction(TM)
    $1,850 Accessories$7,058

(Prices shown for Accessories do not include installation. Please check with your Volvo Dealer for installation costs).

Cargo Box "Mountaineer"
    $536 Front Bumper Bar
    $360 iPod Music Interface
    $454 Park Assist Camera
    $704 Rubber Mats, Grey
    $102 Running Boards
    $751 Side D├ęcor
    $1,832 Silver Cross Bars
    $220 Sirius Satellite Radio
    $433 Tow Bar Hitch
    $517 Volvo Hands-Free with Bluetooth
    $345 Portable Navigation System
    $805 Standard FeaturesHorsepower 235 @ 6,000 RPM; Torque 236 @ 3,200 RPM
    3.2 Liter, 6-Cylinder, Naturally Aspirated Engine
    6-Speed Driver-Adaptive Automatic Transmission with "Geartronic"
    Front Wheel Drive and Optional All-Wheel-Drive
    Driver and Front Passenger Supplemental Restraint System - Dual Threshold Airbags
    Dynamic Stability and Traction Control (DSTC)
    Side Impact Air Bags for Driver and Front Passenger
    Whiplash Protection Seating System (WHIPS)
    Inflatable Side Curtains (IC) (coverage for third-row occupants when ordered with seven seats)
    Roll Stability Control (RSC)
    Front Cross-Member for SUV-to-Car Impact Compatibility
    Power Adjustable Driver Seat, 8-Way with 3-Position Memory and Lumbar Support
    Flat-Folding Front Passenger Seat
    17" Alloy Wheels
    Seat belt pretensioners for all seating positions
    84.9 cu. ft. cargo capacity
    Genuine Wood Inlays
    Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
    Warranty4 Years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first
    Roadside AssistanceVolvo On Call Roadside Assistance
    4 Years
    DESTINATION FEE$745 DisclaimerAs a model year progresses, changes may occur in some of the specifications, features, optional equipment and pricing. The manufacturer reserves the right to make such changes. Prices listed are Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). Accessory prices do not include installation.

Optional equipment may vary by region. See your Authorized Volvo Retailer for details of the most current package/option program. The $745 destination charge is an additional fee. Colors, interiors and actual images of the vehicle are not a true representation of the actual colors and/or product. It's best to view the actual product at your Authorized Volvo Retailer.

Print Email About If you can get the fully loaded one for 35k thats a great deal! Base model SMRP is 36K for base.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.