1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T, very old S&W .38 revolver ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It's a S&W .38 Hand Ejector, First Model, also called the Model of 1899. These were made in the serial number range of 1 through 20,975 between 1899 and 1902. They were made in 4", 5", 6", 6.5" and 8" in blue or nickel finish. Butt style was round only. Your grips are the original type hard rubber.

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Thank you Brain.

Wonder if it worth the trouble to find a left grip for it? It has mint bore, and action is tight, just not pretty.

3. Brian in Oregon

Sure, those grips are available. You need to carefully match it up, because the logo had minor variation changes over the years. But be sure to keep the originals. If I recall right, Old Western Scrounger at one time had modern reproductions of them in hard black plastic. If I got a set, personally I'd use some very fine sand paper (600 and 800 grit) to wet sand them so they'd look more natural (worn) on an old gun.

4. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Or you could just turn it in at the local police station. It doesn't look like it could be worth much. Busted grip and all. There should be no reason you would want THAT laying around the house. I'm sure the cops would be glad to get that HANDgun off the streets.

Vote the wrong way and this crazy post won't sound that crazy.

AJ100

5. Brian in Oregon

Hey, it's worth AT LEAST a $25 gift certificate for tennis shoes in Chicago.

6. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Brian, they still do the annual Christmas "gun buy back" program here in Pittsburgh. The cop that used to be in charge of that program used to set up at the big gun show. He was a big time collector of WW2 German weapons. His tables were always around ours. He had to give up his career due to the fact that he didn't live inside the city limits. Another Pgh. stupid idea.

Anyway, one year an MP40 came into the fire station. Came out of someones attic I guess. It was on the front page of the Monday paper. I asked him if it went into the furnace like the rest of the broken junkers that were being turned in.

He just smiled. He did say that "honest to God" he didn't have it at home under the bed. Someone got a nice $25.00 food gift certificate for that one.

I would have given them 50.00

AJ100

7. Brian in Oregon

A pro-gunner observing our first gun buy-back here saw an old lady with a Trapdoor Springfield. He intercepted her and sent her to a friend of mine, who at the time had just opened a gunshop. She took the gun in, and my friend verified it was a genuine Officer's Model. He hooked her up with a collector, and she got around $15,000 for the gun. The buyback would have given her $50. I wonder how many other valuable guns have been turned in for scrap value by old widows who could have used the money for health care, groceries or to pay property taxes?

8. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I just wonder how many (very) collectable guns have ended up in the hands of the collecting officials? Just a thought.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

9. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

JB I also wonder that. There for the pickin.

10. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

I asked him what they did with the nice stuff. Did they REALLY toss them in the furnace? He said that the collectable pieces were sold and the money went into the city fund.

OK! LOL, I'm sure they had a city auditor standing right there to check on anything that might be of value.

What are those officer?

Oh them? They are an old WW2 pistols. I think they call them forty five automatics.

Huh, are they worth anything?

Naw, one wasn't even made in this country, and the other one was made by a company that makes sewing machines.

Really? They look like they are almost brand new.

Yea, looks aren't everything. They probably don't even work. See all that grease that is on them. Man, that right there shows you somebody just had them sitting around.

Do they go in the furnace too?

Oh yea, we will toss them right into the furnace. In fact, I'm going to
    personally make sure they go to the right place.

AJ100

AJ100

11. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Steve would you post the dimensions of the grips? I may have a set that will fit it that are in vgc.
    As a side note, I was a ble to rescue a S&W Mdl 66 first issue from the last Chicago buy back. About a month before they have it I collect all of the pieces of junk that I can find. Nothing functions, but if it even resembles a "firearm" it is worth $100. Last year it paid for my trip to the Grand, this year I turned in 26. Anyway while in line, I spotted this Mdl 66 with complete stainless rear sight assembly. Early, early gun. I traded off two junkers for it.
    Also, there were only 2 classes this year, handgun or Assault Rifle. A single shot topper 20 ga was considered an assault rifle. These folks have a plan. Rick Gibbs

12. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

OK, back to the pistol. I don't see anyhwhere in my Blue Book the words Hand Ejector and the cal. 38

I see Hand Ejector and a lot of .32's and I see 32-20 and the words Hand Ejector.

I don't see anything .38 until you get to the "Military and Police First Model" (Model 1899) It does say " On these models, barrel markings are somewhat confusing, generally marked .38 S&W Spl. & U.S. Service cartridge, Military Issue is typically marked .38 Military. Fixed sights are referred to as "Military & Police Models" while target sights are referred to as ".38 Hand ejectors".

My book is the old 26th edition so maybe I missed it. The pistol looks like it has fixed sights. Hand Ejector or M & P ?

AJ100

13. Brian in Oregon

Don't let the terminology "Hand Ejector" throw you. *ALL* S&W's with side swing cylinders were initially called Hand Ejectors. This is because the break top versions they replaced had automatic ejectors.<br>
    <br>
    Going further, some sources list the .38 Hand Ejector models as the .38 Hand Ejector Military & Police, or simply the .38 Military & Police. There is no real consistency because even the factory changed the nomenclature over the years, and collectors have tried to subdivide the models for collecting purposes. It's the serial number that's important here, and the gun in question is a First Model. Your book showing "Military and Police First Model" is exactly the entry for this particular gun.<br>
    <br>

14. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

$50.00 for a MP40=$10.000.00 retainer fee for a Lawyer for starts.

15. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

k1200ltc509/Rick, that'll be great, thank you.

The grip is 3" long,

The bottom of the grip is almost 1-1/4" wide.

Here's the pic. of the back. Thanks.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

16. Brian in Oregon

And your grips have already been replaced at one time - note the S/N doesn't match.

17. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

OK Brian, how about this one. My Grandfather was Sheriff of Lee County Mississippi back in the 1930s. When my Grandmother died about 1978 we went down with my Dad to clean out the house, and found his old service revolver, and I ended up with it. It is a S&W, .38 Special, swing out cylinder, nickel plated, pearl grips, serial # 58***, and a number on the bottom of the grip, 541V15. I had it sent back to S&W shortly after I got it to see about getting it refurbished, but they returned it untouched claiming it was too old. It had sat in a trunk from when he died in about 1937, and has mostly sat in the safe since. I've always assumed it was a M&P model. What do I have?

18. Brian in Oregon

Larry, serial number 58XXX falls between 45201 (1909) and 65700 (1915). It is known as the hand Ejector Model of 1905, Third Change, more specifically the .38 Hand Elector Military & Police Model of 1905, Third Change. These came in 4" and 6", with a round or square butt, in blue or nickel.<br>
    <br>
    As for the 541V15 number on the bottom of the grip, that is not a factory serial number. S&W K-frames had only numbers pre-war, then after s/n 1,000,000 they switched to a V prefix (for Victory) in April 1942, then at s/n V769,000 the hammer block was changed and the serial prefix became VS until the end of the war, then in 1946 all started with a K prefix, which remained until 1970 when the serial numbers a numeral in front of the K, for example, 2K, 7K, 81K, etc. As for what the 541V15 number actually is, I do not know. Is it a stamped factory number, or has it been added later?

19. BMC

BMC Member

Here is mine I inherited from my grandmother who purchased it new in 1967. The information card inside the box is dated 3-67. Nothing special from a collector standpoint.

[​IMG]

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have a pair of hand ejector models in 32/20. These guns may not have much collector value but the are great shooters. Shoot that .38, you will like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.