1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Varmint Air Rifle Recommendations

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kreith, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreith

kreith Member

I am looking for an air rifle to use at my home. I am having problems with possum's, racoons, etc. What do you recommend? Is there something out there that has low light scope, etc.? Since I live within the city limits, I am unable to use any rifle I currently own. Thanks for the help.

Cory

2. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Anything with enough velocity to put a hole in 'em and penetrate to an important internal organ...then sepsis does the rest. They run away and die somewhere, and there's no incriminating evidence on your property...heck, you don't even have to get out your shovel!

(Boy, I hope the animal lovers see this...)

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

With out breaking the bank, gamo seems to have some decent stuff.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

most entry level night scope systems will run you about 450 and up.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

A great web site with several makers and price ranges. I still have a old daisy pump from walmart for 60.00 bucks that has had its share of kills. Use the new hyper velocity non lead pellets will improve almost any pellet gun.

6. rrose

rrose TS Member

k80
    I have a Tech Force #97 air rifle with a Tech Force 4x32AO scope that I got from Compasseco that I have shot maybe 50 shots maybe not that many.
    It is in great condition and I would well it for 50 plus shipping.
    Randy Rose
    513-543-2562

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Try the URL above. You'll need a 12 ft/lb gun for close shots, and a magnum (20 ft/lb for farther shots. Since you are in the city, pay attention to the noise ratings. Don't leave any trace of oil in the barrel (makes it louder, and produces a muzzle flash). Also, most cities consider an air rifle a firearm, so be forewarned.

BTW, I would not recommend Gamo.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

ZZT Got some slick guns on that web site, its just endless.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Hey you really want to have some fun with them critters. Get a full auto air soft, it may not kill them but im sure they will remember your yard!

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I picked up a gamo at a Flea Market. It does a nice job on possums and ferral cats when I use the pointed pellets.

They jump wayyyy up and run away...and never come back.
    Guess I lucked out on this gun...it will keep them in a dime size at 70 feet, and will shot right thru a cat!

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Maybe we need to refigure, What is better a spring gun or a gas charged gun?
    Do you go with .177 .22 .25 .50cal ? Which gun is less noise? How about this if you had to pick a gun for 350.00 or less what would you pick. lets say 25 yards or less is the range and say critters up to 20lbs?

12. happy

happy Member

Gammo just came out with a .177cal with a silencer. reduces noise 52%.1200 fps with scope. Also have a hunter model with scopr flashlight and laser sight. good for night shooting.

13. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

I use an older RWS 45 to shoot woodchucks in my garden. I have found that the lighter pellets don't have the energy to do the job well. I shoot the Crossman Premier 10.5gr .177 pellets and get 1 shot kills out to 40yds with proper pellet placement. Also will take out a coon just as well. I've taken over 30 chucks in the last 10 years with that combo.

14. kreith

kreith Member

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer my question.

Cory

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.