1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T-- Valve lifter cleaner.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dave Thoele, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Thoele

Dave Thoele TS Member

Have a Cad. with 45k. In the morning when started, for about a minute I get
    that "tick-tick- tick" sound. Was told it's a sticky lifter. Hesitate to add
    anything to the oil or is there some additive that is ok to use.
    Thanks, Dave

2. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Dave: Lucas makes an oil additive that helps with this. The noise is clearance. The additive takes up that clearance. You can purchase the engine oil additive from Napa, Advance or most auto parts chains. They also have additives for transmissons and steering racks. I have had very good luck with all their products. Don

3. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Which Cadillac, which engine???

Have you owned it since new, using which oil?

Any oil worth putting in, doesn't need an additive, it's already in there.

I wouldn't just throw an additive at a Northstar, certainly not a CTS-V.

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

GM markets thier own product called EOS that works very well for quieting a noisy lifter.

5. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

From My experience with engines the oil runs out of the lifter when the engine is shut off and sits over night. Then when first started it takes a minute to build pressure inside the lifter. This usually gets worse as metal is worn away from the metal to metal tap tap tap. And then will get to the point of to much clearance and will tap all the time. Usually cam lobe wears, bottom of lifter wear, or spring failure inside lifter. So any good additive should take care of problem. At worst you may have to have the lifters replaced but would do that as a last resort. Happy wrenching. Don

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

good ear plugs will solve the problem

7. Don Nelson

Don Nelson Member

watch out for the oil filter some dont have the anti drain back flapper in them most of the caddis oil filters are at a angle and will drain back to oil pan causing the noise for a few seconds hope this helps you out Don Nelson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.