1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T-Useful opinions on K&N Air Filters

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GBatch_25, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

My son just got a 2005 Yukon XL with the 6 liter V8. Yea, it uses a lot of gas, but it's so useful for moving all that band equipment. <:) I've heard both good and not so good opinions about the use of a K&N air filter to allow the engine to breathe easier and consequently perhaps work a bit more efficiently. Any experience from the wise folks here?

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

PS The Svc Mgr at a local Chevy dealer axed the idea when I asked him. He said the oil droplets can, under some circumstances, make their way beyond the air filter media and cause untold damage to the innards of the engine.

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

dont waste you money,use a regular filter

bill

3. flylta

flylta TS Member

The "increased" efficiency is negligable, use a good regular filter and change it every other oil change.

Ron

4. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I have had K & N filters in each of my last 2 trucks. While I think there is a bit of a performance advantage to using them, it really is not something to get excited about.

My biggest reason for using them is the lifetime warranty. Just remember that they need to be cleaned periodically, and there is a special solution for doing it. You do not "blow 'em out" with an air compressor, like some guys do with conventional air filters.

5. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I like 'em. I used K&N's in two cars, 1981 Honda Accord and 1985 Honda Prelude, until I sold the cars. In both there was a noticeable increase in power that I could feel. I've had one in my 1978 Pontiac Trans Am for 15-20 years because of that, but that car's so overpowered already I can't feel a difference there. They cost $50, and wouldn't be worth it to someone who doesn't care about a little boost of maybe 10% in power. They may increase mileage a tiny bit due to the freer breathing (a gas engine's really just an air pump,) but I'd doubt it'd be much. Phil E

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Those filters are a huge gimmick. You have a computer in your engine that always adjusts the air/fuel ratio for optimum performance. When a filter gets clogged and air is restricted, you will not run richer, you will just have less fuel fed to the motor and thus less power.

Adding a K&N to increase air flow will result in more fuel being fed to the engine to compensate for the increased air flow thus you will get more power but much crappier mileage. All of this assumes that the K&N filter actually permits more air flow ... a matter that has not been proven to hold true in all cases under strict double blind testing.

My $.02? Go with the recommended standard filter and save your money.

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

gimmick---yes they may flow more air but can he engine actually USE the extra air. remember that most of the time you are driving with the air valve---gas pedal-- only slightly depressed. how much air does the engine actually use?? one gallon of gasoline to 15 gallons of air. yes a bunch of air but the regular filter is not that restrictive. As in the above post. hold a regular filter to the light and you can see through it. if you can see through it the air can pass through. in high performance applications where the engine is wide open throttle the k and n may pass more air for a slight performance advantage. same holds true for the tornado deal. it swirls the air but all of a sudden that swirling air hits the closed throttle valve and stops. where is the sdvantage to getting it intothe engine faster and better. a real money maker. wish i had the idea and real marketing propaganda. motordoc

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Buy the OEM filter and replace it when needed. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE THESE ON A TURBO DIESEL!!!! The OEM filter has reinforcements to keep the filters shape, but the aftermarket filters can distort allowing dust to bypass the filter. You have no idea how bad that is for a Turbo. You might as well pour sand in it.

9. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Gene, in regards to:

""""He said the oil droplets can, under some circumstances, make their way beyond the air filter media and cause untold damage to the innards of the engine."""""

Is BS, wonder what he's smokin? But.......it is very common for oil residue to make it to the MAF sensor wires and can, usually does play o'billy hell with it. Left alone, it certainly isn't going to run correctly from rough idling, overfueling (which goes back to the rough idle), inconsistent idle RPM's, multiple misfires etc etc etc. Done properly they can be cleaned without damage.

10. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

'Nuff said. I'll tell my son to stick to the normal filters.
    Thx gang.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

11. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

They let in dirt and kill Maf sensors. Under load they distort shape and let all sorts of nonsense in. Great advertising department thoough.

12. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Air rad is better then K & N, but the real savings under normal driving is it is the last filter you need to buy, but you have to clean them.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have used K&N filters for years, no complaints ... We just built a 472 cu.in. Hemi and we put it in a 1967 Plymouth and the air cleaner that sitting over the dual quads is a K&N ... Hemi's are not cheap to build and only the best parts were used and that includes the air cleaner ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have a 98 Chevy K1500 with 350 engine. I was getting 18 MPG and no better. I went to synthetic oil in the engine and synthetic lub in both differentials. Now I get 20+ MPH. Not much but it works. If I can find synthetic transmission fluid I'm going to try that to.

15. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

In another life I used to race cars. A Porsche turbo to be specific. We used to have "test and tune" days at a local shop with a dynometer.

With a brand new factory filter, if I remember correctly, we got 246HP at the rear wheels. With a brand new K&N it was 3 HP less. Not exactly what we thought would happen.

We tried this on a number of different Porsche models and never saw any horsepower increase. Results may differ with different cars of course.

Jerry

16. Dodgeram

Dodgeram TS Member

I purchase a new K&N filter about two months ago for my 2002 Dodgeram thinking I would get better gas mileage and I have seen no difference at all. I wish I had my $60.00 back so I could buy a flat shells.

Doug

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I use them on 3 K&N filters on my trucks for years with no complaints and I've been using the same K&N filter on my stationary irrigation pumping engine for 20 years. I just wash and dry it and re-oil it....and it's astonishing how much crud it filters out.

18. biff

biff Active Member

I put a K&N filter on my Chevy 5.7 L van and my mileage went down. It possibly flowed more air, but the computer read that and richened up the fuel so in the long run it caused it to get less MPG. I also heard this from a mechanic whose own mileage on his PU went down; he also indicated once a computer sets itself richer, it will rarely change back! I'm going to try going back to a stock OEM filter! Biff

19. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Had one in my 04 F-150. Went back to stock. Save your money.

20. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Was a new car and truck dealer for over 33 years. Use mfr. filters or good after market and save yourself some money.

Good Shootin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.