1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Used motor oil testing

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by new loader, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

A while back there was a thread discussing outfits that do used motor oil testing and analysis. I cannot find anything using search function. Does anybody remember? Looking for someone who sells mail order kits to send to the lab. Something like BlackRock or FlatRock or similar name. Someone had good info on here.

2. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Blackstone labs.

3. new loader

new loader Member

That's the one. Thank you.

4. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I've never been able to figure that out. Isn't it easier just to change your oil than taking a sample and then messing around sending it out?

Steve

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

This is only really used if you are buying an expensive piece of equipment with a diesel engine. It can give you some insight to potential problems. If I was buying a big used tractor, combine or a boat I would have the oil analyzed.

Lou

6. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

For oil analysis to be useful, it needs to be used as TREND analysis. A one time oil analysis is useless.

I.E. - if your last 5 tests showed iron values of 5,7,11,20,45 - then you most likely have something in the engine making metal. BUT, if your last 5 tests showed values of 44,46,44,45,45 - it does not necessarily mean you have a problem.

7. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Morning:
    Perazzitms is right on target about the 5 test average.

If you use "Blackstone" labs they will explain all this in great detail.
    There is another method.
    I have FORD w/7.3L Diesel Eng. I use Rotella-T Syn. motor oil, I also use the "FLEETGUARD" LF-9027 oil filter...See Fleetguard's web site on this filter.

Now Fleetguard has an Oil sampling system that is more cost effective then the Blackstone kit, You can get it from any local Fleetguard dealer the kit is called "CC-2543".
    If you would like more info on this subject contact me on the privet side of this site I'll get back to you.

Buster

8. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Lots of info on the site above.

9. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

You can purchase the test bottles ,suction pumps and hose from any CATERPILLAR
    dealer,cost is $13:00 in my area(so cal)Their lab does complete spectrographfic
    anaylisis.

10. new loader

new loader Member

Will any of these tests tell you in plain English that you could go longer between oil changes? Maybe the oil is still good at 3000 miles? I drive 3000 miles in 30 days. Perhaps I could go 45-50 days (4500-5000 miles) between changes. Oil in the drain pan looks black, but still looks new on the dipstick.

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

new loader, I use Mobil 1 synthetic and I go 15,000 miles between oil changes. But.......I do change the filter every 7500.

I have used this procedure on my last 4-5 cars and I put over 175,000 on each of them and none of them ever used any oil.

Go for it!

Hauxfan!

12. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

new loader: I go 5,000 miles on each oil change and this is with convential 5w-30 and 10w40 in 4 vehicles. If you were still driving a 1940 to 1970 era vehicle then 3,000 miles would be correct. With the computer controled vehicles of today that are running correctly (no check engine light), they are run as lean as possible.Therefore no gas in the oil as the old carburator cars did. But its like shooting a certain shell. You have to feel comfortable with it. Don

13. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Done properly a lot can be learned from sampling. Diffrent parts of an emgine are made up of diffrent metals. I've seen one sample were the results showed valve metal and suggested adj. the valves did so and the next test did not, and they needed adj.

14. yenko

yenko TS Member

check manufacturers sugestions most standard 5or 10w oils 7500 miles.synthetic 12kto 15k with just filter changes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.