1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Used Car Problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BP348, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I know that several people here are or have been in the car business. So 3 weeks ago my Father-In-Law purchased a used car, I think it's a 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, nice, clean looking car. So today he finds out that the vehicle has major transmission problems that are going to cost $800+ to fix. They went back to the dealer and of course they told him, "you bought the car as is, its not our problem". F'ing dealships I hate em!!!!

So does anyone have any advice on what we can do? I would think that when the dealer check the vehicle they found it had tranny problems and sold it anyway.

My Father-in-Law is 84 years old and really dosen't have the money to spare.

My original thought was if he financed through the dealer was to turn the car in and tell them to go F**k themself but then he would loose the $2000 he put down.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I don't know what state he lives in, but many states require a minimum 30 day warranty on all cars sold by dealers. Check with the states attorney general office.

3. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Thanks

We're in Texas

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Well, not every time. If your father-in-law did buy the car "as is" and both the vehicle's window label and his bill of sale clearly state that the car was sold "as is" without any written or verbal warranty, he would be out of luck in Pennsylvania. Basically, a judge would tell him that he got what he paid for and that he should use the money he saved by buying an "as is" car for the repairs.

Most reputable new car dealerships around here will not sell an "as is" vehicle on the retail level just because of cases like this. Whether he was wronged or not, your father-in-law (and you) will bad-mouth that dealership despite the fact that he is an adult and knew the risks of buying an "as-is" vehicle.

We caved in once and sold an "as-is" car to a young man who, along with his father, hounded the hell out of us to sell them a old Datsun 240Z we traded in. It didn't run well and needed everything from soup to nuts to pass our state safety inspection, but the two of them persisted. We finally sold it to them. A week later, the father was in our faces because an import shop told the son that it needed major work on the two carburetors just to make it able to idle and our used vehicle manager had told him that we would not participate in the repairs. After several months and quite a few letters and phone calls between our attorney, their attorney and the PA Bureau of Consumer Protection, we were exonerated from any responsibility. That was the last time we didn't dispose of a known "as-is" piece on the wholesale level.

I'm sorry to be so negative but them's the facts. But it won't cost anything to follow Tron's advice, so I'd definitely give that a try.

Ed

5. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

You didn't mention how many miles were on the car? If its a keeper (low milage) and good condition, I'd put the $800 into it and you'd have a $2,800 keeper. Did you try junk yards for a replacement trany?

Hawk,

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

look the sale paperwork over with a finetooth comb...look for the as-is no warranty..if its there and so is his signature, you are probably out of luck...on the other hand there are lots of Mexicans in Texas who could have you a new tranny in the care for 100 bux,...no questions askes Senior'

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

just a few suggestions for other buyers. Have the car inspected BEFORE you sign the papers. ASE certified technicians usually charge someplace under 100 bucks to do that type of inspection. Brakes, compression, roadtest, remove the wheels etc. Best few bucks you ever spent.Motordoc

8. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Rico ,

It seem that the car was bought from a used car dealer rather than a new car dealer who also sells used cars . You will probably get little consideration if the former . Is your father a member of AARP ? Go to the local or state chapter and seek assistance there .

You might consider reporting the issue to the better Business Bureau ---- too late to check with the BBB about the seller .

That model Crown Vic has always received high marke from Consumer Reports . Too bad .

Charlie

9. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

If this 84 year old guy did all the things you guys suggest, he would be dead and burried before that car was rolling down the road again. Pony up the $800 and fix the "as is" car. You really do get what you pay for.

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

From a personal experience standpoint, and asuming your father-in-law would keep the car and drive it 'till it's worn out, like me.....bite the bullet and buy a Ford factory rebuilt trans....with a warranty (GM sells their Certified rebuilt untis with 50K mile warranty)...rebuild shop tranny's just don't cut it. I got 40-50K miles out of those and 200,000 mi on the last GM Cert. I bought. It may cost 2 grand, but the car ain't much good without a working tranny.

11. baflstang

baflstang Member

Have you considered a second opinion? The transmission in that car is an electronic version and may be repairable for much less at an independant shop. Most cars in NC that are 7 years would be sold as is unless the seller offered a short term warranty. In any case, $800. is not an exorbitant amount for transmission repair on a newer vehicle. Also ask for a detailed estimate. Then compare the two diagnosis. Either way it will still be much cheaper than buying another car.
    Bill

12. coal stove

coal stove TS Member

I say park the thing on the showroom floor, via the front entrance, he's 84, what's he got to lose. Just kiddin', here in MD a dealer can't sell a car in "AS IS" condition. Check your local laws. Lived in TX for many years and when I saw a 1971 Chevy truck towing a 1971 Chevy truck w/camper on back, I just figured he had all spare parts he needed wherever he decided call home. God, TX is a great state.
    Chip

13. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

My mother had a trans. problem with her Crown Vic. Turned out to be a sensor. Have a reputable shop check it out before you do an overhaul.

Most tech's would rather diagnose before they remove it.

Danny

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hey!! thata a cool idea CoalStove...park it front of the place with a large sign saying this dealer sold me a Lemon...I seem to remember a former Maryland trapshooter who has since moved out of state (NO!! NOT ME!!)that had a rather pricey shotgun he thought to be a lemon ...so he painted it very bright yellow.

15. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I have not read much of the thread here but I have one question. Did you or anyone take the car to someone and have it checked out by a machanic? Its money well spent when you do.

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

But Calvin, unless this dealership led Jerry's father-in-law by the hand to this Crown Vic, it did not SELL him a lemon - he BOUGHT it from them knowing full-well he was doing so without the protection of a warranty of any sort. Regardless of his motives, he was willing to take a gamble in order to realize a savings in the purchase price and he lost. It's just that simple. Now it's time to pony up that savings and fix what Jerry tells us is otherwise a very nice car. And the guys suggesting that there may in fact not be an internal transmission problem are very right, so maybe all this conjecture is not necessary.

And let's not forget two very important possibilities. The dealership may have decided not to retail this unit without running it through their service department and did not know it had a transmission problem. That happens very often. For example, if this is an import dealership, about the last thing someone will go there looking for is a big, rear-drive domestic sedan with a passion for unleaded. In a case like that, the car gets wholesaled to a buyer of stuff like that who comes through weekly or is sold at an auction. And from Jerry's explanation, I can't tell when during the three weeks of ownership the problem surfaced. Therefore, it is possible that the condition was not present when the car was purchased.

But it's easier to pass the blame to the dealership, so why not? After all, everything bad that happens to us is always someone else's fault.

Painting lemons on a car and parking it in front of a dealership can become very expensive. An irate consumer did that once not far from here and it cost him almost everything he owned by he time the dealer's lawsuit was settled. Slander can be costly!

Ed

17. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

So many mistakes here.

1) - bought a used domestic car. 1a) bought a used domestic car with no pre-buy inspection. 2) Let your 80-something FiL go by himself into the lions den. They saw him coming a mile away. 3) put $2000 down on a $7000 (I'm guessing) car that's only worth $4000. 4) didn't negotiate some sort of 30 day guarantee on the car. This is the tell-all with used cars. If a dealer has a reasonable belief that the car is in good shape, and the deal rides on it, they will give you a 30 day warranty - it's good business. If they know it's got a blown piston and no 3rd gear, they'll tell you they're going to forget your name soon as you drive off the lot.

If the car is 'as is - no warranty' you're SOL. You might have a leg to stand on if you have a digital recording of a dealership representive personally guaranteing the car, but I'll bet you don't. Question now is, do you sink another 20% of the cost of the car back into it. Well, you either decide to 'waste' the $800 on the transmission, or waste the whole $7000 on the car. Choice is pretty easy.

18. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

When I worked in a GM dealership, a man drove an Oldsmobile wagon in one day for work. On either side of the car in the rear side windows, he had a giant yellow lemon decal.

The service manager politely asked him to leave, not even giving the guy a chance to say anything.

Made my day!

Danny

19. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't have anything to do with buying the car. That can all go on my wife's nephew. Anyway I'm going to take the car to another shop before any decisions are made.

No it wasn't a used car lot it's a new car dealership that also sells used cars. It happens to be where I purchased my Yukon XL (used) and they treated me well that's why I didn't worry about this.

I'll remember the 30 day warranty thing next time and make it a deal breaker.

Thanks guys I'll keep you posted.

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Most reputable dealers wouldn't want an unhappy customer for the sake of $800, if you talk to the General Manager you might be able to cut a deal and get it fixed at a reduced rate ... I would definately have it checked out at a transmission shop and see what they say the problem is and go from there ... The "HITS" they make on most used cars are rediculous in most cases ... I briefly sold cars for a Buddy of mine who owned a Pontiac, Buick, and Subaru dealer in Antioch, Illinois and made big money on used cars that I sold for me and the dealer ... I quit because the RO's (repair orders) were getting rediculous and cutting into my fun money, and the time at the dealer was cutting into my boating time ... (Prioritys, you know ..!) WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.