1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T---!!!!! Upright Freezer Advice.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by noknock1, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Looking to upgrade my current freezer. I do know that I want an upright, frost free, freezer with 20 cubic feet capacity or so. For the past eleven years, I have used a 12 cubic foot capacity upright freezer which is a manual defrost.

We are now buying a half beef at a time, plus the couple deer that I try to wack a year, well it is just too crowded...

So I have been looking at the brands, Sears, GE, Whirlpool, Fridgeair, etc..

One of my friend’s neighbors is an appliance repair guy; he says to stick with EMBARCO (spelling?) compressors as these are the most reliable. He says that all of the new freezers with the LCD screens have their periodic problems, but the EMABARCO compressors will keep running even if the 'lcd panel' goes out.

So I am asking my friends for advice.. So are there any particular compressors or upright freezer designs that I should steer clear of?

I realize that there are probably three factories pumping out two dozen different name brand freezers, but is there a brand where the quality control is a little better than the others?

From my limited research, I see the 20 cubic foot, upright freezers are anywhere from $600.00 and up..

I am not interested in a truly professional freezer for $3500.00. My top end price is $850.00.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Anything made by Woods, your products won't keep as well in a frost free. Think surface thaw, freeze, thaw, etc....

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have three upright freezers, one GE and two Sears. They are all 10+ years old and running strong. I also have a GE refrif that I bought new in 1990. It is over 20 years old and never a repair other than a water solenoid that I bought for $18 and installed myself. I am a Maytag guy normally but I would buy these again

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

If you have the room, chest freezer are better.

Customer service is more important now, over brand names anymore.

5. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Stick with Sears. Better service and one day a week they have a 5 to 10% discount for us old timers on all major appliances.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

They changed over the gas in all freezers a few years ago, so no way to tell how well they will hold up as compared to the Sears I have in the garage thats about 13 years old and still going (but starting to die). As far as I can tell Whirlpool still makes the best overall app.'s, and they make for sears as well. When I had some problems with my frige a couple of years back the best repairman in the area said all the compressors now come from the same plant in S. America around Rio somewhere (I forget the exact town). Just made in like 3 different grades. The different companies just wrap and make the boxes abit different with different types of relays and so one. I've heard that Maytag, a once very good company sold out to a large super company and that their quaity has fallen off as a result, but still pretty good. Hope that helps you out some. Break-em all. Jeff

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Whirlpool makes the best, as matter of fact Whirlpool makes almost all of them, they have bought out all of the major names, so what ever you buy is made by a company that Whirlpool owns

Embarco is a Brazillian company who got into the business in the 70's to compete with Tecumseh and Copeland, Copeland has pretty much gotten out of the domestic reefer compressor business since Emerson Electric bought them out, Tecumseh still makes them but they are higher priced so they generally won't be in domestic refrigeration, and Embarco is now made in.......... you guessed it China

My wife bought a $2500 Maytag reefer a few years ago when it was 16 months old the compressor shot craps, I got to change it one Thanksgiving day morning before the crew showed up.

Basically they are all the same miserable junk, they are designed to work a few years and then just cart them off to the land fill and buy a new one

But I still have a Monkey Wards in the shop that is over 40 years old ans still keeps the beer cold and freezer frozen

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Timberfaller is on the mark. When you open an upright, all the cold air spills out. It's worse if the freezer is not almost full.

The new air after you close the door has moisture in it. I had 2 uprights, and the auto defrost failed after a few years, necessitating manual defrost. Ugh.

Chest type the air stays in it and not much defrosting, if ever.

HM

9. vdt

vdt Active Member

chest only ...O degrees Fahrenheit

10. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

W/pool bought Maytag in 2006... It's true that upright frost free freezers are harder on the food that manual defrost units. I've been doing service for 0ver 20 years and the compressors in almost all units made come from Brazil. Buy what you like feature wise, and fits your purse. The rest is not important.

11. trapster100

trapster100 Member

One word: Subzero

http://compare.ebay.com/like/320507376499?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&rvr_id=126128320185&crlp=1_263602_263632&UA=L*F%3F&GUID=81c3e0a812a0a0e20482d302fd52058b&itemid=320507376499&ff4=263602_263632

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

If you really want to waste your money buy a Sub zero

And I agree that a chest type is the best

13. otnot

otnot Active Member

Don't buy an upright frost free freezer. It is constantly defrosting and freezing and dehydrating your food along with it.

14. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Thanks for all the advice! I would like a chest freezer, but there is just no room.

15. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

speaking professionally, an upright manual defrost is less expensive to buy, and less harsh on the product that you put in it. Just sayin'....

16. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I have two Sub Zeros in my home and they are both over 23 yers old and have not done a thng to them except replace one icemaker. Just keep the coils, fan vacuumed.

17. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I hear you Maytag, as I said in my first post, I have a small manual defrost that is an upright. In my finished basement where I keep the humidity at 45-50%, and the temp. around 70 degrees... I have to defrost once every 4 months. Not a big deal in January or February, since it is a walk out basement I just put the stuff on the patio.. But this time of year sucks. Between two fridge/ freezers and 3 coolers, I can get most of the stuff in them in this GOD awful heat..

I may regret it, but I haven't had a problem with freezer burn, etc., on foods in either of my fridge- freezers.

I will admit that I am getting lazy in my old age. I could only imagine the amount of coolers etc. to store 20 cubic feet of food vs. my 11 cubic feet of food now.... HAHA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.