1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Turkey Hunters opinion on #4 vs #6

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by LeesburgGamecock, Sep 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeesburgGamecock

LeesburgGamecock TS Member

Between the two, take the number 6s. Limit yourself to 40 yards, and it will nock 'em down hard. If using lead, 5s are probably the best choice, but if you want to pay for great nock down and patterning go with hevi shot or the competitoirs. I shoot #6 winchester Hi-Density and it patterns awesome and nocks em down hard. A big advantage over lead.

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Some states have laws that don't allow large shot. Iowa is one.

3. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Model 42 Winchester with a slug!

4. famill00

famill00 TS Member

PATTERN YOUR GUN WITH 4, 5, AND 6 SHOT!!!!!! Any of those sizes are adequate to kill a turkey....the key is to see which your gun patterns the best. I load my own turkey shells. 1 3/8 oz of hard 6 shot, red wad, fio primer, rem hull, 28 grains of longshot. Kicks hard, hits hard, sounds mean and you only get one reload in the hull.....oh did I mention that it is deadly?

Forrest

5. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Can you shoot a dove or quail? A turkey's head is about the size of those birds, and usually you can shoot him on the ground. 7.5s, head shots, absolutely deadly.

6. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I've tried them all and for me #5 plated at a high speed seem to do the best job. The new Winchester Supreme Extreme loads are awsome. My Daughter stoned a good tom at 55 yrds with them in two and three quarterslengh shells. I think one of the most important aspects is to have a choke designed for Turkey's. We shoot Kicks, Gobbling Thunder, with a 670 constriction.
    Dan

7. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I cannot understand why someone would even try to reload for turkey!!! These are VERY hard birds to bring down. The VERY BEST should be bought to do the job. There is a one bird limit here in Michigan, my last box is about 6 years old [10 per box]. My vote Hevi-Shot #5 or #6 .

GS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.