1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Truck tires

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chadshot, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

Looking for info on truck tires, need an aggressive all terrain tire in 10 ply for my crew cab diesel. Any good ones out there?

Also anyone buy any from some of the online discount tire dealers? I have access to mount and balance them so that is non issue.

Chad

2. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I just put on my truck Firestone Tranceforce AT. They do come in HT but the tread is not as aggressive.

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I checked into the online thing, but by the time I paid shipping they were about the same price I could get them locally

But those were tires for my JD Gator, I think the a$$holes have some price fixing thing on them, they cost about as much as a set of tires for my truck

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Toyo A/T.

I have bought from Tread Depot and you do save about $100 per tire going that way. Even got free shipping. I then paid my local Les Schwab to mount and balance then and dispose of the old tires. Don't worry about warrantee either as that comes from the manufacturer - I had to use that one time over a rock cut sidewall and there were zero problems getting a replacement tire at no charge.

There are several online tire stores so shop around.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I've got the Falken WildPeak A/T tires on my 4WD truck right now. They flat eat in the greasy stuff but yet ride and handle nicely on the highway. They are a bit noisey because of the tread design. However, they are not a super aggressive tire but the perfect mix in my book.
    [​IMG]

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

What is your main driving condition???

Pavement or dirt(off road)?

Makes a BIG difference.

Some tires when they lose 25% of their tread, lose a lot of grip and design. In simple terms, become useless but still hold air and roll.

7. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

Most is pavement pulling trailer but we also farm so still need dirt traction.

8. 100straight

100straight Member

I just spent 4 years in Alaska, and the most popular truck tire by far there is Cooper. They make several versions. The M&S is a great choice for all around driving with great traction, but they are fairly soft, so don't expect huge miles between replacements. Also good are the ST and STT, depending on how aggressive you want to get.

Mark

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I've also installed the Falken tire on my F250. They are the Rocky mountain tire. I've had them for a year and approx 10k miles. They still look like new.

The tread is not too aggressive but running on dirt roads here in northern MN, the tires do like to pick up stones and toss them around the wheel well.

I bought them from Discout Tires in St. Cloud, MN. The cost was $126 per tire plus mounting with lifetime rotation and spin balancing. The store also cut me a good deal on an extended warranty...coverage for 4 tires for the price of one. That cost me $12. Their is no pro-rating of the tire if it get damaged. 100% coverage replacement up to the manufacturers milage warranty.

Doug

10. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

The Cooper STT is what is popular here in our area, PNW, Les Schwab sells them under their name. Cooper Tires makes most of their tires.

Snow,mud and dirt with a little bit of pavement.

If you need more grip then what that design will give you, you'll need to go with a deep lug design.

Check out the website, its ebay but its a good picture. That's what I run year around.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I had a set of cooper's last year and they gave my truck a lot of vibration or cavitation. Discount tire said they have seen a lot of the same trouble from weak side walls, I put a set of Bridgstone's on and it was a night and day difference in the ride.

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Many factors to making a selection, cost, use, comfort, age of the truck; unlike years ago many manufacturers are producing quality products. 10 ply rated tires will give a harsh ride but caryy the weight load well( assuming air presurers are kept correct. On line discounters are ok but service after the sale can suffer. Brands you might consider looking at Yokahama, Dunlop, BF Goodrich, Michelin, Goodyear, cooper, Summitomo, Hancok. If your using the truck for longer distance then a big brand name will be easier to find when your out on the road, Bridgestone/Firestone products can be a good choice as well as the ones named abouve and in the other post. 10 ply will carry a lot of weight you may want to see if you can use 8 ply as it is a better ride.

13. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I've been using Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2's on Ford Excursions since 2005. Load range E. They have worked great in Wisconsin and South Dakota snow and on rugged rocky roads in California. They have lasted at least 60K on every set (with tread remaining, but not enough to want to play in the snow). They handle well and are fairly quite. I have towed 7-11K loads with them and the side walls handle it well.

I have 2 excursions with them on now and have had another excursion and 2 F-250's with them. I would highly recommend them.

I did have a set of Yokohama Geolanders on an Ex for a short time. The side walls seemed very soft. It felt like I was driving on ice when they were new and when I had a trailer. I will never have another set of them. I have since heard of other side wall issues with them.

14. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

i have been driving trucks since 1973, of one size or another, from a 1969 Bronco up to my present 2002 F350 crewcab diesel 4x4. I have tried a multitude of tires: pure highway tires to pure off road tires. For my money, the best I have found are the Toyos I have on now. Smooth and quiet on the highway, pretty good in mud, great in snow. The only reason I say only pretty good in mud is that I couldn't go fast en0ough in the gumbo to spin them clean. They are 4 years old, and still have at least 2 years tread left.

15. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

Goodyear Duratracs, these things are amazing in the snow, low noise for the aggressiveness of the tread, and a pretty good ride.

Smokey

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Toyo tires are not for everyone due to the cost, but they are probably the best tire being put on the ground today ... I had a set on a Lincoln Mark VII and they were twice the tire the High performance Goodyears could hope to be ... I also had some on the steering axel of a motor home, nothing can run a close second to them for my money ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

My 2002 Siverado 4x4 is shod with Cooper Tires .... and I have had great success with them. Great wear, great traction when needed, and no noise.

I run an aggressive Cooper truck winter tire (very sipey) for the snow months and am also very happy with them.

More plys = more thickness of the tread and they last longer!!

Good luck!

Search tags for this page

are falken wildpeak at tires noisey