1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Transmission Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by esoxhunter, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I need some advice from the mechanics out there. I have a 2002 Buick LeSabre. When I am accelerating up to speed and then try to maintain a speed of about 50 MPH; it seems the transmission fluctuates between the overdrive and lower gear. The car kind of "shudders" when it goes back and forth between overdrive and the lower gear. Is this a serious problem? Thanks a lot for any information you might have. Ed

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I had same problem on a Ford, cost me $2200

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have the same car, will have to remember not to drive it at 50MPH. I only notice the final shift is quite slow. But the switch to 32MPG is nice.

Talk to a good tranny man. Preferably an independent tranny shop,(not AAMCO)

I had a ford that cooked the overdrive band, used it for 3 more years without.

HM

4. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Is it a turbo 200 tranny?

5. BARTMAN

BARTMAN TS Member

add a product called smart blend. sound like your fluid is burnt up causing it to shudder. loss of lubrication properties in the fluid, pretty common . If that friction modifier helps it would be a good idea to change the fluid and add another bottle

6. esoxhunter

Thanks guys. The car has never seen salt and has only 70K miles. Although we don't put a lot of miles on it; we don't want to buy a new car either. Ed

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

drive the car without putting it in overdrive, The d without the circle or the 3 or whatever is to the right of the d. drive over 45 mph and hold a steady speed. then move the lever into the d with the circle or d position or one position before the n. see if the transmission then upshifts or slips.Try this a couple of times. the lockup convferter usually comes in at above 45mph. hold the speed atabove 45 and see what happens. It might be the torque converter clutch. does the transmission oil smell burnt or just like oil. what color is the oil. should be red or purple. if burnt you could try changing it but it just might be too late for that. should change the trans oil about every 35 to 40 k miles. motordoc

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

The shudder is torque convertor. I don't believe that trans has a modulator. Have a fluid and filter change done and add a bottle of Lucas Trans additive it works wonders. Bill

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Motordoc just gave some of the best advice that people rarely take.

Trans fluid should be changed at frequent intervals. Years ago and maybe today owners manuals stated that the trans fluid was good for the life of the car. If you drive hard or a lot of miles in stop and go driving better get it changed.

The rear drive trans. can be beefed up but im not sure about the fwd.

You may be in for a big repair bill 1800-2500 here. (central Ohio)

Regards....Gerald

10. Chris

Chris TS Member

This reminds me of when I had a ford pickup with 70,000 miles on it. Every time it would shift, it would remind me of driving over rumble strips. The mechanic told me the oil had broke down.I changed the oil and filter and it was good as new.

Chris

11. esoxhunter

The oil does not smell "burnt" and looks good. I think I will change the oil/filter and use some additive. It sure would be worth a try. The car does not always do this; just every once in a while. Thanks. Ed

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Ed, If the tranny does go south on you look into a good low mileage used one. Should be able to buy one and get installed for less than a grand. Lots of salvage yards offer install and up to a year warranty. Bill

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Ed ..don't just change the tranny oil and filter...get the full professional flush done at a reputable shop and have them add the Lucas additive like Bill said and you should be fine

14. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

BE CAREFUL OF ADDITIVES. I can't say that loud enough. Many are just junk and will cause more trouble then good. I found one that is called TVF from blaster chamical. It is NOT a fix all but will replenish some of the lost additives in theoriginal oil and will also act as a cleaning agent for the gum and goo maybe. Probably at NAPA or auto zone. Not everyone has it. Some of the additives swell the seals and then you have a bigger problem then you started with. DID YOU TEST DRIVE LIKE I MENTIONED ABOVE. Before all the additives stuff make a good test drive and find out what is wrong. You might put in an additive and the converter clutch or a valve is bad and then you screw up the seals and the trans thenneeds an overhaul. It could be a defective valve of some sort. If I remember back a ways it could be an electric solenoid hanging up or plugged. TEST DON'T GUESS. MOTORDOC

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Without a scan tool and some pressure guages, everything else would just be a guess. A good flush, filter, and refill may help it, but if friction surfaces are worn or damaged, no additive or quick fix will do the job. You need to know what is going on when the issue occurs. Is the converter locking or are the gears changing modes, or both? You need to check for any codes in the processor as well. Other components can cause "Transmission" related symptoms.

I'll also second Motordoctors opinion on additives. DO NOT USE ANY! That is unless you really want to spend the money for expensive transmission repairs anyway, even IF you did not need them in the first place. If they are not sold or marketed by the manufacturer of the vehicle, they are questionable. Even IF they offer one, it doesn't mean they will work wonders.

16. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

What Calvin MD said, just don't drop the transmission pan and change filter, have the tranny flushed with new filter. I believe in the Lucas tranny addtive also.

17. esoxhunter

I am having the tranny flushed tomorrow morning. New oil and filter. Then I am going on a short run (150 miles round trip) to pick up some reloading components. This should allow me to test it as I will be on the interstate for at least 1/2 the trip. Thanks again. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.