1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T TRAILER PURCHASE ADVICE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JIM SIMS, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

st8shuter:
    Ck out R.V.NET,(tow vehicles)lots of good info to be had there,although you need to sort through some of the OPINIONS,like any where else.Be mindful of you weights ie:
    trailer g.v.w./truck max tow weight,axle gross weights.AND combined g.v.w.
    Goood Luck
    jim

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Friends of ours bought a really nice small trailer because the RV dealer told them they would have no problem pulling it with their Dodge Dakota truck. Turned out they couldn't pull it with a 6 cyl engine and ended up parking it on a small lot which is OK for them.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

st8shuter, it's exceptionally easy to have too little truck/tow vehicle for a good sized trailer and it's really hard to have too much of a tow vehicle. My first 5th wheel was just 26' and with a small slider but the '86, 3/4 ton, 454 CI chevrolet with the heavy duty automatic really strained to keep it rolling on the western state grades. Even mild slopes on freeways took a toll on the miles per hour and it was a miserable experience. My current choice is with a 30' trailer (marked 28 1/2') and I wouldn't consider anything than the full sized, diesel rig for towing. The RV sales lots will think nothing of outfitting you with too little horsepower so don't get sucked into trouble......breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

May I suggest that you check out the Bigfoot Trailer in 25 foot length? Not cheap, but less than an Airstream, and top of the line quality. This size includes a walk around bed. However, it does really dictate a diesel pickup for the tow vehicle for safety and efficiency.

Check out Bigfoot's website; this is the Mercedes of trailers. Made in Canada, btw. Lots of quality; things in the north are built to last.

5. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

Jerry makes a very accurate and strong point. I am retired and on a fixed income; 14 mpg with 4200 lb. (wet) 21 foot trailer and '07 Duramax. At today's diesel prices, I think that some upgrades (Banks) would pay off rather quickly given how much wife and I travel since retirement.

6. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I would never be one to say which trailer make or model you should purchase, as there are literally hundreds of models and floor plans to choose from.

I can offer some advice, however................and please take it as simply that.......advice.

Trust your initial reaction to the model and (especially) floor plan you are attracted to, when you actually begin to look inside them. You can go crazy with "over-shopping" for an RV. You will probably narrow your selection to 3 or 4 units, in relatively short order. It (then) becomes a more difficult decision, trying to decide on the actual plan that your prefer BEST.

Factor in you decision what you want your RV to be - or to do. How much time will you actually spend inside of it, aside from sleeping at night? Do you plan to entertain or to accomodate overnight guests ? Will your wife be doing alot of travelling with you? All things to consider.............

And -- as others have mentioned, PLEASE do yourself the greatest favor of all : Make absolutely certain that you have "enough truck" to tow your choice of RV - comfortably. RV dealers want to sell you an RV. That is their primary concern and objective. They might tell you that your truck is capable of towing what they want to sell you, but after you leave their sales lot -- you will find yourself very much "alone", if it is not properly equipped for the task.

I would suggest that you ask your truck dealer, if you are not sure about the vehicle's towing capacity. He has nothing to gain or lose, by providing "pie-in-the-sky" numbers regarding your truck's ability to tow. Even with this information in hand, I would never suggest purchasing an RV that is right at "capacity". Allow yourself a little cushion, and go lighter than your truck is rated for.

You mentioned driving a 4.6. That is really NOT alot of motor, if you are planning on towing a trailer. I would be VERY careful............

Take this all from a guy who used to own a half-ton, with a 5.7 gas-powered engine. While that truck would go like the proverbial "bat-out-of hell" on its own, I tried towing a 28' trailer with it. Water temps. soon escalated into the 200-210 range, and top speed uphill was about 30 mph. A truck that had NO problem doing 80-85 on the open road suddenly found its come-uppance. I did install an after-market trans. cooler, but never did upgrade the cooling system for towing. I've since sold that truck, and (now) tow with a Ford F-250 diesel.

Have fun shopping for your trailer. I know that we love ours. It still ranks as the best investment we've ever made, with respect to comfort and convenience when attending shooting tournaments. Just make sure you get RELIABLE information about what your tow vehicle can handle.

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The trailer shown above is also made in Canada and could be pulled by a small truck.

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

A useful guide is put out by Trailer Life every year. It gives you the weight capability of just about every truck configuration out there. Also check your owners manual, it gives you both the trailer weight and pin weight limits of your truck. Many ignore pin weights if you are considering a 5th wheel, but don't. Consider a 5th wheel becasue I feel you get more trailer and easier handling. Either match the trailer to your truck or find the trailer you want and match a truck to it.

Good luck and enjoy it and forget the gloom and doomers. It's your life enjoy it fully.

Don

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Your going yo have to get a bigger tow truck. I went to a 5.4 and still is not quite enough, Buy the V10 or diesel

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I used to have a F-150 with a 5.4 gas. When pulling a 16' cargo trailer with two Harley's in it my max speed uphill (going to Fla.) was 45 downhill 80+. Get a bigger truck!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I pull a 29' 5th wheel lightweight with an f-350 5.4 and wish I had more power. Ok for flat land.

12. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

The guys are right, your looking at nothing but misery trying to pull a 26' trailer with a 4.6 F150. Thats to big a load for it, You can also look in to a used tractor, you can pick them up for $20k and up and get auto's in alot of them, just a thought.

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If you are close to Michigan let me know and I will make you a deal on 5th wheel and truck.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.