1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Trail Cameras

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tachyon, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tachyon

tachyon Member

So, I went to Cabelas yesterday to look at game cameras. They had a dizzying assortment of cameras to chose from. I am pretty sure I want something with a removable card (probably SD), at least 3 mpixels and probably an infrared flash.
    Our property is wooded and most of the trails are not more than 12 ft wide so range is not as important.

Any recommendations, any great experiences or horror stories?

TIA.

Bruce

2. one--straight

one--straight TS Member

I have three cuddies and one bushnell all infered,you'll miss one with the bushnell every so often because the cuddies have almost no delay while the bushnell does.both work real well and i've never had a bit of trouble with either one..

3. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Bushnell is what I use and it works great!Cuddie is also awsome, don't buy a cheap one or you'll be dissapointed and throw it away as I have done with several in the past.

4. steele

steele TS Member

I've had great succes with the Cuddeback. Very clear images & quick trigger time. Absolutely stay away from any film type camera. The Cuddeback is expensive compared to some others, but its the best I've found so far. I too, tried the low cost route, & just ended up giving them away. Try the above link for alot of good info.

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Until a month ago I was "in the dark" as well.

I work with the gang task force with the local PD and do evidence for them on a voluntary basis. And, because I am the chairman of the Mayor's Beautification Committee, my committee has underwritten the Gang Graffiti Task Force to the tune of $4,000-$6,000 and this included a game camera set up to catch the villains at work.

Both the PD and I did quite a bit of research on game cameras, and we ultimately settled for the Cuddeback no-flash infra red camera. Cuddeback really cut us a great deal for law enforcement purposes and are great to deal with on a personal basis. The camera has one of the best resolutions of all the cameras we looked at AND we need that for prosecutorial evidence purposes.

I can email you the exact model as I do not have it here.

I did have it apart because we wanted to paint it flat black and alter the attaching method. I also mounted it inside a telephone company junction box which is then installed securely onto the ground. We just learned that the camera cannot be set back very far into the junction box because the Plexiglas window blocks either too much light or prevents the infra-red triggering mechanism. The camera works absolutely perfectly outside the telephone box, and would certainly work well mounted on a tree.

I am unsure if you want a flash or flashless. Flash cameras tend to get noticed and you never know the honesty of the hunters who may run across it. We, of course, were not going to use a flash for obvious reasons. Without the flash, the camera still takes high resolution perfect pictures which are saved onto a flash disk.

We are happy with it, but it was in the $400-$500 range.

Whiz White

6. tachyon

tachyon Member

Thanks everyone for the information. It really helps...

7. Calgary Guy

Calgary Guy TS Member

Tach. If you truly want the best on the market I would suggest Getting a Tree Bark Trail Cam. These are hand made with plenty of experiance behind them. Fantastic customer service and easy to operate. They were designed to handel Albertas brutal winters and still function.
    The best on the market I promise you.

Calgary Guy

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Whiz, the $400 to 500 range before or after the PD discount? Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.