1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Tractor for hunting land

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dward, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dward

dward Member

I own a couple hundred acres of deer hunting land in east central Minnesota that's all woods and swamp. I had about 40 acres of aspen logged and the brush is coming back pretty good. I'm going to get a tractor to brush hog and do some minor dirt work with a bucket and maybe a back hoe attachment. I'd also like to add a few food plots so I may need to dig a few stumps. I've talked around a bit and it sounds like I should get a 4 wheel drive with a diesel around 40-50 hp. I know there are some top notch "tractor experts" that also shoot trap, so just looking for some advice.

Thanks - Dan

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I do food plots on my 600 acres in Michigan. Not sure you need 4wd unless you have wet ground, or unstable soil, or are going to use the tractor for other purposes like a skidder. I would have someone come in with a doser and break those plots open for you the right way.This will save you lots of abuse off of your equipment. You will still have plenty of work to do with the tractor when they are done. I am sure there are many operators in your area that have experence there. When you get set to go, get yourself one of those big three point tillers, not a junkie one make sure it has adjustable tine speed. It will be a breeze to plant those plots with that tiller.

GS

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The nice thing about a backhoe is you can bury your stumps. NOt a tractor expert, but I recently had 32 acres selective cut and I'm hoping a backhoe appears somewhere for my use.

HM

4. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

40 - 50 HP is about right for your needs, and yes get 4WD trust me you will need it. Now a backhoe might be handy but what you really need is a loader, I would look into the 4000 series John Deere and get a 72 inch rotary cutter (brush hog). The 4000 series has hydrostatc transmission and will be more than enough for what you want to do. Also most John Deere deelers have a rental department so you can rent a slit seeder, auger or other attachments as needed.

Ronbo

5. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

A couple of more thoughts, My tractor is 60hp diesel,with loader and NO you do not need a 4wd unless there are extreme conditions.I would not want a tractor under 50hp. DO NOT burry your stumps or rocks into the plot!!!! Attachments like a brush hog and tiller should be a little wider than the wdith of your tires. Get some good advise from someone in your area that has put in food plots!!!!!!! Also location,location, location.........when it comes to plots.

GS

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

I always thought hunting from a vehicle was illegal but if you can hunt from a tractor I gots to get me one of them tractors.

BTW ... I have looked over and read and re-read my local hunting regs but I cant find anywhere that it mentions the regs for hunting land or even about what kind of license you would need for hunting land. In Minnesota can you actually hunt land?

To answer your questions more seriously ... depend allot on what your local dealer will also suggest and recommend to you. He will not only be able to help you select the best for your needs but also help you learn to handle and control whatever you get along with being there to service what you might break. I am surprised though that you have asked for help in determining what you might need but not asking anything about brands. Have you already selected a brand?

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a John Deere 5310 68 hp 4 wheel drive and love it.

8. dward

dward Member

Thanks for the feedback and I hope I get more.

As far as the 2 versus 4 wheel drive, my land is rather remote and I have to go a couple miles to get into it and cross a creek and a few small swamps. I planned to put some culverts in and improve crossing the wet areas.

Related to brand I know there are so many out there, and Deere and Kubota are what I think are good units, I was looking for recommendations on any brand that was well thought of.

On the food plot issue, I know it would be best to get a dozer to clear the plots initially, it's just that the land is far enough back in (why I like it for hunting) that it works better to get big equipment back in there in the winter.

After logging there are a few big brush piles we still need to burn and I would just add any stumps to them. When they initially logged two winters ago it was such a warm winter that they didn't get to some of the wetter areas and thus the finishing up things like burning piles haven't been done yet.

Thanks - Dan

9. jim creighton

jim creighton Member

Hey Dan Check out New Holland Tractors-www.newholland.com purchased 1 last fall Boomer TC55DA 55hp with loader-backhoe- backhoe is detachable in 2 minutes than install 6' brush hog- get 4X4 better resale & you won't be sorry. Find a Ford retirere to sponsor you & get a good deal-that's what I did-also consider front forks youll be surprised how many times you use them.Get one & beware of all your friends wanting you to help them. LOVE MINE. GOOD LUCK JIM C. AKA--THE YOOPER

10. dward

dward Member

Rick - shoot me an email or contact # at dwardxxxx@lacrossemilling.com (remove xs). We buy a lot of grain for milling and our good friend Mr. Sletta told me you sell grain, we should at least touch bases. - Dan

11. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

John Deere 5103. Great piece of equipment at a very reasonable price.

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

John Deere is the best way to go, they have the best resale and best part support of them all, I've had a bunch of them, the utility tractor I like most is a 5525 mfwd, if you are using a front end loader, thw mfwd makes all the differance in the world, I was skeptical at first, because it costs about $5,000 but it makes twice the tractor. If you're looking for something less costly, look around for a 4020 diesel, with a 148-158 loader on it, they were probably the best all around tractors made although they are going on 40+ years you can still get parts for them, and they are tough machines, although the front wheel assist is very rare, (collectors are buying them up) and it wasn't the best in the world

Now for the flak I'm, going to get, from the Kubota New Holland etc lovers, Solid, Stable, Still, John Deere

13. Cray

Cray Member

dward:Look at the Mahindra tractor. Clients of mine are switching from John Deere to Mahindra. Aprox. 1/3 less than JD. Top quality.I'm buying one next year..www.mahindrausa.com Cray

14. dward

dward Member

Cray - I did a little reading on the Mahindra and it sounds pretty good. Out of curiosity who are the clients that plan to switch and is it because of experience? Customer service? Thanks - Dan

15. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Nothing runs like a Deere. By all means get a 4WD regardless of color.
    Use of a bucket reguires 4WD and front end is strong enough to hold up.
    Have a JD 5420 4WD that is adequate for most front end work.

Doyal

16. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

dward after reading your second post it seems to me you would be much better off finding a older John Deere dozer. The reason I say this is I do this type of work often. With a dozer you can dig and push out most stumps. You can push your burn piles up, you can skin of any under brush and buck thorn and pile it. You can use it to do your culvert work and grading. The reason a older model John Deere dozer would be good is there are still a lot off them around and you can put a backhoe attachment on them. Parts are easy to find and when your done with your project you can sell it for about what you paid for it. Look for a 450 size with wide tracks. Trying to do the type of work your referring to with the smaller equipment previously mentioned would be like entering a trap shoot with a squirt gun.

Sounds like your land is close to St cloud I have seen some equipment for sale of hwy 10 on the way to Del tone. Try RDO equipment. Or hire a local contractor with a cat to do the heavy work you will be glad you did.

Also you will be surprised as to how handy that dozer will be in the future for other improvements like building a access road. plus there fun to operate.

17. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

Save your money on the backhoe....most of the 3 point hitch and other attached backhoes are mere "toys" when it comes to real hoe work. You can hire someone who actually knows what he is doing and he will be more productive in one day than you will be in a month of Sundays with a "toy" hoe.

Digging sizeable tree stumps is one of the most difficult things to do with a backhoe....small ones pop easily, but big ones require an experienced operator.

You mentioned swamp...so I guess the 4 wd would be desireable...but the best thing is to just not go out when it is muddy....if it is truly a "swamp", then leave it alone....you're not going to grow anything there anyway.

As far as the brush cutting goes....I would advocate a Woods brand ditch bank style mower. They make a 5 foot version that the cutting deck is offset to the machine and mows to the right of the tractor...very helpful for bucking brush down. You can mow most saplings and stems up to an 1 1/2 if you are careful and take a small bite first. We always say if we can bend the sapling over with the mower deck...we can chop it up. Get the debris chains on the mower deck to minimize the flying trash from under the deck. Wear safety glasses and hardhat.

The Woods mowers have a large durable gearbox that will take 80-90 HP with reason. I would also go for a larger tractor, maybe 70-80 HP size...Mass of tractor being more important than the actual HP....even if it is a little older model year. Especially if you are cutting brush.....just imagine your new $30,000 setup when a chunk of wood flies out from under the mower deck and adds a new contour to your shiny hood.

The used JD dozer comment is also worthwhile....but there is a learning curve...I've seen good dozer operators do things you never would believe could be done with a dozer alone. (I am not an accomplished dozer operator, even though I ran our D6 for several years)

Mahindra...get real....make sure you get the Toyota truck from the TV commercial to haul it up over the cliff too.

Bob

Cat 416C hoe
    Old 1964 JD 4020 with beat to hell Woods ditch bank mower

18. fordfan347

fordfan347 Member

Mr.dward shoot me a email I sell farm equipment for a living, we even make our own line of equip. email is fordfan347@yahoo.com

19. romie

romie Active Member

I haven't read everyonelses thread Hire a trackhoe for clearing or a doser thenbuy you a diesel only tractor and I would buy a Kabota 50 horse 4wd if you are in a lot of swamp 6ft disk and 500 lb spreader. Do not and had to learn the hard way an old tractor.unless you like working on one or payong out the a-- for someone else to. Done that!
    Monty mcGee

20. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

Have you considered a skid steer loader, they are extremly versatile and offer many attachments. I personally have a 50 hp mustang, with backhoe,auger, and fork lift attachments, it has paid for it self many times over. I am curently in the process of trading it for a 80 hp model. for use in a swamp you may want to consider a track model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rent for a yer and thenbuy it