1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T total knee replacement rehab

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by rlmims, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlmims

rlmims TS Member

having a total knee replacement Jan 17. Have a few questions for those that have had it already. How long till walking without support? How long before can drive a car? Does this surgury really relieve the everyday pain associated with osteoarthritis?

2. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

2 wks without support---3 wks to drive car---6 wks to play golf---I couldn't walk a block before op---walk 2 to 4 mi.every day and no pain---Op done 7 yrs ago---1st 2 wks of phyisal therapy most impt---Must get the leg staight when extended----Good Luck and don't worry---Much pain for 1st wk then less every day----SJB---

3. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

My wife is a home-care nurse that has a lot of ortho patients.

First off - everyone is different.

That said, Some people are walking relatively normally in 2-3 weeks, some in 5-6 weeks.

Driving in the same 3 week range is possible.

Your pain levels should drastically decrease after the surgery. You have pretty severe pain now right? It will get better, and you should have little to no pain a very short time after surgery.

A few words of advise -

Take the pain meds your surgeon prescribes. This will make your therapy and recovery much more tolerable.

Work as hard as you can with your physical therapist. This is your key to walking and driving sooner.

Use your walker and graduate to a cane when you walk for the first few weeks. You DO NOT want to fall down.

Your surgeon should offer home care and home PT for a couple weeks until you can get out and about. Accept this homecare, and if not offered, ask him for it.

Good luck, and keep us here at TS.com informed as to your progress.

Russ-in-Pa.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Check with Gary Bulley the "unloader" on here. Judy just went through it

5. jim nikson

jim nikson TS Member

Having total knee replacement on Jan 12.
    Glad to know about what is going to happen\
    Jim

6. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

If you really want to know then shoot al3526 a pm. He's my brother and is a physical therapist. He'll give you the low down. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I had two of them done (same time) about eight years ago. I was afraid that if I did just one and it hurt, I wouldn't go back for the other. Glad I did them that way, back at my desk working in about three or four weeks and shooting as soon as I could stand to do it without extra equiptment. Don't slack off on the therapy..the water therapy was probably the best of them all.

Big Jack

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I had a double total replacement Tuesday July 21, 2009 in the afternoon. Wednesday they got me up out of bed to a chair. I tried to support my weight mostly with my arms, but it didn't work too well. The PT guy told me to use my legs. Thursday morning it was down to the end of the hall and back with a walker. Friday morning down to the end of the hall again, and practice climbing stairs. Friday afternoon I went home, with a walker. Monday a PT guy came out to my home for some work. It was either that day or the next that he asked whether I could get around without the walker. I went down to the end of my hall and back without it, and did not use it, a cane, or crutches after. The PT guy came to my house every other day for about two weeks, and then said I had progressed past where he expected me, so referred me to an outpatient clinic. I went there about three times a week until the end of August, and then was done with them. There also was a nurse who came to my house about three times a week for three weeks or so to check my blood pressure and clotting rate.

I went back to work about three weeks after the operation. I could have gone back earlier but cashiered our local club's four-day shoot instead. I also shot two handicap events during the shoot, with scores about the same as my usual. I was driving within two weeks, and climbing flights of stairs at work within three weeks. Down was harder than up.

I retired at the end of August, and took a two thousand mile driving vacation with my wife over Labor Day and the week after. In late October I went on a week-long hunting trip in the mountains, riding horses and climbing around in the snow. I went places I couldn't go the fall before. I have had zero problems and am extremely happy I had them done. The surgery was three weeks before my 63rd birthday.

9. 682LINY

682LINY Member

everyone is deffernt for sure,, had first replacement jan 17 2003,, it was my 12th knee surgury,,, needless to say complications,,, not on feet for a few days,,heavy duty inpatiant rehab for a week,, road my harley to out patient physacal thearpy 10 weeks after surgury,,,, great 6 years after that,,, than a staph infection almost killed me and still may cost me my leg,,, had surgury 12/28/2010,,, and still need two more,,,,moral of story ,, be very careful of infection after any joint replacement for the rest of your life

10. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

Had my left knee done and drove (auto trans) home the day I left the hospital(Fri).I wasn't supposed to but I'm hard headed.Drove to the club Wed. and hung out. Shot the next Wed. and finished the next 10 weeks of league and won it.I worked with my therapist and did all my exersises religeously.Threw away the Vicodin after a week.I was lucky. The other one is next. Hope it goes as well.Don't be Wimpy. It hurts! But it will stop and you'll be happy.

11. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

If you have the opportunity, I suggest that you get into a weight reduction program prior to knee replacement. I had made up my mind to have my knees replaced, but I was so out of condition that I couldn't function the way I wanted, so I bought an exercise machine and worked religiously until I had lost 45 lbs. That doesn't sound like much, but when I had my knees replaced, I weighed 130. My knees aren't perfect, but they are better than what I had before. By the way, I drove from the hospital at day 4 and had my 1st therapy. I drove 25 miles twice a week for 6 weeks and then only once for the next two. After that I did my own therapy at home. Nov. 13 1st knee, Jan 12 2nd knee. April 13 left shoulder. I ain't super happy with all my results but I can function and that is better than what I had.

12. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

I had both knees replaced on March 23, 2010. No big deal. Back to work (electrician) first week in June. Took PT 3x per week. Go for it you wont be sorry.

13. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Take your time healing. Everyone's different. Your pain might never go away, be somewhere in the middle, or you might have total relief. You'll find out how hard it is when you get to it. You will be walking the first day. The first stretches will be the worst to get back your range of motion. Your muscles have to remember again what to do. After that, it's all downhill. DON"T let any physical therapist push you too hard. Pushing it hard is BS. You know your limitations, stick to them. Push only when you are confident you won't injure yourself. Every PT has injured me, and they all believe different things and say the other PT's don't know what they are doing. I have a shoulder pull now for three months now due to them pushing me on a damn elliptical. I used the arm exercises part of it too not knowing my shoulder muscles would knot up. I pulled one shoulder really bad.
    I had two half knees 8 years ago. One implant broke in half last June, so I had a total knee done on June 28th. It is still swollen, but I get around all right. I still ice. I am semi retired, half days working if I'm lucky. Usually every other day keeps me from swelling up too bad. USE THE ICE. It's the only thing that works. Pain pills if you need them, but wean yourself off if you don't. I needed stronger pills this time, then I broke them in half when I didn't need so much. My job required my attention. I let my daughter drive me after the first week, but I got off the pills and by the third week I was back to driving, but even that's pretty soon. Take your time and let yourself heal. It does take time. Do the stretches, I failed this time around with the range of motion and had to do stretches more. Your strength will come back in time.

14. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I have a 48 Panhead. I still ride. Dirt bikes I gave up, and I'm soon giving up the kick only brute for a push button. I was riding last fall. The first ride was a little rough.

15. rlmims

rlmims TS Member

magnumshot, I know what you mean by being pushed too hafd by the PT. When I was doing PT for shoulder surgury. PT used too mudh weight for one exercise and I dislocated the longhead bicepts tendon. Owell another surgury and 18 months of rehab with 80% use of my left arm. That sure makes hard lefts a problem.

Lynn Mims

16. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

You will be different than anyone else. So don't go by mine but here it is. surgery on wed out of hospital on fir. to PT the next week could walk on wed one week after surgery with out any help cane or walker. Had 6 weeks of PT set up after 5 weeks the told me not to come for the last week. It went good I could not be more satisfied. Work hard on getting the movement back leg straight and folded up as much as possible as quick as possible. Good Luck Tom

17. mobear

mobear Member

I will tell you to ask questions about the pain medicine that they put you on, When I had my knee replaced, I was on oxycotin in the hospital, and a 30 day supply when I went home, the pills worked great, but the withdrawls that I went thru for 2 weeks after I was done with the medicine was pure hell, I tell everyone I know that if they are having surgery, do not let them put you on oxycotin.

Dan

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

No oxycotin or morphine for me ... ever again! ! ! !

19. bigdave35180

bigdave35180 TS Member

I had a left total knee August '08...Ed Kissel -- St. Vincents orthopedics in Birmingham, Alabama. I was walking with a cane the day after surgery in rehab and left walking on a cane although I could actually walk ok without it. You can take this advice or not...as soon as you come out from under anesthesia get on the passive range of motion machine and stay on it every minute you can...it was invaluable...some people argue the benefit of using one but in my case I was leader of the pack....David....and p.s.---don't spare the pump....its there for your benefit

20. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

Very timely subject for me. I'm having bi-lateral medial partial knee replacement on 3/2 and was quite apprehensive before reading these posts.But if Pocatello can have a bi-lateral total replacement [I didn't think they did that] with such good results, then I'm very encouraged.

Much good rehab advice here. Thanks.

Ned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

new exersises for acute tkr patients