1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Tires

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sammie, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammie

sammie TS Member

I just upgraded the tires on my 2000 Silverado 2 wheel drive to LT245/75/R16. What will happen if I run them at 45 or 50 lbs?? just curious. sam

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

A load-range E LT tire should have a max pressure higher than 60 psi. E-range tires are air rated up to 80 PSI as half of a dual set and will carry the front axle limit (4600 lbs) of a 12,500 GVWR light truck at 65 PSI. Your chosen pressure should be based on the weight each axle will carry and not on ride comfort or someone's best guess. Visit the manufacturer's web site for a load/pressure chart to guide you.

Morgan

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Here's the inflation table for Michelin's E-range tires in your size. The same should apply to all E-range tires. Remember when you read the chart that the weight listed is per tire, so if the front of your truck weighs 3000 lbs. inflate each tire to carry 1500 lbs. assuming the weight is even side-to-side. If it's not, inflate all tires on that axle for the heavier side's weight.
    <center>[​IMG]</center>

More information on load range and inflation can be found here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tirespecskey.jsp

Morgan

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Low pressure sucks fuel.

HM

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My tire guy recommends inflating tires to 90% of max tire pressure.

Jay

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Base the tire pressuers on the weight load your trying to carry. If the truck is empty you can run the tires at lower pressuers. If this was my vehicle and I was running empty the tire pressuers would be at 40 psi and that would not cause any failure or premature tire wear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.