1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Timber Buyer,Logger ect.?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ouch, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouch

ouch Member

I need some very vague information. For the first time in my life ( a little late ) I've consulted with a financial planner, Trying to connect all the retirement means togather for me.

My question is; I have a small central Ohio property = 62 acres. Approximately 48 is woodlot that was logged in 1980 select cut. If it's logged again in my life time it will hopefully be 2020 or later.

For now I need to know just a guess of its value ?

I work very closely with all the avalible resources including: Ohio dept. of forestry, Ohio State Univ. extention office, Soil and water conservation ect. Non of which are permitted to talk about appraisal values. They can estimate board feet of various trees ect., But I don't want to waste there time. It's just a guessing number= Kind of like what's my model 12 worth. Thanks, Richard

2. msmith

msmith Member

There are many variables such as what kind o trees, quality of trees,soil, etc. To give an ex. when I sold my trees Black Cherry was paying $2100 a 1000 board feet, hemlock $175 , beech $250 hard maple $900. Lumber prices are down now and probably will be for awhile. Lumber prices traditionally follow the housing industry. Unfortunately they are getting some nice lumber @ very low prices in Northern Russia. Mike

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

A better question would be how much is a red truck worth..??
    I have had quotes from loggers and have even done a little logging myself, there are really 2 types of loggers, ones who will steal a load or two and ones that are not honest..lol.. I shouldnt be that harsh.. but I have know my share of the ones who will load the best veneer log on top, go home to eat lunch and that log will some how fall off beind their barn and never make it to the mill.. get someone from the forestry dept to come out and look..

4. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

blkcloud,is right on.

We had bids on timber that went from $66,000 to $177,000.

Yes, the high bidder started cutting trees that were not in the contract.

So you better watch them.We have tree chasers here that will walk the timber and tell you about what you have.They handle it all.They draw up a contract and take bids from timber buyers.Yes, they get a percent of the bid.In the long run saves you a lot of trouble.Depending on the kind of tree,if it was select cut 30 years ago it should be about ready to harvest again.Our trees were select cut anything you could put your arms around and touch your fingers had to be left alone.

Bo

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

There are people in every area that will do what Bocephas said. Some are good people and others you had better do a back ground check. There is alot of forester laws to obey. How the tree's are to be dragged out. Reseeding and rain control. It can go on and on. I'm surprised that the forestry Dept didn't help you more. I would go as high up as I could for answers. They are there to help you. Do some pushing. Try to get a good person to do that over seeing for you. As for selling the my father helped his aunt who had 300 + acres that she wanted to log. He stayed away from pricing the trees by board feet. He had a silent auction. The loggers and or saw mills then just put their bidds in an envelop and no one else but my father saw their bidds. The reason he did it that way was because they will then give the top price they are willing to pay as he put it per stump. It worked well for my great aunt. This was in the later part of the 70's. He got her $116.00 per stump. He didn't want payment for helping her at all. She later called him and said if he wanted her brothers 28 ga Parker G grade he could have it. He was down there the next morning.

6. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Oh boy.

I got completely screwed by a logger last year. 300 cord of pulp wood and 1000s of board feet of hardwood and I haven't seen a penny.

The timber market stinks right now. His buyer went belly up so he never got paid, etc. etc.

Get a good estimate and get paid in advance!

7. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Our buyer paid half up front before he started.

Bo

8. ouch

ouch Member

Thanks everyone for the advice and trying to help. I also understand that logging is right behind politics for having a lot of dishonest people,And I am sorry for your loss.

But we have missed the bird. I'm wanting say a dollar per acre number. Just a number, I'm not going to log it,Sell it or anything at this time.

I'll re-ask the question, msmith.blkcloud,bocephas,Auctioneer,handlepuller and anyone else: When you sold or contracted your woodlot it equated to so much per acre, Would you please give me that number?

Ie: Got a check from log buyer for $10,000.00 for which I sold the lumber rights for 25 acres, Giving me $400.00 per acre of logs.

I know it is not as simple as I am asking,But humor me. Thanks,Richard

9. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

hard woods will give you a greatly different number than soft woods

10. msmith

msmith Member

What are the main species of trees that you have? If you have hardwood or cherry you should easy get $1500 per acre. Quality of the wood makes a big difference. If the trees are grown in a wet area the wood will be of a lesser grade. A forester just does not look @ the trees, they also look @ the ground. Good cherry in a dry area with 2 16 foot lenghts before a split will do well. Loggers do not want the biggest tree in the woods. When I sold my trees the person who purchased them did not want a cherry over 25 inches diameter @ 4 feet high. The reason for this is the logger buys the tree on the doyle measuring scale. Older cherry trees get a disease that rots out the center of the tree. The tree will look perfect and healthy until you cut it. (red rot disease). The logger does not want to purchase trees were there is chance he will loose $$. I would work with a forester and even with their 5% - 12% commission it is $$ well spent. Mike

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

OK, We can't give you anything till we know what you have. Is it thick woods or thin woods? Is it all Oak or all Pine? Is it mixed with hardwood and pine, Poplar and or cedar? Is it all flat land that is easy to go in and out of? How far is the mill? Are there any creeks or gullys that need to be crossed? How large are the tree's? If I remember right they start measurements about 18 inches from the ground. They said they would take out 15 inches and bigger tree's. To me that was to small to start from. There are so much if ands or buts. We can only tell you what we had and what we worked with and from. As I said before you need to go over the heads of the forest people you tried to talk to. THEY ARE THERE FOR YOU AND NO ONE ELSE. Go over their heads till you get the answers you are looking for. In other words call the head office for your state. You can Google your state for the number. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.