1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/t Thoughts on out side Furance ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by parrot man, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parrot man

parrot man TS Member

Hi Guys,
    Anybody here have any experience with outside wood burning boilers, maybe you own one?

I'm looking for a way to supplement the boiler in my basement. With oil going for 475.00 for 150.00 gals. It's getting to expensive to heat my house. I live in Upstate N.Y. and it gets cold here!

Thanks for you thoughts,
    beakman

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Check your local codes. I can't have one where I live.

HM

3. incognito

incognito TS Member

There are thousands of them where I live, and seems like every welding shop has a bunch of them stored out back. They tell me you can load them once a day, and they run on thier own. Some of them can go out and re-light themselves. Not sure how they do that, but everyone I know that has one loves it. I may buy a stove by next winter, but I'm trying to decide between the outdoor wood stove and a pellet/corn stove.

4. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Dave Wommack, a shooter from Mo. installs them as a part of his business. Most insurance co's want any fire outside the house. I'm not sure if Dave has a web-site, but someone who knows may see this and respond. I have heard NO bad reports of the outside furnace and its performance. I will probably replace my Inside wood furnace when my insurance co tells me to....merlyn..

5. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Every one I talk to who owns one, thinks they are the best thing since popcorn...............Roger

6. DJM

DJM Member

They are popular in my area. Lots of sawmills that sell inexpensive bundled slab wood 100" long. With a 54" firebox all you do is cut the bundle in half before you break the steel band. But after I took a hard look at the numbers and the reports of short life spans for the fire box I decided it was not worth it. The combination of wood ashes and condensate is corrosive. Word has it that the short life spans of the older models has been addressed.

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Hopefully, anyone who installs one of those smoke-belchers lives on a mountain top in the middle of 500 acres. My former neighbor installed one three years ago and the poor couple in the house on the downwind side of his had to endure his smoke, soot and stench from November to April all day every day until he moved last month and took his monstrosity with him. Had I not lived upwind of him I suspect that there would have been more than just hard feelings between us.

Morgan

8. incognito

incognito TS Member

Yep, the whiners around here went on a rampage too, but we told them to go back to the city where they belong. Wood furnaces won because they are much more enviromentally friendly than petrol burners. Wood smoke has been around for thousands of years, and is a manly smell second only to Federal papers after firing.

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Do a search at Mother Earth News they have done reports of them over the years. I see outside furnace corn/wood pellet burners in Bowling Green Ohio. They are the size of a wood burner type but have a large poly hopper next to them to hold the pellets/corn. These are outside of college area rentals. I would guess they are pretty easy to maintain and operate if they are using them at college rentals. I will check on the brand name and post tomorrow. If going with a pellet type burner get a corn one you can still burn pellets in it. The fireboxes for the wood pellet ones are not heavy enough to burn corn. At least that is the info I have. Very little ash or soot or smoke form the pellet/corn burners but then again the price here in the midwest for corn is high becasue of the false economy of the ethanol plants they are building. I have a friend that has an outside boiler and she burns all sorts of scrap wood in it. She lives in the country so the smell is not a problem. She likes her unit. Bill

10. Remo

Remo TS Member

The unit above is built in my area. Very good product.

http://www.centralboiler.com/home.html

11. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

" Yep, the whiners around here went on a rampage too, but we told them to go back to the city where they belong. Wood furnaces won because they are much more enviromentally [sic] friendly than petrol burners. Wood smoke has been around for thousands of years, and is a manly smell second only to Federal papers after firing."

I'm just curious about why the HELL it's whining to NOT want a house full of some inconsiderate macho moron's foul smelling wood smoke day in and day out for 5 months out of the year? When the houses are close together enough to throw a brick from one to the next it's just plain arrogant and thoughtless to subject the neighborhood to it. I don't know that it's better than burning oil (considering the polluting machinery used to collect it) but it sure as HELL is a lot worse than breathing clean air!

Morgan

12. ArmySGM

ArmySGM Member

REMO, my nephew sells them from his heating and A/C business. They sell good here also. My son is having one installed in his new building 60' X 140' to heat the floor of the whole building. Of course this is on a farm, so the smoke doesn't affect anyone. Most of the ones sold here seem to be out in the country where no one complains except maybe for the deer, coyotes, and the wild pigs.

Gary

13. 100straight

100straight Member

Here in Wisconsin it went to a vote for use inside the City limits. Residents approved the outdoor woodburners by a good margin. A few complained they didn't like the smoke, but 10 times as many thought it was not a problem. I've never seen it as a problem, and about every third house has one now.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Here In Indiana it cost me less then 700.00 a year to heat my house - garage and a small out building with PL gas . I don,t cut wood I don,t need a saw or a log spliter I am not useing a truck or getting hurt .

15. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Parrot Man: Here is a link to a dealer in Ohio. It is for the Central Bolier brand mentioned in another post. They mention having a corn burner for them but not info as such. www.luckeywoodburner.com phone is 419-937-9663 hope this helps you some. Bill

16. prince_of_darkness

prince_of_darkness TS Member

i just see it as a waste of money and effort, how does one think he can heat the outside durring winter??

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Good thing some of you don't live near those Ca. wildfires that seem to pop up every year. That's a heck of a lot worst on the nose than any wood burning community I was ever in. Hap

18. shadow

shadow Active Member

The wood smoke coming out of my chimney smells like money saved to me.

19. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I had a wood pellet stove several yrs ago. I liked it very well but alot of these places only contract the pellets in the fall and plan to sell all they have before spring without reordering any so you better make sure it will take corn which I would rather pay the farmer.
    When we move I put a new building up a 30x5o with 12' celings. I insulated good on the inside. I bought a corn stove only not pellets. I don't need to worry about one more working part going out with this type of stove. The firebox does not need to rotate and break up clinkes. I just pull ou a brick size clinker once a day and keep going. I have to clean out the firebox about every 3rd day but that is not a problem. Corn has went up in price but I'd rather give it to the farmer than the gas man. I takes me about 3 ton of corn a season. I burn the cornburner on low as possible and it keeps that large area 60 degrees with no problem.
    I do have a fireplace in the house and burn wood in the house. CAUSE I LIKE THE SMELL OF HICKORY, CHERRY, WALNUT, OAK.

One more thing. On a corn burner all you need is a little 4" flue going straight out the back with a cover like a dryer vent over it. You don't need to run a stack up above your roof line. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.