1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Thoughts on Chrysler sale to Cerberus?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mrskeet410, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Doesn't Cerberus own Remington?

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

It makes one wonder what they see that Dailmer did not. What they believe they can do that no one else, to date, has been able to do.

Look for more "shake ups" and "cost cutting".

"Partnering" with the Union will be crucial but it will not be an easy road for either side.

Good luck to everyone at the new Chrysler.

Don (who owns a Chrysler product)

3. redbearmx15

redbearmx15 TS Member

BOY what a time to be having trouble with a 04 Pacifica. 25,000 miles and start to get a noise in the drive train . Check it out rebuild differential front and back. Ford dealer where I bought it done the back part and seen that it was left for the local Chrysler dealer to do the front repair.

Now all this time I am driving a loaner at the Ford store. Taking care of customer. went to pick it up at the Chrysler dealer and about half way home smoke starts rolling out from the hood. The water gauge didn't show warm so must be something else. Got back to Ford store and they check for heat on brake caliper's approx 125 deg, back part diff 200 deg, and nearer to the front by the clutches a whopping 327 deg. Now I have a 3yr old car with less than 26000miles on it and no one seems to fix it, and Cerberus buys out CHRYSLER.

RogerC/OH SJVCC

4. frank t

frank t TS Member

Yes they do own Remington. Perhaps they will give you complimenatary STS shells for buying a Chrysler.

Frank T

5. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Does it really matter so long as the majority continue to buy foreign made cars?

6. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

REMINGTON EDITION DURANGO'S OR WRANGLERS?
    MOPAR ACCESSORY SHOTGUN RACKS AND AMMO COMPARTMENTS???

SISTER COMPANYS TO CHRYSLER AND REMINGTON :

AIR CANADA. NATAIONAL AND ALAMO R.A.C., BLUEBIRD BUSSES, GMAC FINANCE

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

A few thoughts, IMHO:

The future health care costs for Chrysler’s active and retired workers scare European shareholders. So do the huge liability awards granted by US courts in a variety of cases, i.e., asbestos, tobacco, drugs, etc. As a result, Daimler’s shares were bid down in the marketplace. By cutting its losses and potential future liabilities, selling Chrysler at a loss was attractive to Daimler.

Lee Iacocca worked a miracle to save Chrysler in the late 1970’s and to bring Chrysler back into position as a desirable nameplate and takeover candidate. Let’s hope that Cerberus has some of the Iacocca magic.

Whoever owns Chrysler, they must sell more vehicles to survive. You cannot operate at a loss forever. With Toyota and Honda in the marketplace, saving Chrysler will be a tall order.

8. jester-the-molester

jester-the-molester TS Member

These private equity firms are typically not in it for the long haul. I guess that Cerberus will begin by splitting up Chrysler (Jeep, Cummins, Freightliner) and selling off the more profitable brands.

Keep in mind that Mercedes will still own about 20% of the company, plus they are giving upto a $400 million loan to Cerberus. Its not a simple "you bought it now its yours" transaction.

9. Chuckbuster

Chuckbuster TS Member

I knew there was a reason I drive a Crysler 300M

10. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Not to be nitpicky, but how does Cummins fit into a possible split up of Chrysler?

Cummins is a publicly traded company and Cerberus is not a significant shareholder of CMI.

11. Mac V

Mac V Guest

The Germans acknowledge that they made a couple of big mistakes when they merged with Chrysler...

They seriously overestimated how much their hi-tech German automobile technology would improve the Chrysler line, and...

They seriously overestimated how willing Americans would be to pay for the resulting products.

In other words, they rediscovered that you can't make chicken salad out of chicken poo and they discovered that Americans were too cheap to pay for it even if you could.

It looks like Daimler is prone to getting tied up with losing car companies because they bailed out of their failed hook-up with Mitsubishi just about 3 years ago.

Mike

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Like pirana on monkey.

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

My 1951 New Yorker with the first Hemi was about the last quality car they built. It was the pace car at Indy in'51. I had a sedan that would out run almost anyone on the road. There was a general feeling the company was doomed in the mid 1960's. Now, finally, maybe they are.

14. jimsw

jimsw Member

I was never able to understand why the world's best car company ever merged with the world's worst car company. Daimler finally saw the light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.