1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T The real John McCain. Good read.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

These stories moved me very much... they speak of courage, honor and decency....in a time when we very much need such attributes. I believe that it was ok to copy this for others to read. Jackie B.

Subject: Karl Rove on John McCain

April 30, 2008

OPINION

DOW JONES REPRINTS

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. To order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers, use the Order Reprints tool at the bottom of any article or visit:
    www.djreprints.com.

• See a sample reprint in PDF format.
    • Order a reprint of this article now.
    Getting to Know John McCain
    By KARL ROVE
    April 30, 2008; Page A17

It came to me while I was having dinner with Doris Day. No, not that Doris Day. The Doris Day who is married to Col. Bud Day, Congressional Medal of Honor recipient, fighter pilot, Vietnam POW and roommate of John McCain at the Hanoi Hilton.

As we ate near the Days' home in Florida recently, I heard things about Sen. McCain that were deeply moving and politically troubling. Moving because they told me things about him the American people need to know. And troubling because it is clear that Mr. McCain is one of the most private individuals to run for president in history.

AP

Col. (Ret.) Bud Day with John McCain at a campaign stop in Pensacola, Fla., in January.

When it comes to choosing a president, the American people want to know more about a candidate than policy positions. They want to know about character, the values ingrained in his heart. For Mr. McCain, that means they will want to know more about him personally than he has been willing to reveal.

Mr. Day relayed to me one of the stories Americans should hear. It involves what happened to him after escaping from a North Vietnamese prison during the war. When he was recaptured, a Vietnamese captor broke his arm and said, "I told you I would make you a cripple."

The break was designed to shatter Mr. Day's will. He had survived in prison on the hope that one day he would return to the United States and be able to fly again. To kill that hope, the Vietnamese left part of a bone sticking out of his arm, and put him in a misshapen cast. This was done so that the arm would heal at "a goofy angle," as Mr. Day explained. Had it done so, he never would have flown again.

But it didn't heal that way because of John McCain. Risking severe punishment, Messrs. McCain and Day collected pieces of bamboo in the prison courtyard to use as a splint. Mr. McCain put Mr. Day on the floor of their cell and, using his foot, jerked the broken bone into place. Then, using strips from the bandage on his own wounded leg and the bamboo, he put Mr. Day's splint in place.

Years later, Air Force surgeons examined Mr. Day and complemented the treatment he'd gotten from his captors. Mr. Day corrected them. It was Dr. McCain who deserved the credit. Mr. Day went on to fly again.

Another story I heard over dinner with the Days involved Mr. McCain serving as one of the three chaplains for his fellow prisoners. At one point, after being shuttled among different prisons, Mr. Day had found himself as the most senior officer at the Hanoi Hilton. So he tapped Mr. McCain to help administer religious services to the other prisoners.

Today, Mr. Day, a very active 83, still vividly recalls Mr. McCain's sermons. "He remembered the Episcopal liturgy," Mr. Day says, "and sounded like a bona fide preacher." One of Mr. McCain's first sermons took as its text Luke 20:25 and Matthew 22:21, "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's." Mr. McCain said he and his fellow prisoners shouldn't ask God to free them, but to help them become the best people they could be while serving as POWs. It was Caesar who put them in prison and Caesar who would get them out. Their task was to act with honor.

Another McCain story, somewhat better known, is about the Vietnamese practice of torturing him by tying his head between his ankles with his arms behind him, and then leaving him for hours. The torture so badly busted up his shoulders that to this day Mr. McCain can't raise his arms over his head.

One night, a Vietnamese guard loosened his bonds, returning at the end of his watch to tighten them again so no one would notice. Shortly after, on Christmas Day, the same guard stood beside Mr. McCain in the prison yard and drew a cross in the sand before erasing it. Mr. McCain later said that when he returned to Vietnam for the first time after the war, the only person he really wanted to meet was that guard.

Mr. Day recalls with pride Mr. McCain stubbornly refusing to accept special treatment or curry favor to be released early, even when gravely ill. Mr. McCain knew the Vietnamese wanted the propaganda victory of the son and grandson of Navy admirals accepting special treatment. "He wasn't corruptible then," Mr. Day says, "and he's not corruptible today."

The stories told to me by the Days involve more than wartime valor.

For example, in 1991 Cindy McCain was visiting Mother Teresa's orphanage in Bangladesh when a dying infant was thrust into her hands. The orphanage could not provide the medical care needed to save her life, so Mrs. McCain brought the child home to America with her. She was met at the airport by her husband, who asked what all this was about.

Mrs. McCain replied that the child desperately needed surgery and years of rehabilitation. "I hope she can stay with us," she told her husband. Mr. McCain agreed. Today that child is their teenage daughter Bridget.

I was aware of this story. What I did not know, and what I learned from Doris, is that there was a second infant Mrs. McCain brought back. She ended up being adopted by a young McCain aide and his wife.

"We were called at midnight by Cindy," Wes Gullett remembers, and "five days later we met our new daughter Nicki at the L.A. airport wearing the only clothing Cindy could find on the trip back, a 7-Up T-shirt she bought in the Bangkok airport." Today, Nicki is a high school sophomore. Mr. Gullett told me, "I never saw a hospital bill" for her care.

A few, but not many, of the stories told to me by the Days have been written about, such as in Robert Timberg's 1996 book "A Nightingale's Song." But Mr. McCain rarely refers to them on the campaign trail. There is something admirable in his reticence, but he needs to overcome it.

Private people like Mr. McCain are rare in politics for a reason. Candidates who are uncomfortable sharing their interior lives limit their appeal. But if Mr. McCain is to win the election this fall, he has to open up.

Americans need to know about his vision for the nation's future, especially his policy positions and domestic reforms. They also need to learn about the moments in his life that shaped him. Mr. McCain cannot make this a biography-only campaign – but he can't afford to make it a biography-free campaign either. Unless he opens up more, many voters will never know the experiences of his life that show his character, integrity and essential decency.

These qualities mattered in America's first president and will matter as Americans decide on their 44th president.

Mr. Rove is the former senior adviser and deputy chief of staff to President George W. Bush

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

He ain't going to get elected anyway, UNLESS people start pulling HARD for Obama right now, in the Democrat primary.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    McCain should have thought about his presidential aspirations before he screwed gunowners over with his gunshow loophole and gun registration crap.

4. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

My biggest problem with him is immigration, in this area he is a true democrat. Jake

5. Brian in Oregon

McCain is Democrat-Lite in many areas. He'll have a lot of appeal to more moderate Democrats and the undecideds.

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Shooting Jack:

Thank you for a good and informative post. I have heard most of these comments before but not the story about "Dr. McCain".

I think that John McCain will make a good president.

It looks like that we have candidates on the extreme far left, far left and moderate/right.

The country, after President Bush, does not favor another right wing candidate.

My primary issue in the campaign is national defense so I plan to vote for John McCain.

Ed Ward

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Re: after President Bush, does not favor another right wing candidate

The problem is, he is not right wing, he is a moderate...

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

John McCain is a Democrate in a Republican suit ... His stand on imagration is not to stand at all ... The real problem is look at all of the candidates and tell which one is any good at all ... We are in Deep doo doo any way you look at it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I`ve been signed in as a Democrate for over 49 years and finally realized I`m not a Democrate . So I switched over to the side I probaby belong . My vote for a president would first be that he has served in the Armed Forces which McCann had -- not Hillary or Billary and of course not Obama so my vote will go to Jimmy Boy and hope he makes it . I dread the thought of what the other 2 will do for this country . They talk a good story but thats all it is just to get elected .

10. Shooting Jack

Jack, You hit the nail on the head with the judge issue. I'm not fond of some of McCain's thinking but I have to take in consideration all areas and He is the best of the three by far. Yes, he is mighty close to a Dem. but I believe that his attitude toward immigration and gun control will be a little different if elected. What most folks don't seem to realize is Congress is the one that has done the most damage, they implement the changes, then the President gets blamed for it by the uneducated. America is fed up with the immigration situation and if folks would let their congressman know about it instead of complaining to folks that can't do any thing about it we will see the changes. Jackie B.

11. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

in spite of some previous post, it make me proud to be an american, I served in navel special forces for almost 10 years, and stories like this give me goose bumps. yes he will get my vote this november.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I will cast my vote for McCain but its only because there is no one else to vote for ... I hope his imagration reform policy's do not come back and bite him in the arse before its all over ... The problem most people have with McCain is they know he did nothing worth repeating while he represented the State of Arizona for many years, lets all hope he is a better Commander in Chief if he gets the nod ... I hope the next 4 years pass really fast and some power people run the next time who are against illegals taking over the country and are in favor of peoples rights ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

John McCain may be conservative at times, but he is not a conservative. His first inclination is to compromise. How can one compromise at every turn? Part of leadership is convincing others to come over to your side. McCain clearly doesn't have this critical leadership trait.

He immediately signed on to the lunacy of compact fluorescent lamps, global warming, and other left-wing causes.

He sided with Democrats when Republicans wanted to do away with the filibuster in judicial appointments. Never, in history of the Senate, were judicial appointments filibustered until George W. Bush was elected. McCain, and his "gang of fourteen" was a direct insult to Republican leadership in the Senate.

He is taking the same tack that George H. W. Bush took in a losing 1992 campaign. The Dems will skewer every conservative position, and McCain will not show the assertiveness it takes to become the most powerful leader in the world. He fails consistently in being faithful to Republican ideals. This label of "maverick" should really be defined as "turncoat". He's also petty and vindictive.

If conservatives sit out this election, or go libertarian, then the "Straight Talk Express" will derail. Voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil.

Best,
    Dennis

14. Shooting Jack

Dennis. And your recommendation is?

15. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Jack, no recommendation here. Vote one's conscience.

Best,
    Dennis

16. Brian in Oregon

"Vote one's conscience."<br>
    <br>
    That's why I'm writing in Ron Paul, Huckabee, Tancredo, or possibly voting Libertarian.<br>
    <br>
    None of the front runners are even worth their weight in skunk cabbage.

17. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

MIA,

Do you really believe Juan McCain will nominate anything near a conservative Judge(s)?

HELL NO!!

McCain needs to be able to stroke his ego, and show he can work the other side of the aisle. He will want his nominee confirmed, and the only way that can happen is to go through the majority of Democratic Senators. Those like Schummer, Feinstein, Reid, etc. The same ones he teamed up with to form the "Fabulous 14". We will never see the likes of the last two SC justices for a long long time.

As for the immigration issue, McCain has already said he will continue with his am-nasty for the illegeals. Even though the Supremes rules that ID's are legal, it's highly unlikely we'll see another other states adopt this stance, seeing most states' legislators are of the liberal ilk.

McCain will not get my vote(PERIOD). I will vote straight Republican on the ballot, but leave the POTUS blank. I'm finished with voting for the "lesser of the evils". The lesser right now IS left of center. The lesser is another Bob Dole, and has no chance in hell. The same dis-mantalers of the Republican party, are the same ones to derail Buchannan's effort in 1996.

Having Hillary or Hussein as POTHUS will make me violently ill, but Hillary WILL be the lesser of these two evils. We've already had one Clinton in office, so we already know what to expect, while McCain's expectation continue to amaze us....for the worst. Hillary will get less than 50% of the vote, so she'll have a battle on her hands everyday.

Our biggest concern is the election of our Congressman, especially if the Republican congressmen keep dipping their hands into little boys's pants, no one will trust them.

Here in MN, Al Franken(clown from Saturday Night Live) has been leading Norm Coleman(a Lib from Mass. turned Republican a few yrs back). Now Franken has been audited by the IRS and has been found himself in tax problems. His lead has shrunk, and both candidates are nearly tied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.