1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T The Indy mile is back

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

For all you dirt track enthusiest, The Indy Mile is back on for 2008. This will happen the same weekend that the MotoGP guys are in town. This is a very good thing and will make for one heck of a weekend in INDY!

The downside to all of this, is that I'm gonna have to take back most of the bad things that I've said about Tony George. He has done a good service to all of the M/C enthusiest.

Let me know if your coming to town, The first beer is on me!

ec90t

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I was with Rex at Indy the night he put up the first-ever 100 MPH lap on a closed-circuit mile track. He and Babe Demay had been waiting for a cool evening and a slightly damp track all summer and when it came, they were ready. Quite a memory.

[​IMG]

Neil

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Neil,

I'll bet that was heck of an evening at the track.

One of my earliest memories of flat track racing was watching King Kenny flying aroud the Indy Mile on a 2 Stroke 700cc Yamaha. This was back in the 70's and i was just a youngster.I guess the bike was soon outlawed.

Back in the mid 90's, I introduced a young man to a Yamaha VMAX. We were heading downtown after the race. He had never heard of one before and thought that his Sportster was fast. He liked to have died later when I told him that the VMAX was stock!

ec90t

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I hope the State Fair is the setting. The Twin Miles were the most fantastic races, other than Springfield.

Indy had a fantastic cushion, and rider ability was just as important as setup.

I also liked the indiana Pork Producers tent right my the grandstand entrance. wonderful pork chop sandwiches.

I will be there, and hope it's a twin mile or there's a short track.

I'm still interested in the Speedway venue that is/was going on there. What's up with that?

Let me know.

HM

5. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Halfmile, in what part of the country were you based when you were racing east or west coast? Did a bunch myself way back. JW

6. halfmile

JW, I was in Wisconsin. Got to Illinois a few times, Farmers City, Jerseyville.

Had to quit in 67 because promoters all got scared of outlaw bikers from Hell (remember those movies?) and there weren't enough races near. Rode a Ducati as a novice and had a ride on a Hansen BSA that was Eddie Clifford's before he got religion to avoid the draft.

Throw a little Blendzall on the fire. That smells better than Federal Papers.

HM

7. slik

slik TS Member

The pictures of Beauchamp got my blood going. I raced pro flat track (Camel Pro Series)in 1975, just a novice, had a Champion framed 360 Yamaha built by Northwest Engines out of Erie, PA. Raced in Pa. and Ohio mostly, seems like I have been to most fairgrounds in Ohio.

I was mainly a wannabe but did win some heat races. Seems like some races there would be 100 novices trying to make the final. I crashed pretty hard in Orville, OH one night and decided shooting would be better for my health.

The best part of racing was seeing the big dogs at the track, Springsteen, Moorehead, Beauchamp, the Scott brothers, Dave Aldana and many more. Just thinking about those guys and the way those Harleys sounded coming out of turn 4 gets me pumped. Racing with those guys on the short tracks could be a little intimidating.

I traveled a little with Brad Hulings from Edinboro, Pa (59A) he was a heck of a racer and ended up with a factory snowmobile ride. Anyway, thanks for the memories. Doug Sliker 73A

8. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Man, that is good news. I wish flattrack would get better media coverage...after shotgun sports, it is the best! I can smell that "bean oil" now....

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

An old Bart Markle fan here. He was about as good as they came back in the dark ages. Loved that castor oil smell!!!

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Halfmile,

The race is going to be held about 2 weeks after the fair. The State fair is usually in the middle of August.

The speedway racing has folded up. Seems as if the promoter ran out of money. There is now, a state flat tracking series. They run about 10 to 12 races a summer at different tracks around the state. They are getting good turnout of both competitors and fans. I think that if you google Indiana flat track racing you'll come up with their wedsite and schedule.

The deal still stands with any TS'ers comeing to Indy. The first beer is on me!

ec90t

11. halfmile

God, that's too bad. Sjpeedway racing has to be more fun than shooting doubles.

My old partner nad a Jawa Speedway bike, he got killed in a plane crash before he had time to use it.

Don't know what happened to it.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.