1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T The Crean and Crimsome

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ec90t, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Well, my beloved Hoosiers took to the court tonight for the first game of the regular season. The managed to win the game by double digits and were surprisingly good at times. Sure they weren't playing a Big 10 caliber team, but none the less a win is a win. Tom Crean is a fine coach and will fit in well with the fans. A definit step , or three possibly four, above the last coach that almost single handedly destroyed one of the finest basketball programs in the country.

I'm impressed by the players and coaching alike! My hat's off to you Coach Crean on a good start to an interesting season!

ec90t

2. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

The only thing I don't like about Crean is that it is hard to hate 'em.... the days of the blood thirsty basketball rivalry looks long gone...

Will be a tough year for the C&C... but next year brings promise. I will be interesting to watch the two recruiting classes of '09 - Purdue's all in-state recruits (4 of 4) and Indiana's mainly out-of-state recruits (either 3 of 5 or 4 of 6)... will be fun!

BTW, I have a $100 bet with my brother-in-law... he says IU returns to the Sweet 16 before Purdue does...

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

John,

With their exsiting players and the recruiting classes comeing in, Purdue will be a team to fear for the near future no matter what conference you're in!

I figure it will take IU 3 years to get firmly back on their feet. It's a shame considering they had a national championship caliber team before Sampson screwed it all up.

ec90t

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I see DJ Byrd from North Montgomery High School is coming to PU, that is bad news for IU.

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Go Hawks. We are going to dominate in a year or so. Todd Lickliter is a tough coach.

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

God loves all college basketball fans, especially those in the Big 10!

ec90t

7. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i few of us like that steve kinser guy from indiana also, although he has nothing to do with basketball. dwain

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

dbc61451,

That's what us Hoosiers do when the weather is warm. We shoot and enjoy open wheel racing. I sure wish they'd bring back Thursday Night Thunder at IRP. It was great going to see some of the best open wheel racers in the country on Thursday night and barely being able to get up for work on Friday mornin'.

ec90t

9. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Gentlemen,

You don't have to be a Hoosier to love the tradition of Indiana Basketball. We of the Orange and Blue to the West of you, have long valued the rivalry with our Eastern neighbors.

You have a great coach now. You have a man who prizes traditional, loyalty, competitiveness and hard work and scholastic success just as he prizes winning on the court. The long honored and respected tradition of Indiana basketball is not lost. It might be a season or two away before the winning ways are re established, but pride and integrity have returned full force right now. I will watch and cheer for the Hoosiers in every game, EXCEPT when they play my beloved Illini.

GO Hoosiers!

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bobby,

My ex-wife is a U of I alumnist. Both her mother and father worked for the university as well. Things were a little tense at times around the house. Lol.

ec90t

11. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

WHAT?!?!?! The U of I didn't like Sampson? SHOCKING! :)

Bobby, Purdue is much closer to Purdue and Painter is in Weber's "bloodline". Why not cheer for them? :)

Looks like it will be a fun Big Ten year. All of the pre-preseason stuff (like August and before) had Purdue winning the conference. Now, I have seen Michigan State (that must be one talented freshmen they brought in), Ohio State & Purdue picked to win - depending on who you read. My favorite (of course) is SI -- Purdue picked as a preseason #5 in the country. If we can keep the pressure D and the 3 point % up, we will be tough to beat. If we start clanking from 249 inches (6.32 meters for you Europeans), well....

If you guys had not read it yet, there was a great article on Crean and IU in SI about two weeks ago -- mash the link above. Tom does look a little funky in the Red warmups...

John

12. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

And, of course, a link to one of the best written stories in SI I have ever read... :)

NIT Tip Off tomorrow. Ahhh.... it is nice to be able to look forward to college basketball season again!

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

John,

Great read and thanks for the link!

ec90t

14. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

ec90t,

Good to see you are "stained" even if acidentally with traces of Orange and Blue! I am betting you did have some spirited discussions from time to time at the dinner table!

John,

The annual Coaches against Cancer dinner at the Beef House shows the bond between Purdue and Illinois. Coach Keady was always a fan favorite here and now Matt Painter and Bruce Weber continue the great tradition and rivalry established by he and Lou Henson. Pre Season ratings are usually worth exactly what it cost to get them, NOTHING! I do think Purdue will prove it's worth where it counts though, and that is on the court. Should be a great season to be sure.

For me there is no better sport than College Basketball and specifically BIG TEN basketball!

Best to all of you

Bobby

15. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Good ol' sweet Lou... nearly forgot about him! :)

When you guys had a kid named Hester playing for UI, we (the academic nerds) had some pretty creative chants for him based on "The Scarlet Letter"... we were a little bored that season... :(

Completley agree about the pre-season polls -- but, we need some glimmer of hope after this horrible football season.

And ditto on college basketball -- the only sport I can sit down and watch for the entire game and not care who is playing.

John

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bobby,

When my ex and I first started dating she invited me over to her parents farm for Thanksgiving dinner. When I was introduced to her 2 brothers and parents at the dinner table she stood up and made it known to the family that I was a IU fan, I drove Chevy trucks, and that the color of my farm equipment was red.

Her family all drove Fords and they farmed with those darn green machines. It was quite a comical scene, needless to say. I should have known it was doomed in the beginning. Lol.

I will have to say this, this has to be the most civil conversation in history between 3 Big 10 fans that all like different teams. What's this world coming too? Lol.

ec90t

17. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

maybe it is because the big ten has won the big dance only once since 1990? and that was with the Spartans -- ugh!

Boilers take care of business against Eastern Michigan in the first round of the NIT tip off classic. Look like the final two rounds in New York could be pretty good... 4 highest ranked teams are: Oklahoma, Arizona, BC & Purdue.

18. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Jeff,

That would have been Peoria Central product Jerry Hester who was a highly desired product by Indiana in the recruiting process. He was NOT interested in playing for Bobby Knight......

ec90t,

You can always "tell" a Ford driver but you CANNNOT "tell" them much! And I always heard that John Deere was painted green so they could hide in the grass when the Big Red Thrashing Machines came rolling by!

I will always be a fan of the Big THREE of the Big TEN! Illinois, Purdue and Indiana, and IN THAT ORDER PLEASE! LOL! I am for these 3 and ANYONE who is playing Iowa at the time!

Best to all of you!

Bobby

19. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

As the saying goes at Purdue: My two favorite teams are Purdue and whoever is playing IU...

Is it odd that this conversation is just between the three of us?

20. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Wow Jeff! Lighten up on the boilers will ya! They ain't Hawkeye fans you know.....

Big Ten Basketball is the best!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.