1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: The Best Coffee Maker For Home??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DoubleAuto, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

We just had another coffeemaker go out at home. We have tried the good BUNN's (started leaking after a year: daughter's leaked after 6 months) and no telling how many others. My wife is the only coffee drinker in the house. Can anyone recommend a good coffeemaker that will last a reasonable time and make a good tasting cup of coffee? Are the all metal ones better or worse than the ones with plastic?

Any help is appreciated.

2. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Ihave had good luck with my bunn, it is 3 years old, if you live where the water is very hard, the seat where the valve rests on will not allow it to seat properly, delime it regularly---Phil---a simple bullet proof coffee maker is something called a "French Press"---boating friends of ours used it on their boat for years---Phil

3. trap-shooter

trap-shooter TS Member

DoubleAuto, since you say your "wife is the only coffee drinker in the house" I suggest you take a look at the Keurig line of coffee makers.

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The best coffee is supposedly made with a French press. It does not boil the coffee as do peculators and the coffee does not circulate through the grounds. French presses also allow longer contact with the hot water before the coffee is poured.

The down side is that water must be boiled separately and then into the press to be followed by the coffee. The coffee is kept out of that which is drunk by a filter forced down in the press to remove the grounds.

Rollin

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Bunn. My 8 cupper lasted 15 yrs. The one we have now is 5 yrs old and needs to be delimed once a month. 3 minutes..10 cups.

6. chuckles

chuckles Member

Mr Coffee, keep it simple, keep it cheap...its hot water flavored with coffee grains...

regards

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

A $15 Mr. Coffee has been doing it just fine for me for the past 15 years.

Eric

8. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Forgot to mention, all the water that goes into our Bunn goes into a Brita filter first, we also have a whole house water filter that is on our main line---it really helps---made by American plumber, cheap & effective----Phil

9. Ted N.

Ted N. TS Member

We're on our second Bunn, the first one started leaking after a couple years, this one has been doing a good job for 6 or 7 years now. I do try to remember to delime it every month or so.

But, for you coffee lovers, recently we received a gift package of coffee beans from a place called CoffeeFool, (coffeefool.com), and to be honest, I have never tasted coffee this good. They say it's because they don't roast it until you place your order. And you can get it ground or whole bean and grind it yourself with one of those inexpensive little coffee/spice grinders. It's a bit more expensive than the stuff in the stores, but SO much better.

I'm not connected with this company in any way, (except now as a customer), this is just a heads-up for those who enjoy good coffee.

Merry Christmas, Ted N

10. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

I have a Quisinart Grind & Brew. Ive had it for 7 years works great,It grinds the beans and brews it. A little pricey $100.00 But you cant beat fresh brewed coffee...Nuc

11. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

What is the best way to delime a coffeemaker?

12. oletymer

oletymer Member

Run vinegar through it and it cleans out the build up. Run water through it a couple of time after.

13. Cooper

Cooper TS Member

Last year I bought a one cup coffee maker made by Black @ Decker. It's set up to take pre-measured pods but it ends up being kind of expensive that way so I bought the adaptor to take fresh grounds. Total cost around $60.00. It can make a 7 to 14 oz. cup of coffee or tea. Cheap, conveinent and has worked without fail. Cooper

14. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Over the years, we have had three Bunn's. All made good coffee and all began to leak. I also wondered about the electricity cost to keep the water warm.

Chuckles and Mixer have discovered that a simple Mr. Coffee is the best coffee maker.

We have now used a Mr. Coffee daily for the past 10 or more years to make coffee and tea. A Mr. Coffee usually lasts about 3-4 years.

The secret to good coffee is to use the right amount (for you) of premium coffee. As soon as the coffee is brewed, transfer it to an air tight insulated container. Also, I use about 4 coffee filters at one time. They are inexpensive and multiple filters, IMO, make the coffee taste better, especially after a couple of hours in a thermos.

We have excellent tap water in Louisville, KY so there is no need to filter the water with a Britta filter. I put our Brita away years ago and do not miss it.

We use dishwasher powder and hot water to clean the glass coffer pot on the Mr. Coffee and the inside of stainless steel coffee mugs and thermos bottles.

Sam's Club sells large cans of an excellent 100% Arabica coffee. No need to spend big bucks on special coffee.

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Listen to Rollin. I too bought a French press ( $19 @ Fred Myer, Walmart or other places) Best damned coffee you will ever make - I have a med sized one makes two cups, they have larger and smaller. Make sure to only grind enough beans for each day and do it while water is boiling so it is fresh.

16. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Cuisinart or Krups. Both make great coffee.........Roger

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I always liked McDonald's coffee. The owner told me their secret........a higher brewing temperature. That's why Espresso is so good, they force steam through the coffee.

Unfortunately the temp on most coffee makers is regulated by a little thermistor that you can't adjust. I did replace a couple in past years, but never found any high temp ones.

So I use the french press or espresso machine if I am needing quality, but the 10 dollar Mr. coffe suffices most of the time.

HM

18. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

Keurig gets my vote also. Adjustable temp, choice of three cup sizes, CONSISTENT flavorful coffee for one. roughly 60 cents a cup in many quality brands of K-cups. Unless you live in a reasonably large metro area you may not find K-cups. I order mine and they are delivered fresh to my door.
    I tried a Black & Decker single cup unit. It sizzled whenever it was plugged in. I don't like that. It really is a personal choice just like the shotgun in your safe.

19. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If your Bunn coffee maker starts to leak, take the top off (4 screws and tighten the nut where the water goes down to the tank.

Learned that after ours started leaking after 15 years, and I went out and bought a new one. Figgered what the heck, I'll open the ole one to see why it leaked...arrrggghhh...all it took was to tighten that nut! Gave it to my son.... he's still using it.

20. Beak

Beak TS Member

Have to agree. We have had 3 Bunn's with problems. We are back to a "Mr. Coffee" - The Timex of Coffee Makers. Beak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.