1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: The 3-Day

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mimi, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimi

mimi TS Member

Guess what? I've decided to walk the Chicago Breast Cancer 3-Day! The 3-Day is a 60 mile walk over 3 days to help fund breast cancer research, treatment, education, and prevention. Each participant must raise a minimum of $2,300 to participate through personal fundraising efforts. This money is then used to fund breast cancer research and awareness through the Susan G. Komen for a Cure foundation and the National Philanthropic Trust.

Often, when I tell people that I am going to walk the 3 Day, I'm asked, "Well, who are you walking for?" because most people are doing the walk in honor, memory, or support of someone else. To that question, my response is "I'm not walking for anyone." You see, I'm walking for everyone.

I'm 23 years old. And I'm lucky. I know that. I have a great family, great friends, have had numerous awesome opportunities. I live in the best state of the greatest nation in the world. I'm the proudest member of the Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2008 and look forward to becoming part of the Notre Dame 'Fightin' Irish' family this year. I've been able to travel the world shooting and representing my country and seen and done things I never would have imagined. It seems as though, throughout my life, doors have opened all around me, and I've been fortunate enough to take advantage of those opportunities. Everyone should be so lucky.

But cancer takes away some people's chance to be lucky like me. And I don't like that. I don't like that people's lives are ended short or their quality of life deteriorated by this disease. According to Susan G. Komen for the Cure, more than 200,000 American women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year, and nearly 40,000 will die from the disease. I want to help change that. And if walking the 3 Day helps fund awareness and research efforts to stop breast cancer, then raising some money and walking 60 miles seems like a good place for me to start.

In the time it has taken you to read this, 2 more women were diagnosed with breast cancer, and another just died from it. As a matter of fact, while I'm walking those 60 miles, 110 women will die from this horrible disease. 110 families will lose a mother, a daughter, a best friend.

So that's why I'm walking the 3-Day. "Everyone Deserves a Lifetime" is the motto of the 3-Day. It's true. Everyone deserves a chance to be lucky, to work hard, to love their kids, to watch their grandchildren play t-ball. Everyone deserves a lifetime. And no one deserves cancer.

I'm asking you to help me reach my 3-Day goals. Here's how you can help:

* DONATE: Online donation to help me reach $2,300 is easy and pain free. $100 goes a long way. You can even set up a monthly donation plan. Check with your employer to see if they do matching gift donations. http://www.the3day.org/goto/mimiwilfong

* Help me with fundraising ideas! $2,300 is the minimum (let's say that again: 'minimum') and we all know I try to be an overachiever!

* Training support. The Chicago 3-Day is August 7-9. Until then, I have a 24 week training program that builds walking mileage so my body and feet will be ready to walk 20 miles a day, 3 days in a row. This means that I will spend a LOT of time walking and listening to my iPod. Send some music suggestions and encouragement. That'd be cool. I've started a blog to document my progress, so check that out. And I'll periodically send emails to keep you updated.

***SEND THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!! The more people who know, the more people are aware, more money is raised, more research conducted, the closer we are to finding a cure.

Thank you!!!

Mimi Wilfong
    mimitwilfong@aol.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.