1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Thanks to Brian in Oregon - Snow Chains

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by School Teacher, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Brian in Oregon

About 2 years ago I posted a question concerning if snow chains were still in use. You responded that yes they are but with more front wheel drive cars in use along with 4x4's, that they were not as common.

You commented that you still used them sometimes and suggested that if one bought snow chains that they should be fitted and any extra chain links be removed.

To make a long story short, I took your advice and bought a set for my Tundra with 16" wheels. I mounted them on the truck and trimmed them as instructed.

Well, I did not need them last year but last night we had a major ice storm in Louisville, KY. My neighbors with 4x4 Jeeps had a real difficult time climbing the hill out of our subdivision. One made it and the other gave up and returned home.

Since I take care of my aged mother, I have to be able to get out. I put the chains on just as I had practiced and can go anywhere I please. The ride is a little noisy and bumpy but their is absolutely no slipping or sliding. We will have ice for a few more days so these chains have been a life saver.

Thanks for your good advice.

Ed Ward

2. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

An old Wyoming cowboy told me once as he was pulling my new four wheel drive off the side of a mountain, "Son, the first thing we do here is put chains on when it snows more than a foot." I probably would of died that night if it wasn't for that cowboy. I always carry my chains with me now.

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Studs work almost equally as well but you will need some new snow tires to put them in, might as well get some old steel rims and be ready to go.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Ed, glad to help. Just keep in mind that chains don't make you Superman. You can get into trouble with them, too.

Studs definitely have not worked around here for a couple of storms in the last couple of years or so. Studded tires did not have the traction to claw their way out of ice covered deep ruts with a thin water layer on them. Only a 4x4 with heavy chains could do that. One storm was so bad the National Guard got called out to get the paramedics around the area.

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

The thing to remember when using chains is they make it easier to go but DO NOT help you stop when you hit the brakes to hard on ice. The brakes will lock up on ice and slide so I will let off on the gas to slow down and put it in a lower gear to help slow it down more. Use the brakes lightly and pump off and on.Ray

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Many years ago I was a Carbide Tool salesman in the Midwest. I use to put snow tires and carbide studs in all four tires on my big Chevy's. Sounded like a tank going down the street, but I was never stuck in any kind of weather. Of course, I would loose all my hubcaps every year sliding around corners. It was cheap fun.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I think studs are not legal in Wisconsin. They were wearing ruts in the concrete highways. They were all the rage at one time. I don't see them around here any more.

HM

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

I have a couple of sets of chains around here if someone wants them. Dont ask me to ship the things, they are so heavy that the shipping would eat you alive.

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I used to carry 4 strap-on chains 2 for each drive wheel. Theyu always worked to get me out of tight spots. Do they still make them?

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Well I certainly hope so. I use strap-ons year round!

-S&M Snyder

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mkleAMR3IyI?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mkleAMR3IyI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

If you absolutely have to get where you want to go.....this is it.

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

...and here is a very cool invention that dates back to 1924!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jj7ZugSMrHw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jj7ZugSMrHw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

13. shrek

shrek Active Member

Halfmile,

you are correct, no more studded tires in WI.

14. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

studs work on a 2 to 4 in snow and ice but dont seem to work in grass or mud cant understand that? put them on a riding lawn mower and didnt seem to help at all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.