1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: technology question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by AveragEd, Aug 15, 2013.

1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

A friend has offered to allow our son and me to hunt from his "cabin," which I suspect is more "summer home-like" than "cabin," in Pennsylvania's Clinton County (north of Lock Haven for you north-central Pennsylvanians). We plan to go there for a few days late next week to do a little scouting and the owner told me there is no cellular or GPS service there. I can understand how there might not be CEL towers in that mountainous area but a GPS communicates directly with satellites, so I think it should work as long as it has a clear sightline to a satellite. Or am I forgetting something?

Ed

2. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

No Ed, your GPS will work.

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Phones works off towers and relays/ gps works off satellites and should be usable anywhere there is a shot at the skys. gps can give you lat /lon with 2 satellites and give you elevation also if there are 3 sats in view. Don't worry and always carry a compass in case the batteries give up.

4. AveragEd

Thanks - that's what I thought. He might have meant that some of the rural roads might not be mapped into the GPS software but my Garmin "paints" roads on the screen as I drive on ones that "aren't there" and if I save the location by its coordinates, it will take us back there later on.

Ed

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Not sure who your carrier is, but Verizon works there - unless your down in a valley - you do tend to loose line of sight coverage, but it's easy to find signal as well.

GREAT area - miles upon miles of state park and state forest. If it gets too hot check out Parker Dam State Park - nice swimming area near where you'll be. It has a beaver dam just after you enter on the right.

Might be worth hitting the state park office - I think it is on 153 just north of 80 (814-765-0821, fd09@pa.gov). There are about 15 parks and forests in that area.

Lots of gas/oil wells in the area which is kind of cool to look at if you've never seen them before.

Just east of that area (Snow Shoe, PA) there is a 'trails to rails' - http://www.ssrt.org/

Cherry Springs is the only spot on the east coast that rates 'Dark Skies' - http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/cherrysprings/cherrysprings-darkskies/,

6. AveragEd

I'm sorta-kinda familiar with the area as I get up to our car rental office in Lock Haven every now and then and his place isn't too far from there - it's a little south of Mill Hall, if I recall correctly.

We have had Verizon as our CEL carrier for 11 years primarily because when I shopped for plans and researched carriers, they had the most towers of any wireless provider. I was coming from PCS-1, the predecessor to T-Mobile, and had put up with no service and dropped calls on a daily basis, so coverage was important to me.

In that time, I think I've had a half-dozen dropped calls and most of them were on I-81 in northern Virginia, just south of the West Virginia border. Our son went to college in Harrisonburg, VA and I used to shoot at the Winchester Gun Club a few times each year. We knew not to initiate any calls for that ten-minute stretch in northern Virginia.

Ed