1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T, Taurus PT-92 experience?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Steve W, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Have a gentleman wants to trade his Taurus PT-92 for a shotgun stock in the $400 price range.

The PT-92 is an early model, no de-cocker, but has 1911 magazine release, matte chrome or SS with smooth factory wood grip. No scratches, seems in excellent shape.

I don't have any experience with PT-92 except I know it's an early version of Beretta 92SB, and usually cost $150~200 less than a Beretta 92F, seems the fit & finish is not as good as Berettas.

Anyone has first hand experience with the PT-92? Is it as reliable as the Beretta? Any problems with it?

Wonder if I should keep it. I already have a few Beretta 92F s (my favorite pistol).

Thank you for your advise.

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Have had both Beretta and Taurus models. It is my understanding that Taurus originally made these on "nationalized" Beretta machinery in Brazil (Brazil being one of those countries that requires a product be made there by foreign manufacturers to be sold there, or at least a high percentage of the product). I had no problems with the Taurus other than it didn't like semi-waductters (but most nine mm guns don't). Well made, about as accurate as any of those loosey goosey models (92s of either ilk).

Tales I hear in the shop show support about equal for both manufacturers on that model with the owner favoring Taurus.

3. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

The PT92 is based on the original Beretta 92 pistol. They can make it identical to the old Beretta design because the original Beretta patents have expired.

Beretta built the plant in Brazil because of the large South American military contracts awarded for the 92. At a time of war, most countries don't want their guns to be made overseas. Contract expires, Beretta no longer needed the factory, so they sold it to Taurus.

With the Taurus, you get a Beretta with a much more desirable (in my opinion) frame mounted 1911-style safety.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mine have the mag release on the lower part of the grip, rather than like the current ones up near the trigger guard. They are old and have served well. My Berettas are about the same in fit and finish. All of them work as expected. The Taurus was less expensive at the time and I have no major complaints.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I shoot the PT92 AFS, in stainless, but mine has the decocker. never cared for the smooth wood grips and put on the Hogues... black and stainless - sharp, but I didn't think mine was worth $400... hmmmm. (lol)

I like the 15 capacity...

regards all,

jay

6. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

The pt92 is a good gun and a great value. I would want it at about $350 to be more in line for a dealer but it is stainless you say and your market is probably better than mine. If it is an early steel framed, not aluminum it would be worth more. Being heavier they shoot softer and used to be sought out by competition shooters because of that. The very early models with the mag release on the butt are not as popular.

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Thank you gentlemen for your comments, I like the gun but seems it's not worth $400 in the used market?

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

That may change in the near future..I haven't noticed gun values going down..you just need to hang onto it a little longer..on the other hand a piece of wood will always be just a piece of wood ..thats just me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.