1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Taurus 1911 .45ACP-Who uses this gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by new loader, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

These have been out for a while now, and I'm getting interested. Has anyone bought one of these yet? Who can provide a review of this gun? Thanks to all.

2. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I have one. Great value for the money. If you want a SHOOTER. Not a "pretty" gun or a "safe queen".

Gun comes with checkered front strap, Dick Heine combat sights; is very accurate. Mine so far has fed 500 rds of hardball without a hitch. Puts everything into a ragged hole about the size of a silver dollar at 15 yards.

Clean, crisp trigger, internal surfaces are better polished than my two Springfield armory 1911s costing double the money. Feed ramp polished and radiused.

The chief drawback is the external finish is crappy and really thin. Especially where the rounded top surface of the slide meets with the flat sides - there is wear almost from the box on ALL of the ones I've seen (about six guns at three gun stores)

Mine shoots a few inches high at 15 yards. I haven't shot it at 25 yet. I will try that because it might be factory zeroed for hardball at 25. I've only owned mine for a month and shot it twice.

The mags it comes with are funky and some sort of aftermarket crap. They work in my Taurus - but the mags WON'T work in my other .45s reliably. Moot point since my principal mag is the Wilson 47-D that works with everything.

Overall, for the money, the Taurus is probably the BEST value on the market for a 1911 based .45 if you want a SHOOTER that you won't care if it gets, scratched, dinged, has its mags dropped in mud puddles during IDPA matches, etc.

It comes with a funky hammer lock (like Springfield now puts in the back strap)
    which I think is better than the Springfield design.

I used to post that the Dan Wesson (CZ owned) Point Man 7 was the best out there and I love mine, but since CZ bought out Dan Wesson, they doubled the price from $600 to $1,200 overnight.

Buy a Taurus 1911 you won't be disappointed.

3. shaner

shaner Member

i dont own one but have shot them , and friend owns one , great gun forthe bucks, iam still a believer in taurus, ive owned a few ofthem in different stlyes and all i have owned been good shooters and a value forthe buck, i have a couple of the revolvers and all shoot better then i do , as forthe CZ dam wesson deal?? i bought my pointman and thought well its a mid range priced gun?? think it was in the 550 range when i got it , now cz doubled iit ??? whats with that deal??? i seen their price wow , anyone got a idea ?

4. shaner

shaner Member

i dont own one but have shot them , and friend owns one , great gun forthe bucks, iam still a believer in taurus, ive owned a few ofthem in different stlyes and all i have owned been good shooters and a value forthe buck, i have a couple of the revolvers and all shoot better then i do , as forthe CZ dam wesson deal?? i bought my pointman and thought well its a mid range priced gun?? think it was in the 550 range when i got it , now cz doubled iit ??? whats with that deal??? i seen their price wow , anyone got a idea ?

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Get a Springfield XD, 45 ACP.

Curt

6. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Gun Test magazine will have the Taurus in their next issue, you might want to see what they find first. Springfield 1911's are the best buy IMO, the XD is also a great gun but not a 1911.

7. bocephus

bocephus Member

I have purchased 3 Taurus 1911s. Would not hesitate, buy 1. In fact my wife still needs 1. I believe the mags are Novak, never had a problem with them in any of our other 1911s regardless of brand. The more you shoot them the better the trigger gets. All 3 very accurate. There is always a waiting list here at local gunshop for them.

I also have Springfield XDs I like them also but...they are not the 1911....

8. lefty o

lefty o Active Member

there was a thread recently about the taurus 1911's over at the louderthan words forum run by Ted Yost. Teds comments on the gun were pretty funny- i dont believe you could pay him to work on a taurus 1911.

9. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Dan Wesson was great before CZ doubled the price.

The Point Man Seven and the S&W 1911 use the SAME raw cast frame. The frames are then shipped separately to the Dan Wesson/CZ and S&W shops for polishing, assembly and fit.

Before CZ, the PM7 was every bit as good as the S&W 1911 for half the price.

I have heard the the SIG 1911 entry leaves a lot to be desired for the money.

10. new loader

new loader Member

If the finish of the blued model is not all that great, maybe a stainless model might be better? Not much price difference.

11. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I bought mine with the intention of giving it harsh use and using under adverse shooting situations, (rain, etc.) without destroying the finish on my pristine 45s like my as-new early 80s Colt my Springield Trophy Match, etc.

I'm happy it looks like crap from the box, because, like my Glock, I won't care about IDPA "abuse", it's going to get banged up a lot more and that's why I bought it.

Why beat the crap out of a $2,000 Wilson or Les Baer when a $500 gun is just as good for what I'm doing with it?

12. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

I am thinking about getting this Taurus PT 1911 - Are there any current comments or reviews? Thanks, Matt

13. luckyshot

luckyshot TS Member

how will this gun compare to the para ordinance guns? i have the urge to buy the hicap p 14 in midnight blue. i now have a series 80 colt stainless officers model, but i am liking the idea of a hicap 1911. the taurus is a gun that is on my mind also.luckyshot

14. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

The guys that have one. Does yours rattle when you shake it? Put about 500 rounds through one. Shot good trigger was good but it rattled i could not find anything loose. Guy at range made an offer and i took him up on it. rick

15. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

These guns are pretty good but you have to keep in mind that there's a reason they are 1/2 the price of most anything else. So far though, they haven't shown any real problems and we haven't seen enough rounds through one to know if it'll hold up to something like IPSC competition. Accuracy was on par with Kimber's low end guns.

16. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Bought one of the first ones out. No rattles, but it has the features of the Wilson Cqb that I have. Not as nicely finished, but a forged frame built off Colt machinery. Trigger not as good as the Wilson or Colts, but with a stone or drop in parts probably ALMOST as good. I bet it would do anything that you asked of it within reason, and I have not problem reaching for it if the bogeyman goes bump in the night.

I had a friend that brought ont of the early S/A's TRP and it was such a piece of junk he called it a Tactical Response Paperweight. At the factory more then he had it!

But for the cost, for someone that is looking for an entry level 1911 it can't be beat. IMHO! Happy Easter. Rick Gibbs

17. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I have had one for more than a year now and have exactly Zero complaints about it other than the finish and if you take just a little care of it, it is not even that bad. Got mine on my hip as I type. Pretty much a constant companion. Eats any ammo fed to it so far. Plenty good accuracy. A fine 500 dollar gun. I only wish that the stainless one would have been available when I got my blued one. I tried to wait till it came out, I really did but in the end, I just couldn't wait. Still, all in all, I am very happy with mine. John

18. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I've got one of these. Shoots great. It is not a hi-cap, but does have eight round mags with it. Long-term, we'll see. I only have a few hundred rounds through it. Looks like and feels like my brother's high dollar Kimber, maybe not quite as smooth. Still a few hangups on match wadcutters. (I believe in 500 round break-in period, however...still have half that to go). I've done some work on other 1911's I've owned and a basic stocker and with a few minimal modifications cost more than the Taurus. Supposed to be forged frame and slide..should hold up well. Accuracy with everything so far has been acceptable. I'm shooting it alongside my Colt Series 80 38 super for comparison purposes.

19. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I shot one and was somewhat surprised. A fellow at the range had one and I was shooting my Gold Cup. Since my group was decent and his wasn't he asked me to try his Taurus.

First of all it was a nice looking stainless gun. Secondly the trigger pull was lighter and crisper than my Gold Cup. I shot ten rounds and had a nice group but it was low and to the left significantly. The owner was also getting hits low and left.

The limited times I shot it proved nothing except it seemed solid with no rattles, had accuracy potential, a nice trigger and wasn't zeroed at the factory.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.