1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: STRANGE debate at Gun Club.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I couldn't help but overhear a rather strange debate that was brewing at one of the local clubs last night and I'm not sure what to make of it. In one corner, this fellow was pushing the idea that you had better stock up on canned foods because if a nuke should go off, canned food is good FOREVER.

In the other corner, there was a Clown who was poking holes in this guys line of BS and claimed that canned food is actually only good for a few years or so.

Who was right. Is canned food good FOREVER?

2. jhoward

jhoward Member

Tightlining or using a bobber, Tron? Slow day in the shop?

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Remember Tron.. You need to mend the line constantly..... Jeff

4. Surfside6

Surfside6 TS Member

Interesting. In 1964, while in the army, we enjoyed WW2 c rations and 5 in 1's. I wish I had saved some of the cigarettes Wings, green lucky's. The rations ate well and no one got sick. Tom

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    As long as the can isn't rusty, food can last much longer than the expiration date on the can.

6. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Spam may last 65 years but chum works better.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

All depends on how hungry you are. HMB

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

As long as no air gets in the can via rust or puncture, there may be no time limit.

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

A can, can survive a nuclear blast? Those people back in the 50s who built bomb shelters in the backyard sure look dumb, now. They could have just hid in a 55 gallon drum and survived.

10. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Expiration dates on most foods is determined by the marketting department of the producer ... ever notice an expiration date on bottled water ... as long as water is stored in a cool dark or shaded place it will last for decades.

When companies discovered people would discard and re-buy dated goods the race was on. I've even seen "use by" dates on shampoo! Really.

If you store your canned goods in a dry cool basement they will be good for MANY years. There are some acidic foods like canned tomatoes which leach some chemicals from the plastic can liner, but they really don't pose a dramatic health risk.

My wife rotates the canned food we use from front to back as she buys it, so most of it gets used up in a calendar year or so. Thusfar no ill effects from eating the older stuff ... other than my waistline! FOREVER is a long time though, so I would agree that nothing is good forever ... common sense would dictate a lot here. Sniff and inspect before eating.

Nice bait tron, just couldn't resist the post!

Bob Schultz

11. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

Not necessarily so. There is an expiration date on every case of C-Rats. In the early eighties we were issued some cases that were out of date and when we passed them out, everyone was warned not to eat anything from a bulging can. A couple of idiots did and they wound up being carted to the base hospital with food poisoning.

R/s<br />
    Charlie

p.s. I really miss chopped ham and eggs! If you could trade the peanut butter for a can of cheese and then heat it all up, it was heaven. The only problem was that you might have to include your shit disks to make the trade. :)

12. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

I am with Bob S. on this one, sniff and inspect before eating.
    Doug Allison

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

And it's not even winter yet!

Curt

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Spam will last for 65 years WITHOUT the can.

HM

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I ate a lot of C rations from WW2 in the Marine Corp and was mighty glad to get them. They were over 20 years old at that time. However the wife and I go through our canned foods once a year and throw out anything outdated

16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Back in the 80's base supply was replacing some c rations that were from wwII and giving away the old ones. The old ones were better. LOL One thing I remember was that if you got a ciniman roll with your pack, do not, I repeat do not eat the nuts on it as it was sure to give you diarrea. LOL Not long before I retired I ran the communications facility for the USCINCRED at Macdill AFB and my unit was put on 12 on 12 off shifts(this happened too often) and we had a choice of box lunches or c rations. I always took the box lunches. Jackie B.

17. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I see people eating out of dumpsters all the time!!!.......they are kind of like a can.

tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.