1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Stock market big decline today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by snapthecat, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Over a 300 point drop today--spin doctors have already turned it around to read"Market drop attributed to bank worries". YEAH, RIGHT . It's worries, alright but not about banks. Can NO ONE tell the truth in print or on TV anymore???????

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

snap....and what did we expect for the mainstream media?

The money people weren't amused by the Big O's speech.....all rhetoric and no substance....

All those people that stood out in the weather and got cold...well, when the change reality hits 'em...they're gonna be hot!!

Curt

3. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

The stock market has been collapsing every since it became apparent that Hussein Obama was going to win the election. I keep putting money in but it never gains in value. It is like sinking money in a hole.

4. waterhouselake

waterhouselake TS Member

Gold closed at $856 an ounce. More than double by years end???

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Will that be the time to sell?

6. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

waterhouse . . . seriously, do you think gold is still a good investment? I am not trolling, just looking for your honest opinion about investing in gold for the gains it could produce or just a safe place to put some money. I am not sure banks are safe anymore. What does $100K or $250K federally insured accounts mean if our paper money is worthless? John E.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Our present currency will fold at some point unless things get better fast

8. waterhouselake

waterhouselake TS Member

Luvs2shoot......I am no expert. I believe one needs diversification in their asset allocation. It is similar to having more sources of income. The more sources one has the better off one is. Holding some gold or silver wouldn't hurt. The negative is, that it draws no interest or dividend income and there is a premium or commission to figure in the equation. I have seen a couple articles speculating that gold will hit $2000 an ounce at years end. Will that happen? I don't know. I do know that cash is the worst asset one can possess because it loses purchasing power over time. On the flip side, inflated money pays off debt easier. Some are actually predicting 10-15% inflation in the next couple years. Real estate is still probably the best investment over time. Stocks with real assets are attractive to me. At present I like RR's, oil companies, some mining companies. The latter are stocks that deal in commodities that should be a good inflation hedge. Look no further than ammo prices. Lead and brass are commodities. That greenback is good only as long as someone is willing to accept it. Worst case scenario, what do you possess that you could barter with? Will we get to that point? I don't know. But it wouldn't hurt to be prepared to some degree.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Two thousand dollar an ounce gold is on the horizon. HMB

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

60 private jets flew in for the ceremony today. SOME people with money have high expectations....or favors owed.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Perhaps, the market didn't take kindly to the big "O" taking offce.

12. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Wonder if those 60 private jets were green and non polluting as "The One" preaches about...Bill

13. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

The party may be about over for the traders and bankers on Wall Street.

Bocephas

14. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Good Advice and booyah to you waterhouse. Any thoughts on preferred stocks heavily invested in commercial real estate like Duke Realty L, M, or O? They pay a sizeable dividend and are callable at $25.00 currently trading around $11 to $12 per share. John E.

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Stay away from REIT's.....

Commodities are worth looking at. Be careful. Last year, actually Sept. '07, I bought into oil at $80.00 per barrel, had to hold for 6 months....kept it until May '08 and sold at $132.00 per. But you now see it selling below $41.00, it's a gamble.

Gold is always good. May not be the best money maker, but it's fairly stable and with inflation looming close by, it's a good bet.

Curt

16. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

To anyone thinking of investing in GOLD. Buy from reputable dealers and take delivery for keeping in YOUR local bank safe deposit box. ( Remember Madoff ? )
    Buy US gold coins in 2-1/2, 5, 10 & 20 dollar denominations. I would strongly advise buying a lot of US Silver coins. Think of this!! If the dollar goes completely to hell, how are you going to buy necessary items. A silver quarter or half dollar may work , but how will you get change back from a 10 dollar gold coin when buying 5 gallons of gas? ( just my 2 cents on the subject ) Larry

17. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The market is up this morning. 10:00AM +125

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.