1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: Steel Toe Work Boots

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Well, I am finally convinced of getting some steel toe work boots. It didn't take long to think this out today after dropping 50 pounds of steel on my toes. Ended up with an ER visit and some broke toes. I have bad feet and stand on concrete most of the day. What is the most comfortable out there?

2. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Steel toe tennis shoes from Walmart. They don't last long but are cheap and comfortable.

3. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Wolverine or Red Wing

4. 391 SL

391 SL Member

Redwing. Be sure to buy the ones that are USA made, they hold up better. Spend a few extra bucks on their insoles they make a huge comfort difference on concrete & long days on your feet.

5. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Ditto 391SL

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Georgia Boots are light weight and have a one year warranty but you must have the original receipt for repairs or replacement. They will usually last two years and cost around $80.00 to $150.00. Jackie B.

7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender TS Member

Redwings for sure.I have been wearing the same pair for over 5 years.Soles are starting to lose the treads.Recommend a urethane cap over the toes to keep the toes in good shape.

8. musky

musky TS Member

I have been in construction 25 years and i have wore them all. I have found that carhart boots which are made by redwing in the us to carhart standards has lasted way longer,more comfortable,and lighter in weight.They run about $160.00 and well worth it. Larry

9. BryanF

BryanF Active Member

For me, Redwing boots are the best. Make sure to get the two piece, steel toe and steel shank. If you crush the steel toe, you can cut the leather and get your foot out. One piece and you need to cut the toe from the shank. I have a pair that is over 40 years old and another pair that is only 30 years old.

Bryan

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

What 391sl said buy the ones made in USA. Ross Puls

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

What size do you take? I have some good boots that were issued to me in the Seabees steel toe. I may be able to help you out.. Dave

12. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Georgia boots for me.

13. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Redwing s

14. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I don't know what you call bad feet, but I have hurt feet from playing sports (rugby, basketball, tennis, and baseball), as well as having froze them after going through the ice on a frozen pond as a kid, and having to get home in the snow when I was soaking wet head to toe. I was required to wear steel toes for years, but never did, after getting a medical exemption.

If you have any sort of circulation problem in your feet, steel toed boots will feel like you have your feet in the refrigerator. You can get composite toes for the same price, they are equally strong, and they don't hold cold or heat like steel. If you have flat feet, bunions, or anything like that, your best bet may be to find a good boot maker, have them check out your feet, and make boots to alleviate your problems. A lot of the problems people have with their feet are due to poor fitting footwear. When I had my boots built, the bootmaker told me that over 50% of the people they make boots for don't know their real shoe size. They get something that doesn't pinch, or flop about, and think they have a fit, but are usually at least one full size off their actual fitting size. You may be lucky, and find a proper fitting boot, but that is like hoping you find a perfect fitting gun right off the rack. It MAY happen, but don't hold your breath.

After spending my career on vibrating steel decks, my feet hurt, my knees were agonising, and I had long term back issues. After having my boots built for my feet, I slowly began to recover. My feet only hurt now if they get really cold, my knees only when there is a drastic weather change, and my back is screwed up still, but two out of three most of the time is better than constant pain all over.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

15. Mapper

Mapper Member

Chippawa, Red Wing Irish Setter, Wolverine. As above, get the American made ones.
    And yes steel toes are cold.

16. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I wore Red Wings for 25 years, then found a local dealer that sold USA made Carolinas. They fit me better, last longer, and about $30.00 cheaper. JMO

Like most boot companys nowadays they make some here, and some overseas. Look at some Carolinas with the American flag on them.

Wayne

17. DONNE

DONNE Member

The ones I've worn for the last few years that don't hurt my feet or wear out socks were the Wolverine Composite toe Carbon MAX. They are electrical hazard rated too. Steel is terrible , but they're better than smashed toes! Whatever you decide to buy , do some research on the internet as the prices vary.

18. mark54

mark54 Member

I will 2nd the Danners.

mark54 in Lititz

19. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

I've worn steel toe boots for 33 yrs. at my job & have tried just about all except Redwings. In my opinion there is none better than Wolverine Multishox.

They are very light & comfortable ALL day long. I buy mine from Sportman's Guide. You can usually get a better deal from SG than anywhere else.

i_shoot

20. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

They ain't cheap but look up White Boot co. in Spokane, i beleive. I have very hard to fit feet and they will even custom build you some safety toe boots. I wore mine daily and got about 3 years before needing resoled. Had to send them to White for resole (rebuild). Expensive initially but a good investment in the long run. Good luck with it.

Bob W

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

medical exemption from steel toe boots