1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Spray On Bed Liners

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skip, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Member

Can anyone comment on Spray On Bed Liners?

Line-X treatment is $450.00

Thanks

2. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I had a motorcycle trailer coated because it sits outside. I did it 3 years ago best thing I could have done sealed and water proof never have to do anythig but wash it now and then tuff stuff right up there with velcro and sliced bread.

3. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

Have a Line-X and am very happy with it although Rhino seems a little thicker. I think they are great it you are using your truck bed for normal "Gentleman Jim" tasks like hauling brush, picking up stuff at Home Depot and moving kids bad and forth to college. If you are planning on regularly loading items that are on pallets or heavy things that need to be slid to the bed, a spray in liner might give you problems. Had mine tear twice: both due to pallets being loaded. Nice thing is they can be repaired. Bad thing is it costs money.

4. TC

TC TS Member

Skip, I have had a Rhino since 2001, very satisfied. Whatever you do, make sure you go with someone who has been doing them for several years. There is a learning curve. A neighbor had a one done by a new guy and didn't turn out so good. Lots of runs and overspray. Tony

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have one and like it--

Gene

6. shootime

shootime TS Member

I had Rhino lining put on my 2001 F-350 and love it,no-slip and nothing penetrates it. Would do it again.

Shootime

7. smartass

smartass TS Member

One of the finest inventions ever. Once you go away from slide ins you won't go back. I'm on my third truck with a spay in and love them. Mine is warrantied for life, so if I manage to damage (not an easy task) it I just take it in for free repairs.

8. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

Another happy Rhino Lining customer. Nothing slides around, and I haven't been able to tear it yet. On my 5th year.
    Dan

9. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

My hubby really likes his Line-X....but as a post said above, go to someone who KNOWS what they are doing. Makes all the difference.

Lorna

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

My ex-wife tried that on our bed one time, but we kept sliding out of it.

Just to slick! lol

Hauxfan!

11. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I have a Rhino spray-in bed liner on my 3010 Mule. Very nice job!

12. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Go with the Rhino. It has been the bst I have seen in my area. As some have said above, find the right person to do the job. You car is only as good as the people who work on it. Also, do you take your trap gun to anyone for repairs?

13. alpine

alpine TS Member

As stated above the Rinho is warrantied for life. I would not used anything else.

14. dward

dward Member

I used to own a few body shops and in looking to add diversity to the business we added spray in bed liners. I researched all the franchises and talked to the chemical companies that make the materials. In the end since 90% of our business was with dealers, that sold it as part of their new truck package, we created our own brand and the material we used was similar to Linex. The dealers chose ours over Rhino as it had a better appearance and it was harder. If I had to choose I'd pick the Linex for those reasons. It has a tighter and more consistent grit than the Rhino. Rhino is softer and has a bit more of a cottage cheese type appearance. We used to offer color to match bedliners that we would actually paint to match the color of the truck for an extra 150. Any bedliner you buy will fade unless it has UV protection. For the black liners we sprayed them with clear coat and for the color to match we painted them to match the truck with the exact paint that was on the truck.

We had a few bad rhinos come to us where the owners paid us to remove the existing liner and then install ours. So I'd check references and also ask if they do any dealer work. The dealers typically only use the quality installers. Being softer the rhino will keep things from sliding around more than the Linex, but in my opinion the Linex is better looking and less prone to gouges. It takes good prep work - sanding the bed and then wiping out with solvent to make sure there is good adhesion. If the liner starts to peel up the prep work was bad. Again a bedliner job is like a paint job, there are good ones and bad ones. If you get a good installer you'll be satisfied with what ever you get.

My 2 cents - Big Dan

15. frozen

frozen TS Member

I have a rhino lining in my truck. Love it and never had a problem. The good installers will give you references to call. The shop that sprayed mine in did a great job, but they were having to do a lot of repair work on another shop that did bad jobs on other vehicles. Buyer beware.

16. curly1946

curly1946 TS Member

I had rhino on one truck, to thin, didn;t like . Next truck got a line-x, it's great been on 7 yrs. couldn;t be happier. Life time warr.

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

What x73 said. If your tossing in firewood, brick or engine blocks spray paint don't offer much protection. If you really don't work your truck spray is ok.

18. skip

skip Member

Ok on all.

Thanks for all the information everyone. Probably go with the Line-X system.

Good information ...........

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Has anyone here used Herculiner, which is a do-it-yourself bedliner? I'd like to do the bed of an old Jeep trailer, but having a shop do it is excessively expensive compared to the value of the trailer.

20. dward

dward Member

The equipment used to apply a spray on bedliner is high pressure and high temperature. There are two parts that are pumped at high temp and pressure and only meet at the nozzle as they are sprayed on. To achieve the gritty texture the applicator holds the gun farther away from the surface on the last coat which allows the material to set up a bit more before it hits the surface. The Linex type material sets up faster and that is why you get a finer texture on the Linex versus Rhino. The Rhino material takes longer to set up and thus the coarser texture.

I have described the process to give a sense of how complex the process is. When we used to spray on the liners if one of the lines plugged or even hiccupped the material would not be right and would bubble or peel.

So in short, the do it yourself liners are nothing like the spray ons and in my opinion are worst than nothing if you care about the way your truck will look. If all you want is protection they do offer some but they cannot be applied as thick due to the longer cure time.

Big Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.