1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Snow Blower Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by trim tab, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Son-In-Law is looking to buy a new Snow Blower. Lives in Coloreado and has pretty good size driveway and walk area. Some people have recommended a Arien blower. Just looking for some input from individuals who have purchased them.

Thanks

2. windyflat

windyflat Member

I bought an ariens pro track 28" 11.5 horse last year and it's the best blower I've ever owned. Super easy to turn just pick up a little on the handle and it spins right around. awesome machine
    http://www.ariens.com/products_snow/s_protrack_group/s_protrack_28/Pages/default.aspx

3. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Is the Track set up the way to go over tires?

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Sorry, I thought that this thread was about an Eskimo prostitute.

ss

5. vdt

vdt Active Member

i have green,nothing runs like a deer

6. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I have a Honda and it's really good.

4 stroke 7 horse. Handles deep Minnesota snow with no problem.

7. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I have a Simplicity which I swear must be built at the same factory and the Aeriens, they are built and look so much alike.

8. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Ariens is a good machine, easy to fix and excellent parts support. The build quality is mediocre, every one I've ever seen has had a loose or cross-threaded fitting or is improperly assembled in some way. If you buy one, check everything carefully.

The best machine out there is Toro. Just check out their snow chute mechanism - there is no comparison. They also have good parts support. They do cost about 50% more than a comparable Ariens however.

The Deeres look good, but I haven't used one. The remote control powered chute direction control is pretty cool, don't know how it works.

Cub Cadet looked cheap. The chute mechanism blows. Can't believe they'd put such a crummy mechanism on a premium machine.

I'd stay away from any MTD, crapsman or troy built. Crap from the start and there is minimal long term support for parts.

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

If you want reliable long-term performance, watch out for the fakes built by MTD. They bought out name brands and slapped those names on their own junk. Any equipment sold under Troy-Bilt, Bolens, Cub Cadet, Yard-Man, Yard Machines, or White Outdoor is just MTD in disguise. Some are better than others and I'm not saying that MTD is always bad, I'm just pointing out that the great equipment traditionally associated with time-honored names like Troy-Built, Bolens or Cub Cadet simply no longer exists.

My Ariens has served me very well for five years. It has moved tons of snow with zero problems. I have never used the electric start because it starts on the first pull, whether the temp is 30 degrees or 20 below zero (Tecumseh engine). As an engineer, I am impressed with this machine's thoughtful yet simple design, old-school ruggedness, and unfailing reliability. It cost me a little more, but boy was it worth it.

I've heard very good things about Toro, but have not owned one.

-Gary

10. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I bought a Husqvarna 9/24 last year with hydrostatic Trans......best machine I have ever used! 3"-5" of Global warming forecast for the Boston area tomorrow night!!!!

11. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

My Ariens is a 1972 that I inherited from my wife's grandfather!!!!!!

Spend a few extra $$ and you will never regret it.

SW

12. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

I have had the same Honda track drive since 1988 with no prolbems.

13. DJM

DJM Member

5.5 HP Honda has ran well since the 1980's. Quiet, smooth, rope starts easily and throws the snow to 25'.

14. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I had an old Ariens, looked at the new plastic ones......

15. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

It snowed in houston friday, maybe Aggie needs to get one.

Bob

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Here's a question for all of you. Will any of these work on a gravel driveway or do you have spend most of your time replacing "shearpins"? When I was researching them last year the Sears review page was filled with people complaining about them "not being sold with extra shear pins" and "one piece of gravel and, Ping! another shear pin". Is this true? Do any models get along with gravel driveways other than the old "Flapper" types like the Toro 200s? Thanks for any response.

17. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

I have a Ariens from the mid 70's works GREAT starts good very little has gone wrong with it over the yrs ... But with the Chicago winters I might think about a new one next yr......Chuck

18. B V

B V TS Member

I purchased a Honda 928 (9HP 28")10 years ago and have been very happy with it.

Hydrostatic drive and quiet enough to hear my neighbor's machines over the sound of mine while I am using it.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a Toro and it's very good. Ariens is also good, They are built about 30 miles from here by a fairly decent work force.

I do not know about new models or plastic parts, etc. the electric start Tecumseh engine models are great.

If I had to do it over I would get a wider one. Sidewalks here are 60 inches wide and my 24 inch blower needs 3 passes to get it all.

This puts me at the other end when finished. A minor itch, but a 30 inch machine would put me back at the driveway when I got done.

I wish that was the worst of my problems, LOL.

20. ORG

ORG Member

Doesn't matter how long a driveway you have, it's how far you have to move the snow off to the side. You buy a snowblower engine based on the length of the throw. Get a two stage. The tracks are nice, but spendy. Tires with chains will also do the job. If you are working over gravel, make sure there are adjustments on each side of the unit to give it at least a 1/2 inch clearance. You can make your own shearpins. Just take a regular bolt and cut about half way through it and you are in business. No one has mentioned Snapper, which I have have for 20 years. Replaced three shear pins and nothing else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.