1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T SNOPES, The real story!!!!!!~!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Thought you would find this as interesting as I did. Hope you didn't form a lot of opinions by what you found on snopes. Didn't see where anyone else had posted this so here it is. Jackie B.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Mikkelson

For the past few years www.snopes.com <http://www.snopes.com> has positioned itself, or
    others have labeled it, as the 'tell all final word' on any comment, claim and
    Email.
    But for several years people tried to find out who exactly was
    behind snopes.com. Only recently did Wikipedia get to the bottom of it - kinda
    makes you wonder what they were hiding. Well, finally we know. It is run
    by a husband and wife team - that's right, no big office of investigators
    and researchers, no team of lawyers. It's just a mom-and-pop
    operation that began as a hobby.

David and Barbara Mikkelson in the San Fernando Valley of California
    started the website about 13 years ago - and they have no formal background
    or experience in investigative research. After a few years it gained
    popularity believing it to be unbiased and neutral, but over the
    past couple of years people started asking questions who was behind it and did
    they have a selfish motivation? The reason for the questions - or skepticism
    - is a result of snopes.com claiming to have the bottom line facts to
    certain questions or issue when in fact they have been proven wrong. Also,
    there were criticisms the Mikkelsons were not really investigating and getting to
    the 'true' bottom of various issues. I can personally vouch for that complaint.

A few months ago, when my State Farm agent Bud Gregg in Mandeville
    hoisted a political sign referencing Barack Obama and made a big splash across
    the internet, 'supposedly' the Mikkelson's claim to have researched
    this issue before posting their findings on snopes.com. In their statement
    they claimed the corporate office of State Farm pressured Gregg into
    taking down the sign, when in fact nothing of the sort 'ever' took place.

I personally contacted David Mikkelson (and he replied back to me)
    thinking he would want to get to the bottomof this and I gave him Bud Gregg's
    contact phone numbers - and Bud was going to give him phone numbers to the
    big exec's at State Farm in Illinois who would have been willing to
    speak with him about it. He never called Bud. In fact, I learned from
    Bud Gregg no one from snopes.com ever contacted anyone with State Farm. Yet,
    snopes.com issued a statement as the 'final factual word' on the issue as if
    they did all their homework and got to the bottom of things - not!

Then it has been learned the Mikkelson's are jewish - very
    Democratic (party) and extremely liberal (emphasis added).

As we all now know from this
    presidential election, liberals have a purpose agenda to discredit anything that
    appears to be conservative. There has been much criticism lately over the
    internet with people pointing out the Mikkelson's liberalism revealing itself
    in their website findings. Gee, what a shock?

So, I say this now to everyone who goes to www.snopes.com to get
    what they think to be the bottom line facts...'proceed with caution (emphasis added)..

Take what it says at face value and nothing more. Use it only to lead you to their references where you can link to and read the sources for yourself. Plus, you can always google a subject and do the research yourself. It now seems apparent that's all the Mikkelson's do. After all, I can personally vouch from my own experience for their 'not' fully looking into things.

2. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Boy,doesn't that figure - very liberal dems behind it! No wonder somw of their facts are slanted!!!

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Well, we know Neil Winston accepted it as the Stone Tablet from Mt. Sinai...so that should have told you right there.

Bottom line, in the Age of the Internet: take _everything_ you see on a computer (or anywhere else) with a grain of salt. Not all information sources have equal reliability, and everyone, everyone, has an "angle." Develop your own critical capacities, sifting and sorting, applying and constantly improving your own judgement, and don't blindly follow anything, or anyone.

But then again...was it ever not so? People raised in the Age of Cronkhite had a childish belief in institutions and authorities (a sort of epistemological "Fairy Tale Era," if you will). If the Age of the Internet finally succeeds in teaching people, perhaps the hard way, that every entity is composed of individuals, and individuals can always be questioned...then maybe we have accomplished something after all.

Cronkhite is Dead. And if he was "alive" - could you really believe him?

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

sigh...

"We have killed him - you and I. All of us are his murderers. But how did we do this? How could we drink up the sea? Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the entire horizon? What were we doing when we unchained this earth from its sun...Do we hear nothing as yet of the noise of the gravediggers who are burying God? Do we smell nothing as yet of the divine decomposition? Gods, too, decompose. God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves?"

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Sift through carefully you hear or read and believe only half of whats seen works pretty good. Hap

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

My grandma said, "Believe 70% of what you hear, and 90% of what you see."

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering, what does the fact that the Mikkelson's are Jewish have to do with anything?

8. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

I won't believe any of this until I read it on Snopes. Wait a minute......

9. willing

willing Member

Buz If Walter is dead maybe it's because you couldn't spell his name.

Bill

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

Sorry Bill...girl I work with has that name & spells it the other way...

11. bocephus

bocephus Member

According to snopes this isn't true....

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

good one bo...

13. laura!

laura! Member

You do realize that Wikipedia is not a very reliable site and is full of inaccuracies and lies. Most high school students, including my kids, have been told by their schools that it will not be accepted as a source for any research. Snopes may be biased politically, but they list their sources which are easily verified if anyone cares to dig that deep.

14. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Laura you are dead on. . . Wikipedia is a joke, one can go on there an write any crap they want. . .

I am not saying Snopes is better, but Wikipedia is by no means an authoritative source on anything.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Snopes even admits they are not the final answer on issues. Refer to their Mister Ed was a Zebra story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.