1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Small engine troubleshooting question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ohio Bob, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

I have a 1996 Yamaha Kodiak w/ 850 miles on it. Has been running good all summer w/ no issues at all. There has always been a "pop" when it was shut off when put away after riding. I got it out yesterday to ride in the snow. Started easy, it always has, and it warmed up with no surprises. Now, when you try to throttle up, it dies off like it is being choked out. When you back off, it idles down and sounds great. Try to throttle back up, it pops and sputters like something out of time as it seems to choke out. I tried draining the carb for crap and I checked the plug and it looked OK, nothing wierd anyway. Fuel is fresh.

I need some suggestions.

Thanks,

OB

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Sounds like fuel starvation. Fuel filter, internal fuel hose collapse, fuel pump failure?

3. basselete

basselete TS Member

clean the carb jet

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Valve timing, if the cam chain tensioner failed and the chain jumped, not likely but should be checked.

Fuel starvation, remove float bowl and pour the fuel into a glass. If there is water there it will be separated on the bottom. should be a screen or filter of some sort before the needle and seat. work the float up and down and verify needle and seat operation.

Parts diagrams at the link.

HM

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Yep sounds like its starving for fuel. When its at idle, its getting enough fuel and acting fine. When you throttle up its starving for fuel likely from a clogged jet or fuel filter. If that turns out clean then next is spark. Since its an older model it could be the coil. Also check the plug wire and make sure it isn't shorting on the head or cylinder. That old of a bike could have a dry rotted plug wire. It also doesn't cost much to try a brand new spark plug. Sometimes plugs can look good by eye but be making a weak spark. Pull the plug and insert in the plug wire laying on the head. Shut the gas off and then crank the motor and see how good the spark looks.

"halfmile" above also brought up a good point with the valve timing.

6. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

The above is information is spot on, however, if a carb job doesn't fix the trick and you find you are still back firing and have any sort of issues keeping the battery charged, then looks towards the Regulator/Rectifier.

I just went through the exact same circumstance as you with a 500 Suzuki quad... that it was a dirty/gummed up carb, etc..

I started having minor power issues and then the thing started having little back fire(s) and then within a short time, the battery wouldn't keep a charge and the backfires were really bad with total loss of power.

Turned out to be a $119.00 (after market) Regulator/Rectifier, now the thing runs good again. I have a 1998 with 1050 miles.

7. avery53

avery53 Member

It might be worth giving it a dose of Seafoam before you tear into it. I've seen that stuff work wonders if it is carb related.

avery

8. hoot619

hoot619 Member

my ice auger was running bad used sea foam love it helped some. I had bought a

small 2 cycle generator elcheapo it called for mixed high test. I used some in

the auger--what a difference that octane makes. Runs better then brand new. That

reg gas ain't much good. Starts usually first pull now and very responsive to

throttle. Think I will try a tank full in 4-wheelers. Ken U

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Since it's a 4 wheeler you might pull the air box and have a look at the filter they will get full of mud sometimes.

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Another possibilty is the exhaust is carboned up. This will allow it to idle, but not accelerate. Does it have muffler baffle that is removeable/cleanable? Surely it has plenty of exits for the exhaust, but you never know. The popping during shut off is an over rich mixture being ignited by the red hot muffler. If you let it idle a bit to cool down it should pop less frequently. Good luck.

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Check the air filter and air intake passage ways to see if vermin made a residence in there.

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Was machine stored with a stabilizer in the fuel? If not, well...likely fuel system problems, i.e., a plugged primary jet? Fresh fuel now won't help if non-stabilized fuel was sitting around in the carb. Been there, done that, had egg on my face for doing that. Now am compulsive about using fuel stabilizers and then running four strokers out of fuel (turning tap to off and letting them run on carb gas 'till they quit) before putting them away for extended periods.

13. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Thanks guys,

It hasn't really been stored, just since it has gotten cold it hasn't been ridden that much, so when I mean fresh gas, I mean it's not old gas from setting around being stored. I also run some sta-bil all the time, just in case. I did check the air box, and found nothing unusual there too.

The exhaust is clear with nothing strange there either.

I'll check the plug and try to get a replacement too.

When we ran it all summer, the throttle response was not a issue, that's what's got me confused.

It starts really nice, just put the choke on and hit the button, it starts. No cranking, no problems. Let it warm a minute and it's off going. Not now.

I'll keep trying.

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

One way to prove it is a carb problem is to start it up and press the throttle and at the same time spray some starting fluid into the carb/air filter opening. If it revs quickly you will know that the main jet is partially blocked. At that point some are easier to drop the carb but quite a few can just drop the bowl and get to the main jet. Screw it out and clear. I keep a torch cleaning kit to use for this. Good luck and let us know what you found. Jackie B.

15. torqueman

torqueman Member

try to put the fuel valve on prime some of them are vacuum activated Good luck JOE

16. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

You say, I put new gas in it and it pops. Why not try all the easy possibilities first. Buy a gallon of new gas in container, go home,drain tank, start system to empty out float and lines,remove gas filter, check for water, replace add new fuel. Start if possible, if same problem go one step at a time.

17. Firewater

Firewater Member

after you take the carb off and clean it well with gunk carb cleaner,get all the alcohol resedue out clean all the little passages put back together and dump the old gas. Then buy new gas with no alcohol and use sta-bil. plus all the above. Mike

18. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I've got a '94 Kodiak and had a problem two years ago. the engine was doing exactly the same thing. You may not need to pull the carb to clean out the bowl. The problem I had was the gas shut-off valve has two brass stems sticking up into the fuel tank...on & reserve. Both of them rotted off and the pieces started plugging up the carb.

Remove the bowl. Remove the gas line going to the carb and blow air through the carb from the gas line side. Clean out the bowl and replace

Remove the fuel shut off. If any of the brass tubes are missing, you'll need to pull the tank to clean out the pieces.

19. 682LINY

682LINY Member

be carefull with high octane fuel in air cooled engines,,,non contact thermometer is a tool of the trade with air cooled these days,, hi octane tends to run hotter,, more so in some than others

20. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Thanks everyone for the help..

I wound up taking the carb off and apart to clean. Good new, it still runs.

I couldn't find anything, but the problem is gone. She's all back together, and has some new stainless steel parts to boot.

We'll see what happens when it gets cold again.

OB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1996 kodiak sputters when accelerating