1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Small engine repair advise.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chessney, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chessney

chessney TS Member

I have a problem with my 6hp Briggs n Stratton lawn mower. I push the purge and the engine will run for about 5 seconds then start to cut out. If I keep pushing the purge button, it will keep running...Any thoughts about this?...Ziggy

2. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Do you mean the fuel primer button? If thats what you mean the carburetor is cloged. Try and clean out the jets with a carb. cleaner spray.

3. Juno

Juno TS Member

When is the last time you cleaned the tank and changed gas? Try that and spray a little starting fluid in the carb. if you have any.

4. chessney

chessney TS Member

Straight, yea that's what I ment.The primer rubber thingy.Thanks.I was tinking it was a fuel issue. Ziggy

5. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Try cleaning your air filter and carburetor, its a fuel problem for sure. Gas engines have only two things to check. It's either fuel or spark. Yours is fuel. BRGII

6. 682b

682b Member

If your primer ball has a hole in it it will suck air. I have had outboards do it and it is a pain. They dont't cost much so if that is not it you won't be out but a buck or so. Good luck JIM

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You need to get rid of any stale (old) gas replace with new and get a new plug and filter for starters. If that doesn't cure the problem then take the model and serial number and get a carurator rebuild kit if your mechnically inclined and rebuild the carb that wil do it.

8. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

STRAIGHT 99 IS ON THE MONEY. MINE DID SAME THING. TOOK OFF THE BOWL AND CLEANED OUT JETS AND OTHER ORIFICES WITH JETSPRAY. THERE WAS ONE SMALL ORIFICE ON THE SIDE OF THE TUBE I HAD TO CLEAN OUT WITH A SAFETY PIN THEN SPRAY. IF
    IT RUNS GOOD AFTER THAT THEN CLOGS AGAIN YOU ARE LOOKIN AT CLEANING OUT YOUR GAS TANK AND/OR OR ADDING A SMALL INLINE FILTER IF THERE IS A HOSE FROM TANK TO CARB.

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Try a tank of premnium fuel - which typically has better detergents in it or a fuel injector cleaner.

Jay

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Make sure you clean the needle and seat too.

Mine did exactly the same thing, and cleaning the needle and seat took care of the problem.

11. chessney

chessney TS Member

I'm going to get a carb rebuild kit and a new plug. I just tried the carb cleaner and it didnt work....Ziggy

12. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Starting fluid?? Ether? dont use those.. if you use too much it will gauld your piston to you cylinder wall. To Dry......

13. Juno

Juno TS Member

What? Man, just go buy a new mower then. There are some things you just don't inquire about here. To many lights half lit.

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Yeah, some peopla are even redundant.

15. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

I'm with bigboy. It sounds like a bad primer bulb.

i_shoot

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

It is likely the floats needle valve that is stuck shut, I bet when you remove the bottom of the carb bowl, it is empty of gas.....

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rap the carb with the plastic handle of a good size scredriver, if you have a sticky float it might free up.

Lots of good suggestions here.

HM

18. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I have a different take. I'd be willing to bet that the fload bowl is filled with water. Hitting the prime button bypasses the fload system and shoots pure gas into the venturi. The machine runs until that gas is used up. The fix is simple.

1. drain the old tank and blow out the gas line. Nothing drastic, just blow in it with your mouth..Reinstall the gas line.

2. take the bowl off of the carb and empty it. See if there was water in it. If so, you are mostly done.

3. reistall the bowl.

4. add fresh gas mixed with Stabil

5. pull the starter a few times, push the prime bulb 7 or 8 times and pull the handle. It should start right up.

I go through this every couple of years with my chipper and or my generator. Condensation builds up and water gets through. Remember, the gas floats on the water so your pick up will suck water before it sucks gas.

19. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I meant float not fload.....fat arthritic fingers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.