1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T SLUG GUNS O/T

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BIGbill, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

Thinking about a new slug gun for deer season 2009, just got application for tags in the mail yesterday (courtesy of the Peoples Republic of Illinois). Snow is flying today, might as well think about deer hunting.

I have been using an 870 with a scope mounted to the mossberg slug barrel (they make it for 870), have been able to hit a paper plate at 50 yds. Needless to say I would like to get a little better accuracy from a rig.

Would like to stay below $2000, so some of the exotic setups are out of my price range.

Thanks
    Bill

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Have you tried different brands and types of slugs?

Not all slugs are created equal...usually different guns like different slugs!

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Get a H&R Slugster 12ga. bull barrel. Less then $200.00 and shoots like a rifle with good slugs. I use Winchester Sabot slugs. I sighted mine in at 2" low at 50yds. and its dead on at 100yds. 2" low at 150yds. and 6" low at 200yds. The gun has no sights so a good scope is required. This gun shoots like a $700.00 dollar rifle. Lightfield slugs shoot pretty awesome thru it as well. Slugs are a little pricey for the good ones. They run anywhere from $10.00 to $20.00 per 5.----Matt

4. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

I tried three different types of slugs, none were sabot, but same results.

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Do you have a rifled slug barrel? If you do the sabot loads will produce very good groups with your scoped 870. My friend shoots the ones with pistol bullets and said he killed a deer at 220 yards. I know the others will shoot near 2" groups with sandbags and scoped guns.

6. Robb

Robb Member

It's been a number of years but I sighted in an Remington 11.87 for a buddy. Rifled barrel with the cantilever scope mount. 4x glass I think. Maybe 3x9. Sabot slugs and it was amazing to a smooth bore punkin ball guy. 2-3'' at 100 easily.

7. james25889

james25889 Member

i would try another barrel i have a hastings rifled barrel on my 870 and i can get 3 shots to touch at 100 yds i am using active slugs

8. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I live in the southern tier of NYS and Chautauqua count is shotgun only I have a 1100 with a fr bbl with a 4x scope on it it works great for deer. I only have to drive 1 mile to be in the next county and be able to use a rifle though.

9. luckyshot

luckyshot TS Member

bigbill pm sent. tim

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Also if you are shooting the smooth bore deer barrel, the best slugs for that are the Winchester foster type. The sabots don't do well at all in smooth bore barrels. My 1100 with smooth bore will print 5" to 6" at 100 yds with the Winchester's. The Remington's are undersized and bounce around all over the place

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The H&R slug gun looks cool and feels good havent shot one

Find a used bolt action Mossberg slug gun- for $300= they will shoot better than a taghur or any other custom gun you will find- might need a 70 dollar trigger job but really you can do that trigger job yourself

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. luckyshot

luckyshot TS Member

i just offered one up to him [mossberg] Gene! tim

13. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Lyman sabot slugs you cast yourself with Fed. 12S3 wads will give you two and a half inch groups at fifty yards if you are capable of handling the recoil. This is, of course, out of a rifled barrel. I shoot these out of a Hastings rifled barrel on an 870. Lee key drive slugs will almost do as well. We're talking about fifteen cents a shot for stuff that will equal most of the fifteen dollars a five-pack for the commercial sabots.

How many of you know how to pronounce sabot? It is say boh, not say bot.

If you want more info, give me a pm and I'll send you my article per email

14. grntitan

Well i tried to tell you about the H&R. I can Shoot a three shot half dollar group at 100yds. all day long. Its $200.00 or less. If you want to waste your money on something like the plastic Mossberg for 3 bills and hit your paper plate then have at it. I doubt the slug barrels for your 870 can touch my 100 yd. groups and it will cost you more.

15. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

The Savage bolt action is probably the best slug gun outside of the full custom bolt acton like the Tarheel model. As suggested befor, the brand of amunition can sometimes make a big difference. My son has an 870 with the Mossberg rifled barrel and it will shoot very respectable 100 yard groups. One thing to remmember is the wind has a much greater effect on a shotgun slug than a rifle bullet. A tiny brezze will move a slug a good amount and would have little effect on a rifle bullet. Just not enough velocity...............Roger

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Someone has been smoking something for many years- if they think they can shoot a 1/2 group at 100 yards with a slug gun

Here is what was posted

Email:
    Date: Sun, Mar 29, 2009 - 08:25 PM ET
    Website Address:

Well i tried to tell you about the H&R. I can Shoot a three shot half dollar group at 100yds. all day long. Its $200.00 or less. If you want to waste your money on something like the plastic Mossberg for 3 bills and hit your paper plate then have at it. I doubt the slug barrels for your 870 can touch my 100 yd. groups and it will cost you more.

The only 1/2 inch group you will ever shoot with a slug gun is a one shot group

regards from Iowa

Gene

17. grntitan

Well Gene-- Guess you should smoke some too and then get some sand bags and shoot my bull barrel H&R. Number two i said half dollar size 3 shot group at 100 yds. Maybe your smoking something that makes you not be able to read. Whats that-- Feel stupid now? Probably not your from Iowa.

18. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I put a Hastings barrel on my grandfathers old 1100. I bought six brands of sabot slugs and shot them all.

The Federal 151XS and the Winchester XRS123 both shot very good. I can shoot inch to inch and a half groups at 100 yards with either. Some of the other brands were not as good IN MY GUN! As much as six to eight inch groups, tumbling bullets, etc.

Killed a 14 pointer at 190 yards two years ago. Double-lung ran 60 yards and died. My son shot a nice doe at 90 yards with it last year, she didn't go 40 yards.

I would like to try the new Federal P151XT1 it is supposed to fly even flatter at long distance.

No reason to spend $2,000 when you can buy a $400 barrel, a $200 scope and find which slug your gun likes best.

SW

19. grntitan

Thank you SW... excellent groups are possible with a slug gun. Sounds like you got a flat shoot'n setup. What did that 14 pointer score?

20. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I vote with with Gene. Three shots the size of a half dollar at 100 yards all day long is a bit much. A good many factory rifles will not do that......Roger