1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Sleep number bed

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mark59, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark59

mark59 Member

Looking to buy a new Mattress any pro's or con's on the sleep number bed or is there a better type out there Thank You Mark

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I bought one about 3 years ago, best money I ever spent on a mattress ... I did not get the pillow top because my wife has a bad back and she didn't want it to fluffy ... I had to replace the pump one time at a cost of $115, other than that no problems and you will love it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Bosco

Bosco TS Member

Best money I've ever spent on a bed. Independent settings for each side of the bed. Adjustments from 1 to 100. Soft or firm, it's up to you.
    100% satisfied.
    Mike Underwood

4. thunder

thunder Active Member

We tried a sleep number bed with their 90 day trail offer and didn't like it. We got a full refund and tried a foam bed. We love our foam beds, have one in our home for over 6 years (believe its a Progoda) . We recently added a Bed in the Box brand foam mattress in our motorhome and like it also, best bang for the buck and you get a 90 day trial with it also. I think we paid 599.00 for a queen in our motor-home.

Try them before you buy em, each do their own.

5. Argentina

Argentina TS Member

I too have to say the Sleep Number bed was money well spent.

Thought I was crazy to spend the amount of money that they wanted for the bed....but have to say that if my house burned down today, one of the first things I would buy again would be the Sleep Number bed.

Well worth the money and it lives up to its advertising.

6. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

We have had our sleep number bed for 5 years. The very best feature is the adjustable settings. Want more support, dial it up, want softer, dial it down.

Charlie

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I tried the foam mattress before I bought the Sleep Number bed, the problem I have is I cannot sleep on anything foam because it creates heat and I sweat like a stuck hog if I lay on it for more than 10 minutes ... My wife bought those pillows that are made by the same company that makes the foam matress's and I have never used the one she got for me other than when I tried it for about 10 minutes and there again I was sweating like I ran a marathon ... I use over stuffed feather pillows and Select Comfort mattress's and no more problem ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

We have had 2. The first was the original sleep number bed with the full chambers And we loved it. In a weak moment my wife talked me into the memory foam. I hated it she loved it. I finally convinced her to move up to a King size and we went back to the new style sleep number with partial foam and a thinner air chamber. I don't like it near as well as I did the older style but still IMHO way better than the memory foam.

--- Chip King ---

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I guess no one has any negitive comments on the hard sides all around or the divider in the center of the King Size??? I too would like to know !!! Break-em all. Jeff

10. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

We put a 3' memory foam pad over it to cover the edges of the center and have no regrets at all. Rooferbob

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We have had one for about 5 years and I would give it an A rating for comfort and a D rating for duability. We have replaced both air chambers and one pump. Those items were all covered by warrantee but it was a bit of a hassle tearing everything down and waiting for parts.

Can't say I know of a more comfortable matress system.

12. letts

letts TS Member

We slept two night in a motel that had sleep number. I never will have one in my home. We did not like it at all.

Letts

13. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

Best money you can spend on a matress. We have had one for over 10 years and have never had a bit of trouble. Our's is the king with the pillow top.
    Fred Wiedemann

14. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

We have had one for three years, King with the pillow top as well. Greatest sleep I have ever had coupled with a CPAP machine. I have my side set really firm and my wife medium.

B.Gibson

15. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Our early Sleep number bed lasted about 15 years. One of the air chambers leaked and I (foolishly) purchased a standard mattress to replace it. It lasted about 2 years. We bit the bullet about 4 years ago and got a newer style king Sleep Number bed an we love it! Pricey...yes. Worth every penny.

Bob and Jan Schultz

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

We like ours. I thought I'd like a firm feel but it turned out that my "sleep number" was only 35. nice and soft. Whoddathunkit? Nice to have options.

17. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

As to the foam in the middle, how do I put this discreetly, if your in the middle of the bed, set both sides to about 70 and you'll never notice it. If you're sleeping on "your side" you'll never notice the hard foam in the middle. The hard corners were a little weird at first, but when I get up, I raise the number to about 20 (w/o me on the bed). this makes it firm enough that the bed can be made up, and I never notice the corners any more. I like ours a lot and my wife loves it.

18. DoRaMa

DoRaMa Member

4170 N. Gun Powder Circle, Hastings NE 68901
    Hello Folks,

Well there is one in every crowd, and I'm it on this one.

I have a queen size with dual controls. The center divider crushes, the plastic support "things" under the air chamber were warped when we got it. (Looks like they were pulled from the mold hot.)

After 2 sleepless years I took the box & air chamber off the metal bed frame and set it on the floor. Better support and slept all night! This lasted about 4 nights. Just replaced the top foam pad, center divider and the out side foam support foam.

When you look at the bed, it looks like a worn out old mattress, worn / bowed down in the center.

I even added a 3 inch form pad on top to see if it would help. Still bows to the center.

As for customer support. They have been wonderful to work with.

But I still don’t sleep all night!

I have been told I need to go to a single air chamber mattress. Kind of kills the idea of, your side my side.

Kevin

19. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

I`ve had mine for at least 10 yrs. They were just called "Select Comfort" back then, and there`s no numbers on the "remotes."
    Mine`s a King , so there`s two individual mattresses.
    Haven`t had the first problem with it.
    The beauty of these is the ability to adjust firmness. I`ll never go back to a regular mattress.
    I built a nice frame for it out of Maple Ply, so the two mattresses are sitting on a good solid surface.
    Regards, Pete

20. Doubles Xpert

Doubles Xpert Member

The wife and I bought one about 7 years ago.. King size Double chambers Pillow top...If you like to snuggle DO not buy this bed!!! I'm a big guy and she's not so much.... but When we would try to snuggle I would roll down onto her soft side making it to firm for her and the Divider in the middle was just awful.. and the bed would only look good When the Air chambers were at 100.. We then bought the Tempur pedic WOW !!!! It's Absolutely fantastic... Slept right threw the night from the first night on... Only bad part about this bed is I don't want to go on vacation now, Cause I'll miss my bed Seriously!! We both love it.. It was the top of the line And wow it hurt when buying it but What's money for? My wife always hurt in the mornings but not now since we have this bed.. And you really can get up in the middle of the night and not wake your mate...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.