1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Shoulder injection

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by capvan, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Lots of pain in my shoulder. Doc wants to do a "shoulder flouro-guided injection". The "injection" word scares the hell out of me. They want to inject cortisone to stop the unbelievable pain. Also supposed to be a temporary fix.

Does ANYONE have any experience with this?

Thanks!!

Bruce

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Going through it right now. The shot did not work. I have arthritis in the right shoulder and I am going in to have the bone scraped the first week of June. Arthroscopic surgery. The arthritis created a small burr in the shoulder and everytime I move my shoulder the burr is rubbing on the rotator cuff and causing pain and damage. Have to have the arthritis scraped off and the bone cut a little. Bulge.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Both my rotator cuffs are torn and I have arthritis in the joints. I had some injections and the relief is indeed temporary but if you aren't really active and don't use your shoulder joints a lot, it can last from several months to a year. In 1994, I had my left shoulder repaired arthroscopically and that relief lasted for almost 15 years. I really should have it done again or endure the months of recovery from having the shoulder repaired "right" but at age 63, I'm just not up for that.

Ed

4. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Yes. I doubt I'll ever do it again. That "flouro-guided" crap, if it's the same thing I had, means they jab a needle with the dope and some dye in the joint, stand back and take some x-rays, then start twisting and turning the needle until they get it where they want it. Then more pics and more twisting. Takes a week or two to get over that pain, then the minimal relief only lasts a 6-8 weeks then you're right back where you started.

5. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Have had that too. Like the previous posters, it is only temporary not a long time fix. For me, I only have it done when the pain really becomes severe and limits flex and rotation till then, over the counter meds for me.

Van

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It really depends what is wrong- if it isnt bone on bone issues- it might give you enough antimflamatory action that some actual healing will go on

Regardless- it usually gives immediate relief if they mix a pain killer in- which nearly everyone does

it is an excruitiating deal though to feel the needle grind against a bone - whether or not there is a lot of pain- just something about that

But it might work- I dont think there is a down side (except the normal danger of infection - or reaction to the injection- etc)

Its not like an operation

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

Thanks everyone. My biggest problem is the pain at night. I'm not limited in what I do, but wakeing up every couple of hours all night is not fun. I get up, move around for 1/2 an hour, and then another couple of hours of sleep. Meds do no good at all, unless I take way more than I'm supposed to.

MRI said severe arthritis, nothing that surgery will cure.

At 63, I just can't see the rest of my life in pain...

Thanks again.

Bruce

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I've had lots of them (shots) in verious joints. Have had no luck with any of them!

The shots were more painful then the pain they were intended to releive!

Celbrex worked for about 2 years, until I had a reaction to it.

Now I am on Ibprofen(2400 mg) ONLY when I need it! Really tears up the liver!

Bruce, I am only 55 and have been dealing with pain for 10 years now. My doc prescribed the Ibprofen (800 mg) 3 per day as needed. On my bad day's I take one with food about a hour before iI go to bed, it helps.

good luck

9. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

Haven't had the injection, but did go through arthroscopic shoulder surgery some 5 years ago when I was 50. Best thing I've done. Prior to surgery, I'd wake myself up and my wife when I yelled in pain as I turned over. Most painful thing of the surgery was removing the tape over the gauze bandages, lol. I hope not to do it again, but if the problem recurs, I won't wait as long as I did the first time. YMMV, of course. Hope you feel better soon, regardless of what you choose.

10. twotimer

twotimer Member

I had the same problem that bulge did. Had it scoped in Oct four years ago. Went sail fishing in Costa Rica 3 months later. Still totally 100 % today. Glad I did it. Mike

11. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I had many shots in my right shoulder, relief only lasted about two weeks. Finally had the torn rotator cuff repaired last October. Tear was so large the surgeon had to cut my shoulder wide open to repair the cuff and clean out the joint. Have been back to shooting trap for a month and a half and my shoulder feels great. Bill

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Get another opinion on surgey wont help arthritis in the shoulder joint- that just doesnt seem right- in that area-

Get a second and third if needed opinion on that- pay for it out of your own pocket if you need to

regards from Iowa

Gene

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Had one eight years ago a few months before shoulder surgery. It worked quite well. It took the pain and I had a great range of motion. They just don't always last more than several months.

14. cpd544

cpd544 Member

I had that done once for a torn shoulder and I will never have it done again. The pain of the injection was horrible and the relief only lasted about one week.

15. dcan67

dcan67 TS Member

I have messed up my shoulders very badly.
    The only thing that I have found to work is a bow modern cam bow.
    I started with a 25lbs and have worked up to 44lbs I just shoot in the basement at 30 feet and started with 5 arrows a day. In 2 years up to 100 arrows through the day and I know have much better shoulders and can sleep through the night.
    I had eye surgery and laid off for 6 months shoulder pain all came back. Restarted shooting 2 months ago and pain is going away again.
    Try it start really slow and yes it hurts but keep at it.
    Don

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Let the doc do it. Written into the protocols is a progression of procedures designed to utilize the cheapest ways, at the start of your treatment, to "fix the problem." Doc will also recommend physical therapy. The steroidal injections are administered to lessen the inflammation, and they usually help, knowing the effect is temporary. Once the pain is lessened you will start physical therapy to strengthen the muscles around the affected joint.

Physical therapy is your friend. Conditioning those muscles and connecting tissue may just cure you if you don't have a persistent or progressive bone disease like osteoarthritis or similar maladies.

If you do though, and you're young and healthy enough, and none of the fore mentioned treatments and therapies worked, your heading for some surgery. Don't blame the doc for using all these preemptive procedures, he/she has to get to the point where your insurance will agree to pay for the surgery.

I've had 5 total joint replacements and I can tell you that I wouldn't still be walking let alone shooting without the orthopedic replacements. It's a wonderful world of orthopedic medicine today and they are ever improving prothesis' and procedures. I wish you much luck on your journey to wellness.

17. capvan

capvan Active Member

Doc did say it was osteoarthritis and was "non-operable". Said PT wouldn't likely help. Said I was too young (63) for a total shoulder.

I have the same problem in my right shoulder, but less.

Didn't think I'd be spending my "golden" years in this much pain. Pretty depressing. Nights are a bummer, up every few hours.

18. oletymer

oletymer Member

It all depends on you. I had the injections in both shouders 15 years ago and it cured me. I have not had a problem since. It did not work on my thunbs though. The injections were done by a sports doctor. He used a scope and you could watch the needle. He never hit bone and the shots were painless. Try one of these guys and not a GP.

19. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I had a cortisone shot in my left knee 30 years and it took away the swelling and pain permanently. Don't really know what the problem was that caused the inflamation, but it did hurt like hell when they did it.

20. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

EE must have had a rare case. It takes like 5 mins tops. The Contrast guarantees that the needle is in the joint. That is where you want the medicine to go. Your doc must have been a newbie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.