1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Should I buy a van with 300.000 miles ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stickbird, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stickbird

stickbird TS Member

I was on the way back from the gun club yesterday and stoped at walmart and noticed a 98 dodge van for sale next to me for 1.800 when the person came to leave it was someone I knew that was selling it for a lady that used it for medical transport,she would drive patients to the hospital 5 hours drive one way and back several times a week and put 200.000 miles on it herself.
    I called the woman and she told me that it was in great condition and get's 22 miles a gallon replaced the transmission timeing belt battery tires ect.
    the only reason she was selling it is that it does have 300.000 miles on it.
    I drove it and liked it and was going to buy it this tuesday,I just wonder if anyone has any advice about buying used cars especially with high miles,I only drive locally to town and back.
    I wasn't looking to buy a car but this looks like a good deal I just wonder if I should pass on it and spend a little more and find a better car??
    thanks
    JIm

2. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Too many miles. I'd stay away from it myself. It's probably going to need suspension parts soon (ball joints, tie rods maybe steering etc), engine rebuld or replacement and all the little things (brake hoses, dash lights, various electrical stuff, alternator, battery etc etc etc... but just my opinion.....

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

If you have the knowlege and tools to replace and repair the upcoming needs of this vehicle. Go for it. If you have to have the repairs done at a repair shop; I'd leave it alone. 300,000 miles is a "ton" of miles for any vehicle unless it's a diesel. Ed

4. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Does the front end need any parts? May have replaced the tires because of bad front end parts which caused uneven wear.

Do the brakes need replacing? Pads and rotors good?

How is the heating and cooling system?

How is the air conditioning system?

How is the power steering? Quite and no leaks at connections?

How is the windshield? Any rock chips? Scratches?

Does it need any attention at this time?

How does it look? Good paint and no rust or body damage?

How are the seats and the seat covers. Interior condition?

Does under the hood look clean?

Does it look oily under the motor or transmission or drip any fluids?

Take it to a shop and let them look it over to be sure.

If all above are good it would probably be a fair deal, not good, as I think it is over priced for that mileage unless it is really in excellent condition. If anything needs attention then you need to adjust the price or find another vehicle.

Buy if thinking you will only be using (like renting) it for a year and then it is yours for free. Then when you sell it does not matter what you get for it, even if it is to a wrecking yard. Keep in mind you will also have to buy insurance to cover it. I would try to get it for $900.00 to $1200.00. As you said, it does have 300,000 miles on it. Now that is just my un educated opinion. Ray.......

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Way too much money for a vehicle with that much mileage. I'd avoid it like the plague.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You must be the kind of guy that uses recycled wads.

7. smartass

smartass TS Member

Why not buy a van with only 300 miles?

8. stickbird

stickbird TS Member

Thanks for everyones responces I took your advice and passed on the van,it just goes to show how little I know about used cars.
    I don't have much experience in shopping for used cars so does anyone want to give me some tips to look for?
    I went on autotrader.com and noticed that those are mostly car dealers are they the best place to buy? how about the owners that have them by the road?
    I am just looking for a dependable used car the make model year doesn't matter to me.
    as far as miles go what would be the range of mile on the car to stay away from?
    last how much do you think a dealer would come off the price paying cash?
    thanks for your answers
    Jim

9. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

your answer is smsnyder. i know whats next lol

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I gave away a 1983 Ford Club Wagon to the DAV last year that had over 330,000 miles on it. It was mechanically sound and the air conditioner still worked. However, it was really starting to rust out and my wife refused to follow too close behind as pieces of the body kept falling off. In Louisville, KY we had a required exhaust testing program and it passed each year with flying colors.

I had a small crack in the exhaust manifold near the heat riser. My mechanic was reluctant to replace the exhaust manifold for fear that everything else on the engine would go at once.

If you are willing to spend the bucks, you can probably keep anything rolling forever. If the body is rusty, forget it.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The opposing argument is you can do one heck of a lot of rebuilding and repairing for the difference in price between $1,800 and what a much newer one would cost. It might depend on what you'd want to use it for and how much nickel and dime fixing you'd put up with while owning it....breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

what i look for in a car on the side of the road is the biggest piece of junk i can find that still runs decent the pay maybe $500 for it put another $500 into it fixing it up and bam i have a $1000 car that runs fine, but thats doing all the labor at home.
    things to look for i think on a car is things like fluids leaking, whether it be engine oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid power steering fluid, as most of those can run you into a good bit a money. make sure there is no knocking or ticking in the engine when it runs, it could be something simpler like lifters or as complicated and expensive as a crankshaft going. if your still not sure have a mechanic go over it and see what he thinks, which is prolly your best bet since there are many more things that could be serious and wrong with your car that i didn't explain to many to ever list. oh and stay away from any car that burns oil!! unless you wanna fork out $1200 to have rings done i made that mistake once and i am adding a quart every couple hundred miles i could fix it but i really don't feel like pulling the engine outta the thing again i just had to find out it burned oil after i tore it apart man that ticked me off.

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

stickbird:

When dealing with a dealer, don't believe a word they say. Most are thieves and ho's. They make more money when you finance a car, since they usually get a kickback from the finance company. Just look and listen to the vehicle. It's best to start it when it's cold, so you can notice any strange noises. Drive it and see if there is any vibration, noise, shift issues, roughness, or anything you notice that is abnormal while it's warming up and after it reaches normal temps. TRY OUT THE AIR CONDITIONER, even if it's in the winter. That can get expensive. Try out ALL of the accessories, cruise control, Power Windows, Locks, etc. Look over the vehicle and check all of the fluids. Look for badly burned transmission fluid, gray engine oil, muddy or foamy looking coolant, etc. Look underneath and notice any signs of leakage from the engine and transmission areas on back. Look for leakage around the front wheels and torn axle boots on a front wheel drive. If it pulls to one side while driving or braking, it may have suspension or brake issues. It's worth having a good Technician look it over for you if you aren't much of a gearhead yourself. Even if he finds something, you might be able to bargain a little to compensate for the repairs that are required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.