1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/t shot size

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ricks1, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

got a question about shot size what size do most shoot and is uniformity a must or is a slight mix ok ricks1

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Either 7.5 or 8 size shot will work fine. Some of us get carried away about what size is best for a specific job, but it actually makes little difference. Also a shot bag marked #8 shot may contain a mixture of different sizes.

In factory shells, I have started to judge the overall attention to detail of the shell by the uniformity of the shot. If a company is not overly concerned about matching the size of the shot in the shells to the label on the box I have started to question the companies other concerns about the quality of the components in the shell and the overall quality of the shell.

Pat Ireland

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

As long as the pellets have enough energy to break the target when they reach it, more pellets are always better. Assuming your gun patterns them well, use 8s for everything except cold, damp or frozen bio targets in winter. Then go to 7 1/2s.

4. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Last night I was shooting some old skeet rounds on the local trap range. They were loaded with 9's. I actually saw the target deviate from its flight path after being hit - only the target didn't chip or break.

Mike

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

There's your answer.

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Several years ago, I had occaison to take apart a Winchester AA shell. While the shot contained therein wasn't my original concern, I immediately noticed that the shell contained very UNuniform sizes of shot.
    So, I got out the micrometer and measured 100 random shot. The results were eye-opening.
    The shell was marked as containing #8 shot. The shot I measured varied from #5 to about #11, with LESS THAN HALF the shot actually being #8 (which I considered as anything between .086" to .095"). The shot sizes, when charted, formed a classice bell-shaped curve (for you statisticians).

On a roll, I did the same with a Remington STS shell marked #8. The results were very similar, but the sizes of the 100 shot varied from #6 to about #10. Again, about half (a little over, in this case) acutally fell into the range that I would consider #8.

Then, I measured 100 shot from a 25lb bag of bulk shot. Same thing, with the uniformity falling between the Winchester and the Remington.

That experiment told me that worrying too much over 7 1/2 vs. 8 is probably a waster of time.

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

thanks for replys i thought i would ask before i made the statement that i took 4 shells apart and 3 had mixed sizes if i had put that up i would have been told i was stupid that is why i dont see the need to get to fussy with the home made stuff i do something that most may not do is roll mine down a slope and that gets 90 pc of the bad out of rounds out but the mix of 7 thru 8 1/2 i can not see a problem comments? ricks1

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

mercedesman1981, I've been using, for a good number of years, 7/8 oz of #9s for 16 yard and 1st shot in doubles as well as skeet and close in sporties and targets appear to hit a glass wall when I point at them. In fact I've run a number of 100s with the weenies from 16 yards. Unless you were shooting your skeet loads at 27 yards, I'll opine what you saw wasn't the fault of the shot size. And, I agree with others that because the bag says "9" doesn't mean you're loading with all #9s - even from any factory shells.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dave- The larger shot would have more drag but this is countered by the decrease in loss of energy by the heavier shot. Larger shot will reach the target sooner than lighter shot. The difference is speed retention by the heavier shot is not significant when shooting trap. In the chamber, the heavier shot would resists acceleration slightly more than the lighter shot possibly increasing deformation of the lighter shot.

Also, because the packing theory is negated in a load of shot due to the large edge effect, and when loading shells we strive for uniform shot charge weight by measuring volume, irregular weights could result from irregular shot size.

I can easily see the possibility that close attention to such details could result in breaking one additional bird for every 50,000 birds shot. This conclusion does assume the shot size variation does not range beyond 7.5 to 8.5. But, keeping your head down when shooting each bird surely has a greater influence than inertia conflict caused by different shot size.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.