1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Shooting and Hunting "Urban Legends"

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Savage99Stan, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

O/T Shooting and Hunting

We're all familiar with the old urban legends, i.e. the couple parked on the rural road listening to a newscast about an escaped murderer/rapist with the hook for a hand and then when taking the girl home the gentleman finds a hook attached to the girl's door handle. I thought it would be interesting to collect those "legends" related to shooting/hunting. Examples I've overheard include:

If you're hunting birds and have a chance at a deer, just cut the shell ahead of the powder, it'll act just like a slug.

Or, I'm gonna get me one of them new 17 HMRs, shoots flat to 300 yards. When asked what that meant, "no drop to 300".

Or, You heard about that new varmnit cartridge that soandso developed, inch groups at 600 yards.

Or, an Illinois special: The DNR released 50 cougar in the Shawnee Forest cause the insurance companies are pressuring them to cut down the deer population?.

Get the idea? Share what you've heard ( or made up). Might be a good topic for an article in one of the outdoor rags.

Stan Geisz

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

O/T Shooting and Hunting

My all time favorite is: "A more Open choke is gonna get you some extra broken targets".

3. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

O/T Shooting and Hunting

The cut shell does work. Comes out like 450gr 1200fps safety slug. Done it in my 870. It doesn't seem to hurt anything. Guns are proofed at 3x normal pressures. Try cutting shell about 1/2 way down and shooting pine boards at 30 ft. It puts a pretty big hole in (6) 1" boards. Still wouldn't shoot a deer with one. Picking 300 pellets out of an animal isn't my bag. Before all you "I knew a guy" guys type in: Remember, Mythbusters welded a plug into the barrel of an 870 and couldn't blow it up. I also had a few Peters Blue hulls delaminate at the brass and come flying out of the front of the gun(same thing) Now if you forgot to put powder in a shell and tried to fire another to clean it out, that would be bad(like 20/12 blowup)

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

O/T Shooting and Hunting

You can get a ticket for having cut or ringed shells while bird hunting.

5. Savage99Stan

O/T Shooting and Hunting

O.K. guys. I surrender. I hereby remove the ringed shell from the "legend" category. I know people have done it. I know people who have done it and whose guns have survived. Still don't think it is a bright thing to do. Expedient maybe, but not really smart. Sorry.

6. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

O/T Shooting and Hunting

Almost forgot to reply to the original question:

"You can carry a gun strapped to your hip, and as long is it is not concealed the cops can't say nothing" (try that when you have a couple of days off)

"My Buddy shot a deer with a .300 savage at 600yds"

They took on a lot of the more famous ones on Mythbusters:

Shoot lock off with 9mm
    Bullet under water
    Shoot sniper through scope
    Plugged 870 barrel with Bugs Bunny finger
    Catching bullet with teeth
    Shooting propane cyl
    Stop bullet with bullet
    Plug revolver by shooting into muzzle end
    Change trajectory with magnets
    Split arrow with arrow
    Shoot a hole in an airplane and it blows apart
    Bullet shot straight up comes down and kills

All of these were busted. Chime in if you remember more.

7. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

O/T Shooting and Hunting

Sorry, hard to read. Had a list and the website crunched them

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

O/T Shooting and Hunting

The wild Turkeys bred with the farmers turkeys that why some have white on them.

Drink a few jiggers of brany to help keep you warm in the deer blind.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

O/T Shooting and Hunting

Our archery league guys get the "Robin Hood" often enough that it's no miracle.

Thats the arrow splitting another arrow.

I don't know what mythbusters did, but they ain't archers.

HM

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

O/T Shooting and Hunting

Shootlow said I could use No.12 shot all the way back to the 27 yard line.

He said it would give me a really nice pattern and nothing could/would escape. ;)

Hauxfan!

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

O/T Shooting and Hunting

there was a blowhard that used to come into the gun shop I worked in bragging about shooting elk at 800 yds.....turned out he couldn't tell distance with a tape measure...closer to 200.....he was definately a "legend in his own mind"!!

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

O/T Shooting and Hunting

The sniper shooting another sniper through the scope is also true. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Don

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

O/T Shooting and Hunting

I had a guy once tell me he could hit a 2 liter pepsi jug every time at 100yrds. with his 870 field bird barrel and foster slugs off hand.

After about three years of hearing this story over beers at deer camp and biteing my tongue I put up a pie plate on a 4x4' sheet of plywood and we paced out 100YRds, at first he thought we took to big of steps cause it looks farther than 100yrds so I told him to take a few paces closer.

After about ten rounds he finaly caught a piece of the plywood. He said something must have happend to his barrel.

I normaly would have let this go but he kept giving me crap about the money I spent on the scope, rifled slug barrel and expensive sobot slugs I used for just deer hunting, said his field 870 would shoot just as good.

14. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

O/T Shooting and Hunting

If you are bird hunting in an area where it is legal to hunt deer with a shotgun and rifled slugs why not just carry a few in your pocket ??

15. Brad Metcalf

Brad Metcalf TS Member

O/T Shooting and Hunting

would you make the same bet for 80 minutes or how bout a 2oz shot glass every minute till I consume the required 80 oz's??

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

O/T Shooting and Hunting

Sportshot and others....if you try the 1oz/min of beer make sure you have a pail nearby.....

17. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

O/T Shooting and Hunting

In my state, VA, its legal to openly carry a holstered gun. Can't say if the cops will bother you or not but it is legal...Bill

18. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

O/T Shooting and Hunting

"I would bet anyone $5000 they couldn't if they would agree to my conditions. Nothing funny like stand on your head etc. We just sit at a table and I will serve you one shot glass (one ounce) of beer each minute for 60 minutes."

Man, that sounds too easy.

19. Savage99Stan

O/T Shooting and Hunting

Since you brought up one of my favorite shows, Mythbusters, how about the old story from the War Between the States where a soldier is shot through the testicles, the minie ball carries on to a nearby porch and hits a young maiden in the abdomen. She recovers but nine months later gives birth to a child...and here the story varies but she is still a virgin and that is that or the child clutches a minie ball in its hand as it is delivered. They referred to the impregnating material in that one as "dna sample".

20. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

O/T Shooting and Hunting

That's exactly what happened to my Mom, but it was a wrist rocket incident.

Tron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.