1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Shock/Training Collar for 20 lb Dog

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by yvonne, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I have a 20 lb Dog that loses concentration and will chase anything walking down the road. People, Animals and even Birds. I can yell, whistle, etc and nothing works to get him to stop. Do you have a good recommendation for a shock or training collar?

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Get a leash first and train him to obey you first before correction training.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Yvonne, do yourself and your lil doggie a favor by teaching him obedience first! That, before he finally catches up with a pit-bull on the road! Just this afternoon I was heel training my new puppie and a neighbors pit-bull jumped the fence to get to us! I busted him, "luckily", with an 80 MPH rock or two and he went home cyin. We were just lucky this time. Hap

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Yvonne, I would agree with all the posters before me, work with a leash and check cord. Shock collars, I can't see a reason to use one other than someone that doesn't have the patience or time to train a dog.

5. DONNE

DONNE Member

Yvonne ; I'll agree with some of the suggestions above concerning the check cords , however you have to understand how to use a "training collar" before attempting to use one. Dogs have to be "conditioned" to both. A collar is not the answer to solving all your dogs problems. In the right hands , it is a great traning tool. In the wrong hands , it is nothing but a torture device that has been misused by people expecting miracles and/or ruined many good dogs.. I work with pointers. Hard driving ones. They know when the collar goes on , its time to follow the rules. No trainer I know has to shocks his dog. We use the lowest level of "stimulation" necessary to get the results we want. That being said , Google Lion Country supply . Call them and talk to one of their reps , they're happy to help. Ask for the DVD that will explain the use of the collar. If you still want one , I'll suggest a Tri-Tronics. Worth every cent.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I used to think that shock collars were cannine torture devices and I refused to try one. But when used properly they are a great tool for training and communicating with your dog. I rarely need to apply the electrical 'stimulus' on my GSP but I use the tone feature quite often. The ability to get my dogs attention with the gentle tone has eliminated the need for a whistle or a loud voice that may frighten the dog. Once I have his attention I can direct the dog with simple hand signals. The thing that reassures me the most about the electronic collar is that Gus (my GSP) comes right up to me when its time to put the collar on and that little bob tail looks like a weed eater because he knows he's going to go have some fun in the field.

7. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

yvonne i have one. i used it to break a dog from eating anything he could get in his mouth.I retired from the dog training business 4 yrs ago and no longer have a need for it.If I can find it I will make you a good deal on it.One word of advice the dog will quickly learn the collar is what is causing the pain and will act accordingly. they will try anything to avoid having the collar put on their neck.The little dog I had in here turned into a biting little bastard.You might want to rethink the use of a E collar.

8. yvonne

Thank you all! I have NO patience...That's one of MY biggest problems. This dog will not listen when out on his own. Like another poster stated, he'll eat anything he finds outside. Cat shit, Rabbit shit, etc. He chases anything that moves. He barks when anyone walks by the house or pulls into the driveway, leaves the driveway, comes into the house (happy pees on everyone) - to the point he's coughing because he won't barking stop until they're out of sight. I'm at my wits end!

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Yvonne,

I totally understand your frustration, but that is the exact reason YOU should not use the collar. Take this dog to a professional trainer FIRST. Let them get the basic understanding into the little dog. Then, and only then, should electrical stimulation be used to "enforce" known commands. It sounds like he really doesn't KNOW what he should be doing.

May I also suggest you watch some episodes of "The Dog Whisperer" on the Animal Planet channel. This guy is amazing and can get things done that I would have given up on a long time before.

I have trained a lot of dogs, all hunting dogs, and you HAVE to teach the dog to understand what you want first before. I can totally understand frustration as dog training is just like raising kids.

Take a deep breath, step back, and get professional help. It will be the best money you will spend and both you and Fido will benefit immensly.

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

a sweet 16 comes to mind here works EVERY time rick

11. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have trained at least 20 dogs. I love e-collars. They are perfect for teaching a dog not to chase. It is rare that I ever shock a dog and even rarer to have the setting above the lowest setting the dog can feel. I like the little dogtra collars with the vibrate command you can use as a warning. For those that think collars are cruel I would suggest that is far more cruel to have your dogs guts spattered all over the road after being drug by a 3 ton vehicle. Having a pit bull locked on your dogs neck because he wouldn't listen to you could also be considered cruel. I have shocked myself to feel what the dog feels. On the setting that usually works you can barely feel the collar. The only time to use a higher setting is when the dog is in danger. I have used mine to stop them from messing with skunks, snakes and porcupines. I broke one dog from fighting every other male he saw with one. Don't misuse it, but sometimes it is the greatest dog training tool ever made.

12. yvonne

I'm currently using the Scat Mat from Cabelas to keep him out of the rooms he's not supposed to go into. I have it on the lowest setting and he's only stepped on it twice. He's not dumb! I have one scat mat and use large bubble wrap at the other doorways.... (I alternate the scat mat and bubble wrap every few weeks) He doesn't know the difference, only that it's something he doesn't want to walk on. I doubt I'd have to actually low shock him more than a few times before it sinks in. OK...That said, what's the best for the money product?

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I like dogtra the best. I have owned 4 of them and have been happy with all of them. I love the vibrate feature on some of them as a warning or even as a command to come in. Unless you need the longer range of the bigger ones I prefer the smaller collars. I have also heard that tritronics collars are good. I have heard many bad things about innotec collars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.