1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: Shipping a Pistol

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sam (ATA Noobie), Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

UPS has screwed me once again.

I bought a revolver while I was home (S&W 629 in .44mag) but I had flown home and wanted to ship the gun back here to Iowa to myself.

I packaged it up and took it to the UPS store, as I know the USPS only does long guns. The UPS store said I had to take it to the central place. Fine, I had a flight to catch, so I had my Dad take it over there today. They told him they could only ship it to a dealer.

I know what I'm doing is legal. Was this clerk full of crap, or is this a UPS policy? If so, what do you folks do?

Thanks,

Sam

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If you purchased the handgun outside your state of residence, you may already have broken the law.

As for UPS, they will obviously do whatever they feel is correct. If it were you, sending the gun to yourself IN PERSON from the UPS facility, then you'd possibly have a right to question the policy if they refused. If refusing to accept it for shipping from someone else as your agent, they may be within their policy. I have not tried to have someone else ship a firearm for me / to me.

3. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Believe you me, I know the law. And I didn't break them.

I'm a Virginia resident, but go to school in Iowa.

4. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

The US Postal Svc WILL ship handguns but it must be going to an FFL holder or a Manufacturer for repair or modification. I've shipped dozens of pistols back to S&W over the past 20 years with zero problems. And it's about 1/3 of what UPS charges.

In your situation your going to have to find an FFL holder to ship your pistol home.

FN in MT

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The least complicated way of getting the gun back to Iowa would be to take it with you on your next trip from VA. Sounds like you make that trip fairly often. Despite what you may have heard, traveling with a firearm really is not that difficult. Invest in a good hard side travel case and don't have ammo with the gun. Transporting the gun this way won't cost you anything extra and is as reliable as the other shipping methods.

6. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I ship all of my guns out of my shop via Federal Express. Never any problems. Try it and good luck.

7. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Thanks all. I just have a plastic case for it. I've been reading recently about handguns being stolen in airport luggage. Just couldn't get my hands on a lockable aluminum case.

I wanted the gun for hunting season. I'll be headed back to VA (driving) and will just take it back with me. Just wondering for future reference.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Mash the link, all the answeres are linked there. USPS, ATF, UPS, Fedex, all there.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.