1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Shingles Vaccination

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Easystreet, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Has anyone here had the shingles vaccination? Last summer I had a very mild case of the shingles. Yesterday, while getting my annual checkup, my doctor told me that I should get the shingles vaccination. He said that it might keep me from getting a worse case of shingles later.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Easystreet

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have had Shingles and have never heard of anything such as a shot to prevent them ... I will ask my Doctor about it because it will be worth it to keep from having to be in that much pain again ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I got my shingles vaccination last summer, and recommend everyone check with their physician about this. Even a mild case can be extremely painful and the pain can remain long after the physical signs have gone. A severe case, involving the face and eyes for example, can be devastating.

If you ever had chickenpox, even a case so mild as to be undiagnosed, you're at risk for shingles, and the risk increases with age. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that everyone over the age of 60 get the vaccine.

4. B V

B V TS Member

I got the shot 2 years ago.

No complications.

No shingles.

I would do it again.

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Do it, better safe then sorry.

Don

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've heard even with the shot there is a change of getting the shingles but it wouldn't as severe. Either which way I'm going to ask about one after my stress test Friday.

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I have also had the shot got it last spring it didn't feel any different than any other shot. It won't hurt me and could save problems in the future.

Bob Lawless

8. lancelot

lancelot Member

My daughter had Shingles on her face and Docs. were worried about it moving to her eyes and causing blindness. Same thing with a fellow I worked with.

I had a "mild" case of Shingles and it hurt like hell! Enough so that I got the vaccine when I first heard of it. It was expensive, something like $140. That's OK, I would have paid $1,400 if it kept me from getting Shingles again.

So far no ill effects, no Shingles. I'd do it again.

Ron Ireland

9. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Saw a sign outside of a Walgreens Drug Store Monday advertising that they were giving the Shingles shots.

DoubleAuto

10. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

For those of you that prefer a more natural remedy you can try large doses of L-Lysine and Vitamin D (gel-caps) -- 2500 to 3000 IU of Lysine, and 5000+ IU of Vita-D a day.

This information was give to me by a European trained doctor when I came down with a debilitating case of Shingles while on a South American assignment. It helped me within the first week, and I was clear of both rash and pain in less than two weeks. More important, I haven't had a relapse since. Just as a precaution, I do this for a week, 3 or 4 times a year.

Cheap, even with the FedX overnight shipping. I've never really trusted third world medicines, so this was a real blessing.

Kip

11. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Wife and I both had the shot. We know people in the 50's.60'sand 70's who have had shingles and it is very painfull. They all did not have the shot.

12. Easystreet

Well, I got the shingles vaccination today. Thankfully, my Blue Cross paid the cost of the shot, but I still had to pay $25 for the office visit. If it keeps me from getting a bad case of shingles, it will be worth 100 times what I paid for the office visit.

Easystreet

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I got the shot 6 months ago after an 80 year old club member got shingles, He was in pain for months. Just like any other vaccination shot. NOW the kicker, my wife got shingles 6 weeks ago in the face and eye. Pssible eye damage and a great deal of pain. She still has a mild case. She will get the shot once it is cleared up. She is only 57. I URGE ALL OF YOU TO GET THE SHOT!! Fred

14. ramen39

ramen39 Member

My wife and I both got the shot. Cost $210.00 and our insurance wouldn't pay for it. Still think it was money well spent. Know several people that have had shingles and I know I never want to get them. Ask anyone that has had them if they would get the shot.

15. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

I got shingles 29 years ago when I was 28. Mine were on the left side of my face. Perforated my eardrum and paralyzed the left side of my face when it took out the trigeminal nerve that controls motor function of facial muscles. Thank God it didn't get into my eyes. I still have partial paralysis of my face and it has been 29 years since I could smile without looking like an escapee from a mental hospital. I miss my smile. Get the shot.

16. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I cannot emphasize enought GET THE SHOT

17. BWPBeretta

BWPBeretta TS Member

My Doctor who is up on prevention when I asked about the shingles shot he stated that it was a pharmacy shot meaning that while he could give it so could a pharmacy. He went through the statistics which when it ended in my category the chance of it working for me was so small not worth the chance of having the shot. You should consult with your doctor before getting it done a pharmacy.

18. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Wifes insurance paid, mine wasn't going to but after several trips back to the clinic BC-BS finally paid. Minnesota fee was over $250. No problems with the shot, no reaction. Glenn

19. philk

philk Member

Is this a yearly shot or a one time thing ?

20. Easystreet

Click on the link I posted above in the Website URL to read about the vaccine. At the bottom of that page, also click on the link with questions and answers about the shingles disease.

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.