1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/t Shilen DGA .243 rifle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Does anyone know about a custom rifle called a Shilen? It also says DGA which I assume is the model. 22 inch barrel. Bolt action with no iron sights. This one is in a .243 cal. Regards, Jake

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Shhilen makes some pretty good triggers. It's possible they built rifles. Should be on a Remmy 700 action unless it's too old. Yiou can tell by the bolt handle.

There are rifle guys on here that most likely have knowledge.

HM

3. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

They make some of the best barrels in the business.

jim brown

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Aha, website found. Good barrels and gunsmithing, but the DGA action was discontinued in 1990. NOt Remmy then but their own make.

They are top accupracy rifle people. The rifle you have would most likely have a heavy varmint or target contour barrel unless it was built as a sporter.

How much and is it for sale???

HM

5. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

It is for sale and I am negotiating. Thus the reason for my post.

6. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Bill, From the company or by the shooters as a nick name? Jake

7. Stubbie

Stubbie TS Member

DB Bill

I think it was darn good action but will stand corrected if not.

I have two one in 223 single shot and 17 with built in mag.

Stubbie from down under

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

John, It is stocked in fairly plain walnut. The blue is excellent and uniform in a non-glare finish. The 22" barrel is not heavy but I would not describe it as light. But the rifle is clearly for the field and not the bench. It has no iron sights and I don't think a scope was ever mounted on it. My understanding is a widow sold her husbands' guns to this gun dealer after he died. I am not sure it has been used.
    Asking price is a bit over a grand but I think the dealer will negotiate.

9. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Is it a single shot action or a repeater?

10. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Ed Shilens' DGA's are very good actions but, as mentioned above, had limited usage in Benchrest to which it was designed to compete in. If memory serves me, the original DGA action was heavy, which proportionally reduced the weight of the barrel you could use. Heavy, stiff barrels produce accuracy. The Light Varmint class has a limitation of 10.5 lbs. The DGA had some usage in the Heavy Varmint class because of the 13.5 lb weight limit.

In later years, Ed Shilen produced the DGAS action. The S signified Short. But it lacked another absolutely vital accuracy attribute,,bedding area. To properly support a 5lb 8oz barrel hanging out front, more bedding area was desirable.

This is with a Benchrest application.

For a hunting application, an as manufactured DGA, free of someones well intended modifications, is a considerable step up from any mass produced receiver. If the gun is near new condition, that price is a steal. Some custom actions alone cost $1000.

Good luck.

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont think the resale value is there

If you spend over 500 on it- plan on keeping it for life

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Gee Gene. I paid 800 bucks and thought I stole it. I'm sure you are a good judge of the value of fine firearms but I have three private emails offering me over a grand for it. The Blue Book (not known for overvaluing guns) has it in this condition at $950 to $1,175.
    All that is academic to me. I ain't ever sold a gun and I don't plan to start with this one.

Regards, Jake

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I didnt know what you paid for it-- just trying to give a warning

Custom rifles are hard to sell under the best of conitions

The blue book isnt bad but it is usually well over private party sale--- maybe a dealer can get more- dont know

regards and glad you are happy with it

Gene

14. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

You have to keep in mind the value changes depending on WHO is selling it. JMHO Bill

15. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Yep. Guns are interesting things in the market place. If you really want to sell a specific one they can feel like a stone. If you want a specific one they can seem like the Holy Grail. And yet the sellers think they are worth a ransom. The buyers think they aren't worth crap. A fascinating currency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shilen dga 472 243

shilen dga-m

shilen dga-s target rifle